Notices

The New Guy

Old 11-16-2007, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The New Guy

Hello everyone,

I found these posts on the internet and I thought it would be good for me to participate. I've been reading a lot of what you folks have to say out there and I'm gonna stick my neck out for those of you who do not feel AA is a reasonable solution for you.

My drinking started about 3 years ago (non-social) after I realized it could eliminate my anxiety and help prevent panic attacks (bad idea). For a while, it was wonderful, until one day I realized I NEEDED it to sleep. Keep in mind my anxiety wasn't caused by anything going on in my life, it was a 'gift' passed on by my mother.

Once I realized I needed it, I tried to stop. When I wasn't able to I decided it was time to get some help. I checked myself into an outpatient clinic and spent a couple of weeks hearing the horrors some of those people have been through. When it came to my turn, I told them that I had anxiety and couldn't sleep. Of course, that is a symptom of withdrawl and that is how they addressed it - completely ignoring the plain and clear reason for it starting my drinking in the first place.

I left the clinic convinced that they couldn't help me. I attended AA for a few meetings but their beliefs do not align with mine, so I gave up. For the past 2 years I've accepted that there was nothing I could do as every doctor I talked to gave me a number instead of something for the axiety. I knew I could never get better without treating the root cause. So, I didnt tell them I drank and I was prescribed Paxil (that stuff is great!). I thought that could help me quit knowing I wouldn't get the panic attacks, but the damage was done.

I then began my search for a medication that I could use to quit drinking. I poured over countless studies and once I saw the actual success rates for AA, I knew then it REALLY was not an option for me. One medication, antabuse, statistically had the highest success rate for quitting. I hate to be sick - didn't usually get sick from drinking.. so I gave it more thought. Most of the time I am in control, my cravings only hit before bed. So, I searched for a doctor willing to prescribe it. Three doctors down, not a one would help. So I went to the campral website and was able to find one that would prescribe that medicine, so I took a chance and contacted him.

Today I had my meeting with him and I'm glowing. He prescribed it for me after we chatted for a while and I fed him numbers about the treatments and how I was confident this would work for me. He didn't feel I needed anymore couseling as besides my drinking, I'm very happy and comfortable in my life, besides the habit.

My point to those that don't feel AA is good for you - do your research. There are tons of alternatives - you pick what is right for you. Everybody is different and there isn't a single treatment option out there that works for all. For those that it did help (and I personally know a couple), good for you! Getting better is everyone's goal and we should support each other, no matter what path we take.

To a better life!
Old 11-16-2007, 06:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

new guy... to a better life!!!

welcome to the wide wide world of recovery!

all good wishes!

rz
Old 11-16-2007, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and welcome GuyIA . Lost of different people and ways to be found here. We all have recovery in common though. Keep posting.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to our recovery community, it's always good to see new members posting. Thanks for your share
Old 11-16-2007, 06:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RJS

Nine outta ten people who come through the doors don't wanna stop drinking, they want the consequences to stop, they want someone off their backs, they want to 'feel good' about themselves, they are lonely, the list goes on and on. My observations.
That's the ones who show up.

Eight out of nine drunks never come through the doors in the first place. I can count a good eight or nine drinking buddies, in and out of treatments, jails, etc., I am the one of those who searched out the solution offered by AA.

Horrible success rates.
I'll take your thinly disguised slash at me, since I am AA, as the greeting you attempted to pass it as, and say welcome back.
Cheers
Old 11-16-2007, 06:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the friendly neighborhood. Mr Rogers ( Astro ) doesn't seem to be here right now But I'm sure he sends his love.

Best wishes

Rob
Old 11-16-2007, 06:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All I was trying to do is point out there are many others out there that have AA forced as their solution where it might not be appropriate for that person. I certainly respect that AA works for you and I apologize if I offended. I have AA friends and they've been very supportive of my path.

Given the option of getting no help unless they conform to that program is the wrong way to go. I'm an analyst in my career so I tend to do research before coming to a conclusion - I wasn't just spouting off. Even with lower success rates I have been reading about, there is obvious benefits to some of us. Again, good for you! You have to do what works for you.

Best wishes.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome New Guy,

I think you should do whatever works for you because all that matters is that you live a sober life. AA works wel for a lot of people, but there are many of us here who use alternative recovery methods.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RJS

Sorry if I was sharp. Most of those anti-AA greetings are cut and past form letters, I took it as that and bit before I googled. You're a genuinely literate fellow.
My Dad drank and puked his way through antabuse and finally learned to stop taking antabuse. Some of us find more serious lengths necessary.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree antabuse isn't for everyone. My cravings don't occur through the day - usually around 8:30 or 9 and I fight with myself on whether I'm going to drink or not. Fortunately, I haven't had any consequences in my life but I could see the path I was on.

