Notices

newcomer - questions about life ring and crazy emotions

Old 11-12-2007, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newcomer - questions about life ring and crazy emotions

Hi, everyone,

I've been observing for the last week or so but wanted to introduce myself finally. i've quit drinking for almost a year in the past, then relapsed for almost the same amount of time...I've been pretty good at being functional - have a great relationship, just started a dream business - but unfortunately i took my problem to work with me, and a good friend called me out and finally has finally made me see how much i'm risking, and i'm taking sobriety seriously.

i've tried AA and really didn't like it - not big on the religious and somewhat cultish overtones i felt there - so am trying my first life ring meeting tonight (found out about them through this site). does anyone have experiences with this organization that they would like to share?

also, i've been sober for just over a week now, and yesterday morning i was with my boyfriend and just burst out crying - felt extremely anxious and strange. is this a normal part of detoxing? i felt crazy!

thank you and i appreciate everyone's great posts and mutual support.

victoria
Old 11-12-2007, 03:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome

I have no experience with LifeRing ..perhaps others will.

This link has interesting info on PAWS
which may be why your feeling yukky.

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Good Luck
Old 11-12-2007, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Victoria,

Welcome to SR!

I think the emotions in early sobriety are quite common. I know I had to figure out a way to get through each day and all the emotions that are involved with work/errands/family, etc. It's quite a challenge, but it will get easier.

I pretty much follow my own program and I work on sobriety every day. I think there are three aspects - physical, spiritual and emotional to deal with each day. I don't have any experience with Lifering either, but I think you should do whatever works for you.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I dunno about those LifeRing folks...

I hear there's a bunch of alcoholics and drug addicts hanging out at them places.

That was a little joke. Actually, I did attend one meeting of that group in Oakland a number of years back. I, like you, was in early recovery and personally had no use for the religious overtones of AA and thought it may eventually hurt my sobriety since I'm basically an atheist.

It was alright, not nearly as organized as AA/NA afa the meeting format went, seemed like the number of 'court-card' people was pretty high vs. the number of committed to recovery people. I did like the secular nature of it.

I eventually ended up in NA/AA though. Felt like I needed the discipline, and I actually eventually came to see how this was a spiritual malady that I had and that AA/NA addressed that matter.

That doesn't mean I had to get 'religion' nor join a cult (AA/NA - it's REALLY not a cult, trust me on that) to be part of AA/NA. It's *really* only 'religious' if you want it to be. Your 'higher power' can be whatever you want it to be. If you decide like I did that Lifering isn't doing it for you, I'd try some different AA/NA meetings until you find some that are filled with the more agnostic types. Been to PLENTY in the Bay Area where the only times I heard the word God was when the steps were read at the beginning of the meeting.

Bottom-line, though, probably all the mainstream recovery programs out there will work ... if you work them.

I'd for sure go and check it out!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Victoria,

Welcome to our recovery community - it sounds like you've got a lot going for you - I'm glad you're making the decision to get sober.
I've never attended LifeRing - my recovery started with AA and I'm pretty comfortable there. I hope that LR is a good fit for you.
You should find the link on PAWS from Carol to be helpful - it's quite common to experience many symptoms in early recovery. Be sure to get lots of rest and to be gentle with yourself. I look forward to more of your posts.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and welcome . I do think my emotions were all over the place during the beginning of my now alcohol free state. Hell, they're still all over the place on any given day depending on the weather and other variables .

I don't go to AA and there are no Life Ring meetings in my area but I'm curious to hear about Life Ring though when you have time.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
outtahere

Hi Victoria

You are in the early stages of detox and it can just be the beginning of withdrawal symptoms depending on how much and how long you drank. You may need to get help if the symptoms begin to get real bad because it can be life threatening.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, all,

Thanks for your comments. I was a bit nervous since the meeting was in the basement of a hospital (apparently a lot of them refer patients to LifeRing), but it turns out I had nothing to fear. The meeting was quite small (apparently much smaller than usual), but the people that were there were great. I really liked the informal structure, the easy respect people gave each other while talking, and the advice and feedback people offered. As some people may know, they read an opening statement and then the moderator just asks "How was your week?" and people take turns talking about highlights, frustrations, and challenges to sobriety. People can ask questions, and the conversation seemed to be quite natural. I'll definitely go back!

Thanks again,
Victoria
Old 11-13-2007, 08:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sounds friendly enough, was there any talk of recovery or how to deal with life on lifes terms? So tell us a bit about it, is there a program?

BTW although not an athiest like bvaljalo, I have never liked any form of organized religion, that was a fear of mine in AA, I have learned there is a huge difference between spirituality and religion. I actually know more athiest and agnostics in AA then I do out side of AA. The spirituality of AA is what has kept me sober and happy for over a year now, I went to church one time since I got sober with my wife, did not care for it and have no plans of going back.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

there's not really a program, as far as i can see. basically it's just a group like this that's focused on supporting people to stay sober. and for me, that works for now. i'll re-evaluate after a few more meetings...i'll keep AA in mind, though, i know it's effective.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The Long Climb

:ghug2
Old 07-14-2008, 07:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to Sr
Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Emotions can be a roller coaster for a while. YOu're on the right path tho and your 'program' will work for you equal to the effort you put into it.

Welcome!:ghug3
Old 07-14-2008, 09:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
"Meow. No, I am not a pup!

Life ring stuff is in post to me (I am not in US so may take a while). I am looking at that along with AA, hypnotherapy, nutitrion, Allen Carr, mywayout and SR... I personally believe in trying anything that may work (and am lucky enough to have funds to allow me to do this...after stop drinking my expensive wine!). I believe that some things work for some people and others for others and so go with whatever. Good luck to you