When people say 'what is working for you'

Old 11-16-2007, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Of a very foolish nature

When people say 'what is working for you'

For me it is true to say that I made a decision long ago to stop drinking. Like a shift.

I don't think I need to do anything to 'keep' me sober, like I don't have to do anything to stop me putting a ciggerette out in my eye. It's just something I don't want to do anymore.

How do you see it?
Old 11-16-2007, 05:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Of a very foolish nature

Staying healthy, happy, and productive is a different matter. That requires some graft. I am tired, its 1am over here - rambling.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wish it was that simple and clearcut for me. There was definitely a shift, otherwise how can I have gone a year-something without a drink (happily) when before I used to swear blind that that was the last time, EVER! (etc.) and be blacked-out and f***ed-up by the end of the day.

What is working for me?

For a start: Good habits, cumulative sanity, hope, love of friends and family, a little bit of honesty in the right places, the advice and example of others, (good) fear of what would happen if I returned to my old ways, a sense of purpose, abiding disgust at the time I wasted and the opportunities I squandered, a little space of inner calm (don't know where it came from) - not much, but enough, some constant wariness too - I still don't trust myself around booze or bars or boozy people.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Of a very foolish nature

They get on my ****, to be honest. I just find it a bit wasteful to be around drunk people. I think maybe I'd find it difficult at a rave where loads of people on E - because, although an alky, my root back to booze would be through an E, I would think. I don't even bother going to places where people take it.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Of a very foolish nature

I used to swear blind to quit. Or the classic, 'only a few tonight' but then be so drunk I could barely talk by the end of the night. Good only for barfing.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I now occasionally go out with friends who are drinking, usually old friends who I haven't seen in a long time. I sit and enjoy my ginger ale. But after about two hours I usually get quite bored and tired. Maybe it's my age, but without drinking, I just don't have the stamina or attention span to stay up and I wind up going home and going to bed.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Of a very foolish nature

In my first two years or so of recovery I was knackered all the time, if I layed down I'd fall asleep. Reading in bed for more than ten minutes was nigh impossible. The psychic tension was immense in the first few years, head going round and round all day - and my body was repearing I reckon too.

Can read for hours now though!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I could not live that way any more. I stopped and started so many times. Let's just say I am not jumping into that fire anymore. Been burnt to many times.

Never thought I would say this, but I like myself today. I had a very supporting family. There is so much more to life than getting messed up. After living almost seven years without using, I like this life better.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Of a very foolish nature

...been to hell...it was terrible...not going back....