What's wrong with this picture???

Old 11-09-2007, 03:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's wrong with this picture???

You know, I know I'm a raging codie, and I've read a gajillion books and articles about codependency, gone to a bunch of meetings, posted here hundreds of times and read thousands of posts. But it still catches me off guard.
XAH came by this evening to take my son to a football game. I took a gander at him outside the window to make sure he looked together, and went about my business.
Well, about ten minutes after they left, what happens? I find myself thinking, "Gee, he looked okay. He hasn't fallen apart. Maybe I misjudged and he's not an addict. Maybe it was my fault, that he drank and used because of me." Then ~ and I can hardly believe this~ for a brief second, I actually welled up with tears and said to myself ~"I want my old life back!"
Hmmmmm. What's wrong with this picture??? When will this end????
The good news is, the mood passed quickly.And I didn't revert to spending the next three hours making myself remember the rotten things that happened during our relationship, which of course gets me obsessing, which gets me depressed, and on and on. I just got back to working on my own stuff, and the moment was gone in a snap. At least I've made that much progress! But I needed to check in with you guys, I guess for a little codie to codie validation ~ Does it ever end????

Oh, on a very happy note, I had my first holiday greeting cards designs come out this week! I'm working on some new designs, so thats helping keep my brain a tad centered!
Old 11-09-2007, 04:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

((((guineapigjude))))
I think the saying goes, "Progress, not perfection"

Maybe you're thinking of the "good" memories, and being a "family". Maybe you didn't give yourself the time to grieve the loss of the relationship.

Sometimes I find myself slipping back into old behaviors, but now I can at least RECOGNIZE that I'm going down the wrong way on a one way street, and get myself turned around pretty quick.

Hugs,
Old 11-10-2007, 02:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I just got back to working on my own stuff, and the moment was gone in a snap. At least I've made that much progress!
Recovery doesn't promise us that we will never have these emotionally difficult moments. What it does promise is that we will have the tools to deal with them in a healthy way.

Sounds to me like you are on a good path with your recovery.

Hugs
Old 11-10-2007, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think you did AWESOME !

Congrats on the greeting cards. It sounds like you're finding success in many areas!

Cats
Old 11-10-2007, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

just chalk it up to a brain fart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

Originally Posted by mooselips View Post

Maybe you're thinking of the "good" memories, and being a "family". Maybe you didn't give yourself the time to grieve the loss of the relationship.
I think Moose said it all.

It's a common place to think of "What it should have been" or "What it could have been" because that's how we would have loved it to be. No where in the program does it say "stop caring for the addict". If it were that simple we'd all get over what once was and just move on and never look back.

To recognize where these feelings were taking you is an enormous step. It's also ok to allow yourself to feel a little down now and again, but like you've heard so many times, just don't stay there too long..........and you didn't.

Congratulations on the greeting cards!! Staying focused on something positive helps to keep those negative thoughts at bay. I think you're doing great!!
Old 11-10-2007, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just want to say thanks for posting this. It soo very much helps me to know my sad moments are normal