4 AM Kitchen Fire......

Old 11-19-2007, 03:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

Angry 4 AM Kitchen Fire......

A small grease fire ensued in my kitchen at about 4 am this morning. The cause is still unknown but I can tell you this much. Before the grease caught the burner on fire it splashed up on me causing a nice burn on my stomach!!

So in the midst of screaming "DAMN THIS SUCKS" I'm having to put out the small fire........only I tried putting it out with my dish towel which no longer exists for obvious reasons.

Now whyyyyyyyy did a grease fire start in my kitchen at 4 this morning?? Good question!

I've had a horrible head cold/Flu since Wednesday of last week and nothing I was taking was working so I went to the local pharmacist who gave me some cold and sinus medicine that wasn't on the shelf anymore. He said something about some idiots using the medicine to make meth or something along those lines. But he said it would take the swelling down off my throat because eating has been a complete nightmare!

Well.........it did take the swelling down, but I have yet to go to sleep!! So.......I said to myself, "you haven't really eaten anything..........make a hamburger". Stupid stupid stupid!! I've had some major duh uh moments in my life time, but this has to take the cake!!

So I read the ingredients.........pseudo-ephedrine..........or however you spell it. I've since thrown the entire box in the trash! My question is.........why would this even need to be an ingredient to make a stimulant drug when it is exactly that all by itself? And If little ole drug free me can start a kitchen fire on this stuff can you imagine what someone who has mixed this with other chemicals can do? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! That in itself should scare the bajeebas out of anyone even wanting to mix these chemicals together! Can you imagine what anything stronger than this could do to a person? I'm waiting for the big crash myself! I'll never EVER do this again. I think I'd rather suffer with the flu!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Awwww, Loves, I hope you are not hurt badly and I'm sorry you're sick too.

For you and others, please make a note....grease fires can be deadly so always use extreme caution. Having some baking soda near the stove will help if the fire is just on the stove. If a pot is on fire, turn off the heat and throw on a lid, if possible...and NEVER EVER use water to try and put it out. And don't do what I did once when this happened to me...do NOT pick up the pot to try and throw it outside. I was lucky, but this can be fatal and is a very dangerous thing to do.

The best lesson is to never leave a pot unattended. It is amazing how quickly something can go wrong. I once forgot about boiling eggs and went out briefly, only to come home to a place filled with smoke and smelling awful. Even that was lucky, if I had gone for the day it could have been much much worse.

Sending hugs and hope your cold gets better soon. And yes, I would toss those pills too, there are many other less dangerous medications that will help relieve the symptoms of a cold, including good old chicken soup and lots of rest.

Hugs
Old 11-19-2007, 03:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Kris,
Please take care of yourself. The flu sounds better than what that sh*t can do and did to you. Try to get some rest, you need it. Your week sounds like mine, but remember this too shall pass. Hope you are feeling better real soon.
Hugs coming to you
Old 11-19-2007, 03:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

and NEVER EVER use water to try and put it out.
I learned that one the hard way too! I was making home made fries and took the potatoes from cold water and threw them on the grease..........Oh boy........LOL
Old 11-19-2007, 04:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh loves thank goodness your alright. Hope u can finally get some sleep and that medicine is like speed I have had to take it myself a couple of times. Good ol fashion advil, vitamins, water will work too and dont forget REST. Grease fires are scary.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you are ok. Ann is sooo right-keep baking soda within reach of a stove. Also, keep a big lid-sometimes you can just smother a small fire.

The meds you got from the druggist are the ones used in meth. Take 2 as directed and your eyes will open and you will breath. I took them for sinus headaches when I moved here in '89. Dr. said NOOOO-bad for a person even if they are over the counter. Here they are now behind the counter, you have to sign for them and they are supposed to be carefully watched. Scarey stuff, will keep you up forever. Will also make your blood pressure go through the roof and then some.

Take care, wrap up and pamper yourself!!!!!

Betcha the burger was well done?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good grief!!! Glad you are ok Loves....................

Hope you get to feeling better! :comfort:
Old 11-19-2007, 05:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Kris))) I am glad you are alright! Man what a mess. I don't take that stuff either....it makes me feel like I am out of it and I don't like that feeling.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OMG Loves,
What a scare!!! I'm glad things didn't get out of control. Did you get checked out for the burn on your stomach? Keep an anitbiotic ointment on it so you don't get an infection.

Take care, sweetie.........Lo
Old 11-19-2007, 06:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Kris -

I hope that you are okay. This all sounds dreadful. Take care of your beautiful self.

Love, DOnna
Old 11-19-2007, 06:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

(((((Kris))))))

Oh, sweetie. You have to be careful. I'm glad it didn't turn out too bad and
I hope you are feeling better soon.
Love ya,
Old 11-19-2007, 06:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

loves,

scary stuff - my exbil just had his house burn down (a dryer fire) - my girlfriend just had her kitchen burn down (an outlet next to the sink) - and now you - at least everyone is ok - my ex bil said it was the scariest thing ever - they lost everything...

i'm just glad you are ok and i think things really happen in threes so i guess, im selfishly thinking i'm safe, cuz that was three...

love,
s
Old 11-19-2007, 06:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

(((Loves)))
Youch, burns are painful!
Depending on the size of the burn, you may want to visit your family Dr.
Burns are nothing to fool around with, ad the Dr. can prescribe you some cream for burns that will stop the pain.

Okay now we've heard from the S.R. Fire Marshall,
The S.R. Julia Childs,
and Nurse Ratchet!

Hope you're okay .....
Old 11-19-2007, 06:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((Loves))

how scary!!! glad you are ok - please take good care of that burn!!

hope you feel better soon,
Rita
Old 11-19-2007, 06:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

oh dear! I can't take sudafed either. Makes me crazy! I deal with sinus issues a lot. Nose spray works better for me. Its sudafed but it only works locally not systemically. So it doesn't make ya crazy. You can only use it for 3 days though. It'll make your nose bleed otherwise. I hope you feel better soon! Hope your burn heals quickly!
Old 11-19-2007, 06:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

I too have decided that if they can make Meth out of the cold medicine then maybe I need to look for tamer ways to fight cold symptoms. It pretty scary!
Old 11-19-2007, 06:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

And so sorry you were up all night!
I sooo need my sleep! when i don't get it! lots of badddd can happen!!!:mock
Old 11-19-2007, 08:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Geeze Loueeze girl.. Glad you are OK.

I use the stuff they now hide behind the counter if I have a head cold. Use it days ONLY as it can allow me to still go to work. I hate head colds.. and the attending sore throat. I will say the stuff works tho I only take it days and only for the first two days. Never had any truly ill effects, thos I have been sick as a dog from the substitute stuff (that did not work BTW).

The stuff never really had any impact on me other than allowing me to breathe and to get rid of the sore throat part of the thing.

Very important to read the lable and to know that each person reacts differently to any drug or substance. The lable gives you the general results and reactions, you may react differently.

That is how addiction works too. Not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic....
Old 11-19-2007, 09:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well done hamburger ROFLMAO
Old 11-19-2007, 11:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

(((Loves))) Glad you didn't get hurt any worse. I hope you feel better soon.