Notices

new to this.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to this.

Hello. I found this site by typing into google "I had to breakup with my alcoholic girlfriend."

so here I am. alone and scared after one year of empty promises and rationalizing and compromises and finally, tough love on my part.

I just broke up with the woman I love because her alcoholism got in the way so much, I couldn't find the woman I loved anymore.

I am going through a lot of emotions right now. guilt that i left her, maybe i should've been stronger in dealing with it despite seeing no change, etc etc. anger that all of this had to happen in the first place. and the surreal feeling that even though i am not an addict i am still coping with it anyway and dealing with the same feelings.

i'm just wondering if today too is the first day of the rest of my life, what to do now? do i just walk away and disappear into a void? do i offer some sort of friendship via email? is any support, even distant support, good? i won't stop caring for her obviously, and yet i'm obviously now in self preservation mode.

i just wonder where does one begin to pick up the pieces, you know?
Old 11-18-2007, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

I've had two boyfriends leave me because of my alcoholism. I'm glad they did. To date, they're two of the best friends I've had in my attempts at recovery, and one is one of my closest friends, period.

I bet she'd appreciate an email saying that you still care, and that you'll support her if/when she decides to get sober.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We have a friends and families section here for those who live with or whose lives have been affected by an alcoholic. I'll get you a link for it.
I'm sorry you're hurting, but I'm glad that you found us.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ly-alcoholics/

Last edited by Rowan; 11-18-2007 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added link
Old 11-18-2007, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm sorry you are going through this.

As Rowan said, check out our Friends & Families forums.