Back again!!!!(Long)

Old 11-07-2007, 07:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Angie, my sponsor's ex-husband had schizophrenia and it was terrible that he slipped through the cracks for any kind of help.

Most places wouldn't take him because of his behaviour and psychiatric hospitals here in Canada are so concerned about the "rights" of people with mental illness that they leave them to die on the streets rather than allow them to be forcably treated or confined. It's just sad.

I don't have the answers, but if your son is schizophrenic perhaps contact a Schizophrenia Support organization and see if they have any help available. Here's a link that covers the world and you can just click on your country and go from there.

http://members.aol.com/leonardjk/support.htm

And please keep coming here too, we are here to support you and walk with you all the way.

My heart goes out for you, I can't imagine how stressful this all is. Please know that you and your family are in my prayers.

Hugs
Old 11-12-2007, 07:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Havehope...thank you so much for the hugsand your prayers.

Lil516: You are accurate..without stopping the drugs we will not know what is causing which symptoms

Ann; my son has slipped through the cracks as well. the USa is the same as far as "rights"
Thank you for the link.I will be visiting it.

BigSis :
Thank you for the hugs and prayers..we need all we can get that is for sure.

Elana: If we go and get power of attorney..which we do have enough evidence to obtain..then we can also have him commited untill the judge releases him
However this is very expensive and we donot have access to that kind of money.
We were told as well by his doctor that once detoxed and the illness is considered stable, if he dosen't follow the rules he simply goes to jail.
I don't want to sound pestismatic (sp)
However knowing his history and personality type..we 'assume" that is what would happen.
I currently don't go to face to face meetings. i have been to a few online. (have to start somewhere)
i have panic attacks often accompied with agoraphobia..unfourently currently that is the case and I have extreme difficulty during those times leaving my home at all..even to go outside and get the mail
this will improve (hopefully soon) when it does I will go face to face untill it recurrs.

Yes..you did understand I am bi-polar myself.

caileesnana: Thank you for the prayers.

macmerry: we can commit for 72 hours without my having power of attorney. he knows the system well enough to con his way out after that.
Our local hospital has limited beds I believe it is 26.
they usually have to save those for the ones who don't say no as far as being sucidal or homicadal.
mooselips. Thank you for the hugs.We know the drugs are part of the symptoms..however he was diagnoised at age 9..well before any drug use..

Bonichickadee: Thanks for the hugs, yes this is a great place. I wish i had never wandered away when he was in jail.maybe then I would have made some progress with my own healing. Yet..I did so I will restart my journey now.

Thank all of you for the welcome. I didn't come and repost after that post due to two deaths one a friend the other a brothernlaw in a weeks time.
Hugs, angie
Old 11-12-2007, 08:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

((((((((Crazy))))))))

I'm so sorry for all that you are dealing with.
My prayers are with you and your family.
I once convinced the emergency room to commit my son when he was dopesick and I refused to take him to my home. I drove him to the hospital and told them he tried to kill himself in my house. I just wanted him off the streets for a while.
They held him for 36 hours and then kicked him out because a visitor (agf) brought him drugs to use in the restroom. Long story.
Maybe you could have him committed for tests and observation?
It does sound as if he may be suffering from a breakdown.
The drug use/abuse isn't helping, but it seems that there is more to it than using.
He may be experiencing a mental break. Just a thought.
When I was a teenager, I knew of a friends brother who had a mental breakdown and spent 60 days in a psychiatric hospital, until he was helped with medication and counseling. I pray there is help for him.
This is a great place for you. To get the support, prayers, and added experience, from other parents. I feel for ya, sweetie. I hope you continue to come back to share and also get yourself and other family members into alanon/naranon groups.
Hugs and prayers,

P.S. Just wanted to add my condolences and sympathy on your recent losses.
I'm very sorry and believe that they have gone on to a much better place.
God bless them both.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome, i am sorry you going through this.i feel your pain. i am sending prayers up for your son & your family.we r here for you. hugs,