AA Speaker at my Alanon Anniversary

Old 11-14-2007, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

AA Speaker at my Alanon Anniversary

We had an AA speaker at my Alanon anniversary and when listening to him, it made me realize the full scope of the disease of alcoholism. He was talking about his marriage and his struggles, etc., and he said when he had seizures and went to the hospital, he told his wife, "this is it, no more" and remained sober for 6 weeks, had every intention of staying sober, he was happy, his wife was happy, then BAM, came home drunk and drank for weeks on end afterward. He explained how the very thing he did not want to do (drink), he was still doing. When the wife got upset, he, of course, would tell her he didn't need her (alcohol made him think that alcohol was all he needed). That just showed me what a strong hold alcohol had on him. I never realized that or saw it that way, but thank God, with the help of AA and his HP, he is sober today and has been for a while. He also said that he always thought if he took care of things outside, inside he would be OK. Thru AA, he realizes that happiness comes from inside first and then the outside would be OK. I think it gives us something to think about for our recoveries too. But most of all, it gives me a deeper understanding of the disease. Thanks for listening.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thanks for sharing queen
Old 11-14-2007, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I Finally Love My Life!!!

I get so much out of listening to A's speak about their own disease, especially those who post here - I still discover things I was in denial about when listening to their perspectives.

Nice post.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed hearing one of our stories QT. I can relate to what you shared.

I went to a doctor several times with severe pain in my lower back from my liver being so pickled. He told me to quit drinking, so I did. Well, until the pain subsided which was about one week. Then I figured I was cured and could start drinking normally again. It's amazing (in a sick sort of way) what our brains tell us in our addictions.

Thanks again for sharing and caring.