Notices

What Should I Do?

Old 11-17-2007, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Should I Do?

I'm trying to find a place to live where I go to school. I have contacted the landlord of the apartment complex I used to stay at but he hasn't returned my phone calls or emails. It is only 1 block from my college.

But the thing is that he was holding an apartment for me in August because I thought I was going back to school that semester. Then the school told me around August 20th that I wasn't going back to school so I wasn't going to have the financial aid money to pay for that apartment. So I had to call him and tell him that I couldn't move in. I caused him to lose almost a month of rent since he was holding that apartment for me and I found out at the last minute I couldn't move in. I think he is angry at me and that is why he won't return my phone calls. I feel bad about it but I didn't know that I wasn't going to school.

Would I owe him a financial amends and pay the money that I caused him to lose for that month of rent?
I would like to live there again in the future but I think I have screwed it up?
Old 11-17-2007, 07:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Cheryl,

I don't think you owe him a financial amends. You didn't maliciously intend for him to lose money. You asked him to do something for you, and if he agreed, that's that. You advised him that you couldn't move in as soon as the school notified you, so I can't see where you did anything wrong.
Still. He may be angry, you're right. Why not drop by one afternoon and speak to him face to face? He may just be busy for all you know. Be honest, and see what he has to say.
BTW I'm very happy that you're going back to school.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rowan's right Cheryl. I don't think you did anything wrong it was all in good faith.
Speak to the guy f2f

D
Old 11-17-2007, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That makes me feel better. I will go talk to him face to face. The happiness that I felt for getting back in school has been drowned by all the stress of finding a place to stay and not being able to get into any of the classes I need. I have been really stressed and I'm trying to be calm and not freak out. But I keep going in panic mode.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you haven't already, amp up those meetings and keep sharing what you're feeling, Cheryl. Soon you'll have a place and you'll be settled in school again. Take good care of yourself, get lots of rest and nurture yourself. He will provide.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things like living arrangements and classes do sort themselves out Cheryl. All part of what millions of students face each semester.

Just try and relax, like Rowan says, go to the meetings and share, and be happy in the knowledge that you're best equipped to deal with this stuff sober.

D
Old 11-17-2007, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for being here you guys You have no idea how much that meant to me. I feel a little more calm now. I'm very, very grateful!