OT GHB & Aqua Dots

Old 11-11-2007, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Arrow OT GHB & Aqua Dots

Thought I'd post this here for those of you who haven't heard yet, since there's a lot of Mom's and Grandma's on here.

Date-Rape Drug Spurs Aqua Dots Recall
More Than 4 Million Aqua Dot Beads Recalled; 2 Kids Hospitalized in Coma After Swallowing Beads
By Miranda Hitti
WebMD Medical News
Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

Nov. 8, 2007 -- More than 4 million Aqua Dots craft kits are being recalled after two children slipped into a coma and were hospitalized after swallowing beads in the Aqua Dots craft kits.

The craft kits allow kids to create various multidimensional designs using small colored beads. The beads fuse together when sprayed with water.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) advises consumers to take the recalled Aqua Dots away from children immediately.

In the body, the chemical coating on the beads converts into the so-called "date-rape drug" GHB, CPSC spokeswoman Patty Davis tells WebMD.

The CPSC has gotten two U.S. reports in the last several days of children who became ill and fell into comas after swallowing Aqua Dots.

One of those children is a 20-month-old boy who swallowed several dozen beads. He became dizzy and vomited several times before slipping into a comatose state. Since then, he has fully recovered.

The other child, a 4-year-old, vomited and slipped into a comatose state and was hospitalized for five days before recovering fully, Davis tells WebMD.

The recall applies to all Aqua Dots models sold nationwide from April 2007 through November 2007 for between $17 and $20. The craft kits were made in China and distributed by Spin Master of Toronto.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On a tear

I saw this and my heart goes out to those children who fell into a coma - from what I read, at least two have not come out of the coma... and I don't know if they will.

I have a ton of neices and nephews, and this would have been a perfect toy for them! Exactly the kind of gift I would have given.

My prayers are with the families, and I also pray our toy manufacturers can find a way to get a handle on the safety issues around imported items. Me? I just ordered 5 "Homax" lead testers.... Consumer reports rated them higher than the more expensive First Alert ones I was ready to buy.

Sigh.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

It scares me.. I was drugged by this by two guys, and it did something to me, I'm not sure if mine was laced w/heroin or something else or anything, but it really messed me up for a few days. And I don't remember what I did on it (but I found out), it's a horrible horrible drug I can't imagine a baby or a child being on it...
Old 11-11-2007, 08:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i saw this on the news. that is so sad. i feel for the babys & those poor parents.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'd like to see a total ban on Chinese imports for your country and mine, including ingredients used in manufacturing here.

It was bad enough when my cat almost died from the poison cat food mess that was caused by the Chinese changing to a dangerous ingredient....but I can't even imagine the horror these parents have gone through thinking they might lose their child. And just recently it was lead in the toys too.

If they can't take responsibility for their production, don't bring their products over here.

Hugs