Notices

Am I the only one?

Old 11-03-2007, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Am I the only one?

I read posts here and it seems that after the first week or two everyone is feeling alot better and healthier being sober. I haven't drank for 5 and a half weeks and feel worse than when I was drinking.

I have a headache everyday, no energy, I feel sick and dizzy sometimes, I just feel constantly unwell. I went back to my doc's last week and he gave me some thamine (sp) but as of yet that hasn't made any difference, he also booked me in for some more blood tests next week. I had some back in August and they were all fine so I dunno if they will show anything or not.

I am just so fed up with feeling unwell, I dunno if it's even to do with withdrawal anymore. I want to start living again but feel like I am just existing at the moment getting through each day as best I can and hoping I will feel better tommrow.

Did anyone else feel ill for ages after there last drink or is it just me?

Sax
Old 11-03-2007, 07:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not just you, I was feeling just the same as you describe at 5 weeks.

I still have periods of time now at 4 months were I feel tired all the time.

I guess after 10 years of poisoning myself its gonna take a while to get over it.

It IS very frustrating at times.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sax,

I did start to feel better, but it took awhile to get back to 'normal'.

You've done the best thing by going back to your dr and speaking to him about this issue. Hopefully all is well and it's just taking time to get up to speed. Have you tried any kind of mild exercise, such as taking a long walk? It might help.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are not alone. I heard that it takes a year for the alcohol to get out of the brain stem. You may also be having some post acute withdrawl syptoms. Have you heard of that? Its called PAWS. If you want the link to a site on it send me a PM and I will find it for you. Hang in there and keep posting.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also often feel like I have a cold, that feeling of a head cold with the tiredness and headaches but no mucus or sneezing.

Physically I havent exactly improved in leaps and bounds but mentally and emotionally things are STARTING to improve lol!

Personally I just blame it all on the PAWS and carry on as best I can.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been sober for a little over 3 weeks and I have some days where I don't feel well. I sometimes have flu like symptoms and feel depressed. I know eventually this will pass.

Congratulations on your 5 1/2 weeks of sobriety.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Go to your local GNC and hit them up for some GABA..
Your system is looking for a couple things it's missing since you quit drinking. They need to be replaced with either a great diet or suplements. That's why they feed you so well in Detox and Rehab.
http://www.addictionrecoveryguide.or...nutrition.html
Old 11-03-2007, 10:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm not a doctor, but I think recovery time might depend on how heavily and how long you were drinking before you quit. If you'd been getting fairly drunk a few times a week for 3 years you'd probably be back on your feet sooner than if you'd been getting blackout drunk every day for 15 years. There are also emotional factors such as what started you drinking in the first place. In my case, I was self medicating for an anxiety disorder, so my dependence on alcohol was much more emotional than physical. I was tired all the time for about a month after I quit, then I started feeling more energetic but also more anxious. I started therapy and antideppressants and since then I've been functioning much better both mentally and physically.

There are a lot of variables so you can't always know what to expect in recovery. Just be patient, keep working with your doctor and if you think your lack of energy might be related to depression or anxiety talk to a therapist about it.

EDIT:
Pinkcuda, thanks for posting that link. If anyone else has tried GABA I'd like to know if it has helped.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
"Grateful to be Sober."

Hi saxony,
Sorry to hear you feeling low and ill. I have been around 5 weeks and half sober and feel ill too. I get bad headaches, but thinking about it, i know im drinking a lot more tea and coffee now at mtngs and in general so that could be the cause - esspecially if i go a morning without it. Dunno tho, it could also be the alcoholic mind - constantly racing and analysing everything!. I do feel happier than i did in my first week and happier than i did when i drank, the majority of the time but i still get extreme lows. Want to drink again too- esspecially at wkends. Its bloody hard, hardest thing ever for me , but i do believe it'll get better. I want to drink now if im honest, but thats why i am on this site and thats why im going to a mtng tonight. I do think doing whats sugeested by others sober and what A.A states to do helps. It worked for my parents, and it's wokred for everyone i've met in A.A eventually. I can get v.negative but having faith is definately what keeps me going. Hope you feel ok soon
Old 11-03-2007, 12:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Everyoone...
Here is the PAWS link...

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

What worked well for me in early sobriety...
I followed the eating /nutrition plan in
"Under The Influence" by Dr. Milam and Ketcham

If you don't have the book
Amazon usually does and it's sequel
"Beyond The Influence" by Ketcham and ???

I also attended AA everyday to learn how to
stay quit and enjoy my new life...

Have your eyes checked and see a denist.
I had neglected all medical issues when drinking.
Keep in touch with your doctor and with us too!!

We can and do recover.

Last edited by CarolD; 11-03-2007 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-03-2007, 01:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Sax, Sorry you don't feel well. I don't either today. I'm at the 6 week mark now and I'm up and down with not feeling right physically, emotionally and spirituality. Today i didn't want to get out of bed.

I think I'm starting to get like Stone and blame it on PAWS or my hormones. There acting funky too. Praying and hanging out with my friends in AA helps me. Even if i don't feel like sharing with them i feel a little better being with them. I can't wait till my meeting tonight.

Take care
Barb
Old 11-03-2007, 02:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. I am having all of those exact things you are having and I've been sober for a while. It takes time. It doesn't happen as fast as we'd like.

I do know that it will get better and it keeps me plugging along and dealing with this stuff in the best way I can.

Hang in there.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your reply's and advice. I see a few of you seem to have the same type of symptoms, it helps to know it's not just me. I can deal with it if it is just withdrawal still, I just keep worrying that it is something more serious. Thankfully I am not craving alcohol and I have no desire to drink which helps as I don't think I would cope with feeling crap and craving.

Sax
Old 11-04-2007, 02:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I did notice an improvement around 90 to 100 days. The tiredness left about then as well and my sleep pattern returned to what I'd call normal. But yeah, the PAWS, it can be lived with.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi,

Hope you feel better soon.

It took me about a month to feel better...At four months the changes I have felt are unbelieveable...I haven't felt this way in years...It is great to be sober...