Notices

Ready or not, here they come!!!

Old 11-16-2007, 10:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Ready or not, here they come!!!

The dreaded Holiday Season!!!

How is this year's Thanksgiving going to be different from last year?

How are you planning to do whatever necessary to stay clean and sober?

What are you most not looking forward to?

Is there anything you need to avoid (other than drinking/drugging)?

What can you do to make someone else's day better? It really isn't all about you, after all.

Oh, you can crawl under the covers, and wait until it's safe to come out on Friday, November 23rd. Or, you can start right now to work on having a positive attitude and determining to make the Holiday as pleasant as possible for yourself and those around you. Like it or not, there will be another Thanksgiving next year, and the year after that, etc...so, you might just as well "suck it up" now and get used to it.

Seriously, friends...it needn't be an ordeal. It can be as good or as bad as you, yourself, make it. You do have "The Power to change the things I can." Share with us your thoughts on Thanksgiving 2007.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I never have had a problem cause I would always happen to spend it w/family that dont serve alcohol on thanksgiving.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Speaking as a Canuck, we had our turkey day in early October. I spent it with my family at the cottage. I am grateful to have such a wonderful one. We hiked in the woods with the dogs and the kids and it was the greatest!

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Yanks! Stay sober and don't forget my birthday.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

The holiday season for years has always brought the raging addict out of me. This time of year is when I go on super turbo using.
I dont know why it just happens that way.
BUT..This year is going to be different. I am going to stay clean and start working on my recovery harder during this time that is suppose to be spent with my big wonderful family.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi J.N.!

I live in Italy and we don't celebrate Thanks Giving here (I guess you'd like that! ) so your post doesn't apply to me, but not liking Christmas and New Years and Birthdays and all that much myself I can understand that their must be a good few people who don't like Thanks Giving either.
Even if I can't directly relate to Thanks Giving I thought that was a nice thought provoking post you've written their. Well done. The bit about making somebody else's day better has got me thinking.
I was actually convinced Thanks Giving was yesterday anyway!
Have a nice day.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
don't forget my birthday.
When's your b-day Rowan? Is it your belly button b-day or your sober b-day?
Old 11-16-2007, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My belly button bday on the 23rd. Spread the word. Send presents
Old 11-16-2007, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Originally Posted by Jersey Nonny View Post
The dreaded Holiday Season!!!

(This will be the first in over 50 years that I won't be cooking a big turkey dinner with all the fixings for my family. Every year, I would say, "I'm not doing this again!"...and, every year, I would plan as usual, cook as usual, gripe as usual...but, I really loved it!)

(Fortunately, since I haven't had a drink in 28 years, I don't think it will be a problem; but, I'll still remain vigilant...ya never know who might decide to sneak a little booze in the nursing home!)

(Spending the day with about 100 comparative strangers instead of my family.)

(Getting on the pity-pot, and allowing myself to feel blue.)

What can you do to make someone else's day better? It really isn't all about you, after all.

(Being aware of someone else who's feeling a bit "down", and doing my best to cheer them up.)

As my daughter always says, "It is what it is."
Old 11-16-2007, 12:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Thanksgiving will be different for me this year. This year, me and my partner and ALL the kids (six of em) are invited to my sisters! There will be wine there, but no biggie. My lovely sis doesn't drink around me, and Dad, well, whatever..

Also, I'll be making coffee for my home group meeting that night..so, I'll be hitting a meeting after stuffing myself silly!

Karen
Old 11-16-2007, 12:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
let it grow!

NOT ready
Old 11-16-2007, 01:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Angry

I so agree with you, Chiy! A great excuse to go totally overboard. I'm going to try and remember all the holidays that I ruined for myself by allowing them to fly by without me even savoring what they were all about - sitting under the tree opening gifts with such a horrible hangover & shakes (having stayed up until 3am) that I couldn't wait until it was late enough to have a "little something" to put out the fire. Relatives would come over and have tea, but I'd have wine in my tea cup. I remember waking up the day after Christmas, walking out into the living room, and being shocked that all the gifts had already been opened the day before. Then I remembered, of course, that Christmas had already come and gone! I used to love the holidays and hated what I allowed them to become - an excuse for overindulging in every way possible. They passed by with me not even being in attendance. Thanks for reminding me of this.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Lurker

My AA home group is planning a dinner for people, and famlies that have no where to go. So I plan on helping with that, and head home to then cook for the in-laws. This will be the big test. I hope by doing some service work, and taking in a meeting will help me survive with a little serenity. Hope every one in the good ole USA has a good turkey day.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm excited about spending Thanksgiving sober. For the last few years, I always showed up with a bottle of vodka because it is hard to deal with my family. I would always excuse myself and take a shot of vodka each time I left the room. It saddens me for all that I let pass and didn't appreciate what it all meant to me. This year, I want to spend it with special people and celebrate the true meaning of thankfulness and gratitude.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't drink, so staying sober won't be an issue. Not only that, I told all my friends and Family that I don't drink and why I don't drink. They won't be offering me any either.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I'm much better than I was last year. I remember 'dodging' places (grocery stores, etc) for fear of someone from the bar 'running into' me ... not being able to sleep ... being so SICK (the kidney thing wasn't diagnosed yet)

Surrounding myself with people in the Fellowship and with this new (for me) group of sober friends and neighbors.

Figuring out how to make green bean casserole ... for twenty five.

Spilling gravy on my new sweater. Seconds. Thirds. 'Take home plates'.

What can you do to make someone else's day better?

Trust that I'll know what to do - when The Infinite ... shows me.

It really isn't all about you, after all.

*gasp* yuh, HUH ... is TOO!!!!!

Thanks Rae!!!!
Old 11-17-2007, 12:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

seriously jersey, that was an awesome post. i seem to be just learning the power of my own actions, good or bad (as i may see them). Ive been learning alot about my alcoholism and even though that i have come to believe that it is as much a physical disease as cancer may be. I know that only through GOD can i truely be healed and well may some inpatient treatment, lol. But really your sentiments are mine and i believe that what you say is true and i vow to make this holiday a special one for the people around me. Thanks for the post and happy holidays friend.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

what DOES one use ... to stir ... Green bean casserole ... for twenty five?
Old 11-17-2007, 04:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Thankswhat?
Old 11-17-2007, 07:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Figuring out how to make green bean casserole ... for twenty five.
Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
what DOES one use ... to stir ... Green bean casserole ... for twenty five?
My estimate (based on past dinners for eight) would be 4 - 5 cans of either French style or long-cut green beans, 2 - 3 cans of mushroom soup (undiluted, of course). Mix these ingredients together (heck, you could use your hands, as long as they're clean). Put them in a medium oven just until they're heated through. Sprinkle on 2 - 3 cans of French's fried onions, and put back in oven for 10 - 15 minutes...just until onions start to brown.

You'll figure it out, Barb...you're a smart alcoholic!!! :mock Honey, it ain't rocket science.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

What can you do to make someone else's day better?
Glad to hear of an AA meeting going to prepare dinner for those who may otherwise have none. Several of the groups in our area used to do the same thing. It really did feel good contributing a covered dish or two, while a couple of the members would take on roasting a couple of turkeys. All the members pitched in decorating, serving, cleaning up.

If you know of several folks who'll be spending the day alone, why not get together at someone's apartment/house and plan a simple meal to share...it doesn't have to be a huge turkey...chicken will do just as well. Even when my family and I were still spending the Holiday together, we would always try to invite one or two we knew would be alone otherwise.

Many AA groups would hold Gratitude Meetings in the evening. Members would take turns going to the podium to share briefly on what they were grateful for. It was always uplifting and inspiring.