Notices

new to the site...

Old 11-02-2007, 12:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to the site...

I have been searching through out the internet to find my exact problem. I can put down a bottle of Vodka in a night (weekends), and very much look forward to drinking when I get home. I never rush to get home to drink, but when I do arrive (usually after 10 or so) I head straight to the mini-bar. On weekdays I will have 4 strong drinks (1/4 to 1/2 a bottle of Wisky or Vodka). I am in a serious relationship, that is going fine, and no symptoms of depression or anxiety. Doing fine in school, and waking up every morning (I need to). I have been an alcoholic for 2 years now, and it has become physically obvious in my face. I have tried AA and genetically my family (extended) are all happy alcoholics, and doing fine in life. I know I need to quit, because it is a bad addiction, but everything in my life is going well, so I don't really have a reason to quit aside from physical change and health. My girlfriend does not drink often, and does not mind my drinking because it does not strongly affect my personality. Sometimes I do find myself closet drinking with her still around, because I do not want her to know my exact extent of my problem on weekdays.
My symptoms are loss of sleep (while drinking), major consumption of water throughout the day, horrible loss of appetite (1 meal a day), shaking in my hands, growth in my cheeks and a double chin, sags underneath my eyes from loss of sleep, forgetfulness...and regret.
I know that everyones case is the exception to the rule, but I am 2 days sober, and I realize that I can not do it alone, but the AA program depresses me (mine is a circle group style that I have gone to about 6 times) because the members have real issues that I can not relate to. What would you guys suggest?
I've never tried quitting before, but I know relapse is a lot easier than sobriety. It is obvious I do need outside help.
Looks like a great forum, and I can't wait for your guys' help
Thanks
-Sean
Old 11-02-2007, 01:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Also, I do not do any drugs, I however do smoke cigarettes and take 20 mgs. of Adderall a day for school, I know the adderall might be contributing to my loss of appetite along with cigarettes. But I have been smoking for 5 years and taking adderall for close to 7 and never had an appetite issue until alcoholism.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I need medical supervision to detox????? I know this is questionable debate, but for sleeping, I could just use Ambian XR until I got my sleep back in check? What are the problems through withdrawal that I need medical supervision? (Can't find it online)
Thanks again
Old 11-02-2007, 01:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol detox is one of the worst you can have. You can die from alcohol withdrawals.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Banksy
Welcome and congratulations on 2 days sober. It is always a good idea to seek medical help for detox. I am sure you will find great information and support on this forum.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, this is a great place to share.......PLEASE keep sharing
Old 11-02-2007, 02:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi Banksy -

welcome!
Old 11-02-2007, 02:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know you can't be the REAL Banksy because he finishes work a lot later than ten.....

http://www.banksy.co.uk/outdoors/horizontal_1.htm

As for the drinking - what can I say? If it's not a problem it's not a problem. If you find that you want to stop and you can't, then maybe it's a problem.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome!

Please check this link....especially the de tox info on page 3.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html

You have found a site frull of support..understanding
glad to see you!
Old 11-02-2007, 03:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome bank!
Old 11-02-2007, 03:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Thanks for posting Banksy - I'm not going to AA either and have only been sober for 2 weeks, although this time I'm determined to stay off the booze as I experienced the worst DT's I've ever had coming off the drink and needed to go to the doctor to be prescribed medicine (Librium, 30mg 4/day) for a few days to help me withdraw safely...

You're doing the right thing by sharing your problem on this forum, and the folks here can offer support and encouragement - it's good to check in here every now and then as well and let us all know how you're getting on...

Re. medicine to help you withdraw, only a qualified doctor can help you there - but if you experience symptoms such as shaking and anxiety when you try to stop, then to see your doctor you must, as the medicine they will prescribe you will really help in alleviating those physical symptoms (which can be dangerous in very extreme cases)...

In my case, the withdrawal symptoms subsided within about 5-10 minutes after taking the medication and that allowed me to function perfectly normally - when I stopped taking the tablets, I had come through withdrawal and now I face the other battle - staying sober; I'm fortunate enough to have a good family network to rely on and friends who understand...

Good luck, please let us know how things are going...
Old 11-02-2007, 07:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi!
Welcome aboard. I don't do A.A. but for me this forum works. The people are great and often have allot of good advice to share.
Let us know how you're getting on.
P-S: congratulations on your Day 2. That's really good! Keep on going.