Notices

Cutting

Old 11-18-2007, 03:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cutting

Hi - I was wondering if anyone here ever cut themselves.

I use to when I was in high school, which was years ago and before the medical profession even looked into it. They all thought I was suicidal and I would tell them, "no."

I would cut my arms and inside thighs. I haven't in a few years but every now and then get an urge when a deep depression swoops over me. I've been to therapists and they say I have all the characteristics of a person that was sexually abused but I don't recall any abuse in that nature.

Anyways - I was just wondering if anyone else was out there that use to do this too.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Indigo

Yes, I used to do it for over 23 years. Talk about nobody even knowing anything about it! I was finally able to quite after putting myself in the burn center 4 times.

Last edited by 13NRcrew; 11-18-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

I have no experience with cutting, but, want to welcome you to SR!
I look forward to getting to know you.

Shalom!
Old 11-18-2007, 08:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

i did once, but rather my choice of self injury is scratching.

There are others here tho. If you use the search feature here & type in cutting and/or self-injury to pull up other threads on the topic.

hugs,
jenna
Old 11-18-2007, 08:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

*slightly OT*

Originally Posted by Hooner View Post
I would cut my arms and inside thighs. I haven't in a few years but every now and then get an urge when a deep depression swoops over me. I've been to therapists and they say I have all the characteristics of a person that was sexually abused but I don't recall any abuse in that nature.

Anyways - I was just wondering if anyone else was out there that use to do this too.
I'd be pretty care with this kind of stuff. There is a belief that some people cut in reaction to trauma/abuse, which *can* happen, but that doesn't meant it *did* happen. Sometimes people make the jump, and they may be led to 'mis-remember' memories. Memory repression is a very dicey thing, and not well understood. Being able to properly navigate this stuff requires an expert, and even then it isn't ideal.

-p
Old 11-18-2007, 09:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by Hooner View Post
Hi - I was wondering if anyone here ever cut themselves.

I use to when I was in high school, which was years ago and before the medical profession even looked into it. They all thought I was suicidal and I would tell them, "no."

Yea, I cut for years, I just had my 2 year anniversary from not cutting. I think any doctor who understands cutting wouldn't tell you the characteristics of a cutter, since there are so many reasons that people do cut, and your characteristics are unique to you. (does that make sense? lol) But like you said so many doctors don't understand it.

I have this thing I will copy for you it may help you, I'm not sure, it's called the Impulse Control Log, a lot of self harmers use it.
Welcome to SR

IMPULSE CONTROL LOG

The impulse control log is taken from S.A.F.E and is geared specifically for self-injury but can be used for many types of compulsions.
With the impulse control log it is required that you log down every thought or feeling associated with a particular urge to self injure, whether or not you actually go through with the act or not. In the beginning the goal is that the writing will become a diversion from the act itself. The long-term goal is to understand the connection between your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.

Self-injury itself is a thought, not a feeling. Once you can fully grasp and understand that internally, you can begin to understand that self-injury is a behavior and behaviors can be changed.

Self-injury keeps us from dealing with uncomfortable feelings. Feelings or thoughts we find unacceptable are disguised through self-harming in some way although only a temporary relief is felt. If you feel the need to self-harm there is a feeling behind that, something you need to express.

Using the impulse control log is a good way to make you slow down, think before you act and remind you that you are in control.

IMPULSE CONTROL LOG

1.SELF-INJURY THOUGHTS:

2.TIME AND DATE:

3.LOCATION:

4.SITUATION:

5.FEELING:

6.WHAT WOULD BE THE RESULT OF SELF-INJURY?

7. WHAT WOULD I BE TRYING TO COMMUNICATE WITH MY SELF-INJURY?

8.ACTION TAKEN:

9.COMMENTS:
Old 11-18-2007, 10:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I use to cut when I was late teens and early twenties. now 42. I finally quit with the help of a loving husband.

Last edited by historyteach; 11-20-2007 at 01:48 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i cut when i was a teen and again for a couple of years.. i havent cut for 2 years but still get strong urges.. its a tough one to stop