What is the trick?

Old 11-18-2007, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is the trick?

My wife stopped her vodka consumption over a year and a half ago. It was when her doctor told her she had 4 to 6 weeks of life left if she did not stop, it was the only reason. Although she told him she had "a couple drinks a night", it was I that let him know they were 32oz cups, and it was 1/2 gal a week.

We dealt with the Post Acute Withdrawal Symptons, and there are still lingering effects and brain damage. She is coherent now, and 1/2 way cognizant. My question is what will motivate her to try to overcome some of the brain damage?

She is seeing a neurologist, they did a CT brain scan and identified the lingering damage, and has prescribed meds.

We are doing counseling, and she shrugs off their suggestions.

She denies the extent of the problems, expected when dealing with alkies. How do you get past that?

She tried AA, and since she never found the correct group of supporters, it was not for her.

I am almost losing it, it is difficult to see her sit on the sofa for hours per day, doing little, if anything, that will help her recovery back to near whole.

Somebody got a shoulder to cry on?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its wonderful that she has maintained sobriety!

As to her dealing with the lasting damage, I have no suggestions. It seems to me that its another case of only she can decide to do what she needs to do. I symptahize with your frustration watching her denial but I do not know of any way to break through it.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Would it be possible for you to go to AA meetings with her, most meetings are open to any one. It has been suggested that a new person hit 6 meetings before deciding on a home group. And if a person cannot get into treatment for whatever reason, the suggestion is 90 meetings in 90 days. you may also have to attend, just for moral support, and at first you may have to be a little assertive. GOOD LUCK TO YOU
Old 11-18-2007, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would suggest Al-Anon for you. ((()))
Old 11-18-2007, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

go to meetings & try to get her to go. talk with her dr. about her other problems & keep coming back here.welcome to S.R. we are glad you are here. read around the post & read the topics in the forum. prayers for you & your wife, hope
Old 11-18-2007, 04:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR - they say that when someone quits drinking and she has ....which is a very good thing....and they are not working some kind of a 12 step program to get rid of the "stinkin thinkin" mentality.....that they are known as a dry drunk. Which is simply the same ways of thinking and acting but without the alcohol. The mind has to be retrained ....... to go back and be somewhat of what it was like before the alcohol damage. JMHO

Keep posting there is alot of info here and please read the stickies at the top also you will find more info there.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I don't know if it's possible for a person who was 4-6 weeks away from death due to advanced alcoholism and now suffers from brain damage as a result to get back to "near whole," but it is possible for you to get back to "near whole" yourself. Alanon, SR, and counseling helped me heal.

Welcome to the forum.