Notices

The jig is up; it's time to stop

Old 11-12-2007, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The jig is up; it's time to stop

Hi everyone. I'm sure a lot of what's going on with me is similar to your experiences. Basically, I'm a 35 year old student, recently returned to school after working very hard. Problem is, I'm not sure if I should start therapy, AA, or what. I can't go into a full rehab program because it'll interfere with my studies and seriously derail things. The writing's on the wall. I come from a long line of alcoholics, all my friends are alcoholics (funny how we find each other) and I'm scared of the changes and tough decisions I'll need to make. I'm just so exhausted. I'm tired of lying to people when I can't get out of bed, I'm tired of avoiding people because I might smell from previous night, I'm isolating myself, and so forth. Not to mention the crippling hangovers, the puking, the sweats, the headaches, the insomnia when trying to get sober, etc.

I know everyone has their own program that works for them. Should I go to an AA meeting, therapist, what? Thanks for listening.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR. I go to AA and it is working for me. Just google AA and put your area in. You may need a doctors help to get through detox. Keep us posted
Old 11-12-2007, 07:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome RinATL,
There is a lot of support here. Many great people.
Find what ever works for you. I would see a DR. and talk to them about Detoxing if you can not go to rehab.
I wish you the best of luck.
Keep reading and posting.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Give them all a try. Look up your local AA and try out a meeting. Get in touch with your doctor. Pick up a copy of the Big Book, the RR book, etc., read as much as you can.

I really admire you. I'm 22, dropped out a year and a half ago, and I don't think I could juggle both this and my schooling. So kudos to you for that.

You'll be in my thoughts.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think being an alcoholic is absolutely exhausting. It destroys us physically, emotionally and spiritually. I;m glad you are ready to move forward. I think you should do whatever works for you and whatever you are comfortable with.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks. A huge help getting validation from others! I'm exhausted so you'd think I could sleep.....
Old 11-12-2007, 08:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My recommendation is always the book"Under the Influence" by Dr. James R. Milam and Katherine Ketcham.

If after reading that you don't go to a doctor, then nothing will do it.

There's a lot of great info in there on the affects of not quitting and the affects of quitting. The more you understand the nutrition of kicking booze and the guidance to help your doctor help you recover.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello,

Do you have any family members that quit drinking? For me counseling helped a great deal. It was easy to be more open to talking about myself. Try to keep it simple at first. Looking at the big picture all at once, can make it seem hard.

Wish you the best and give everything a try.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Here is a great link on what to expect at an AA meeting. I wish I had read this before I ever went.

http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/F...0AA%20Meetings
Old 11-12-2007, 09:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My Dad was in and out rehab and AA for his entire life and died at 52. My mom is 65 and is a florid alcoholic. She's always been a functional alcoholic but now that she's retired and has no real obligations, she's much worse. I think I'll need to address this in therapy though.

Thanks for the well wishes!