IF I knew I would continue to drink, I would not take antabuse. That is why I got that instead of the campral, which the doctor really wanted to prescribe. I knew I had to take the option away.

I could go a couple days without drinking before..but that voice always bothered me in the evenings. Tonight, I know I can't drink and it's a major stress relief. It actually makes me emotional finally finding a doctor willing to hear me out and help.

I'm going to enjoy getting to know you all. My real name is Rob, by the way. I see another one on here, so you can call me Bobby.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RJS

If you have solved your problems, your relief is well earned! Nothing to force on or fix something not broken,
Welcome aboard.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What up!
GuyinIA
That is impressive, someone who does his homework. I too have searched for alternatives and options. Good luck! Keep posting
Old 11-16-2007, 07:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Rob, I'm Ann. I really appreciate your post. I've gone to a couple AA meetings, and I don't think I can deal with the religious overtones, it feels too cultish to me. It's so encouraging to hear from someone who's recovered without AA.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

Analyst RIGHT ON!! That's me all the way. Hey Whittenboy, how is your research coming? :mock

Welcome to SR Bobby, lot's of great people here. Keep reading and writing.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tellus View Post
Rob, I'm Ann. I really appreciate your post. I've gone to a couple AA meetings, and I don't think I can deal with the religious overtones, it feels too cultish to me. It's so encouraging to hear from someone who's recovered without AA.
Hello, Ann!
I wouldn't say I've recovered but I'm well on my way. My doctor, too, felt that the group sessions were not necessary with MY condition, but some folks have real reasons why they drink where mine was more medical.

I won't insult the folks on here that have adapted AA as their way to defeat their own demons, but society as a whole has to understand that many people who suffer from alcoholism do not get help due to the current focus on AA being the "only way". It's a real shame and it's something I feel very passionate about.

We are all in this together!!
Old 11-16-2007, 08:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Man, I just gotta say ... what a RELIEF!

It seems to me that what this poster is implying is that they finally came out with a drug that cures alcoholism, and it's apparently called antabuse.

I'm sure there's gonna be LOTS of people interested in this 'antabuse' given it's incredible healing properties.

Who makes the stuff, I think I'm gonna go invest a few thou ins some of THAT company's stock?!?

Oh, wait, before I do that, lemme ask you? How long does it take before it cures someone? A day? A week? A month? Does it have any side effects, to speak of?

Man, I'm getting all fired up excited to hear about THIS stuff!
Old 11-16-2007, 08:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Paused

Very true, I had 8 years of sobriety under my belt, I did this without AA and I do feel that society on a whole "has to understand that many people who suffer from alcoholism do not get help due to the current focus on AA being the "only way" There are plenty of alternatives out there that help people greatly. They just are not broadly talked about. Some much for "Autonomy" ~ But I do know that AA works for many many people and I thank goodness that it is available for those that can embrass it fully.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bvaljalo View Post

Man, I'm getting all fired up excited to hear about THIS stuff!
Yeah, real funny. Way to show your support. If I started applying some of the success rates for other treatment options, not just AA, to everyday situations perhaps it would really get you fired up.

There is no miracle cure...I would never be so nieve. But what helps you might not help me...doesn't take a genious to figure that out.

Bottom line, the antabuse will help me get past the cravings. Then it's up to me to make sure I don't go down that path.

Negative attitudes like yours are what steals hope from people everyday.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I can't believe the venom spewing from the AA camp! Doesn't it say in the big book that they don't claim a monopoly on recovery?

There are as many ways to get sober as there are alcoholics. AA doesn't work for everyone, and that is FINE. We need to do what is good for us and not judge others for making different choices.

Isn't the important thing sobriety? What does it matter how someone gets there?

Welcome GuyinIA, and good luck.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

For the first time in two years, I KNOW I will beat this. Some negativity from some folks isn't going to change that fact. I have the full support of my friends, family, and my physician.

I look forward to posting updates on my progress over the next few months and I look forward to hearing about your successes as well!!

I read something in a book that sticks in my mind: "Once a smoker quits smoking, are they still a smoker? Why are alcoholics still alcoholics when they have successfully quit drinking? In both instances, they are one drink/cigarrette away from disaster"