Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I found this article very interesting, enlightening and promising...

Notices

I found this article very interesting, enlightening and promising...

Old 10-29-2007, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Lightbulb I found this article very interesting, enlightening and promising...

Hi everyone.

The following article describes me and (presumably many other alcoholics) to a tee. I'm not sure if we are allowed to post links here but this one was so interesting that I decided it was worth the risk because it is absolutely priceless. If links are not accepted here, then please delete it and accept my sincere apology but I think many of you will find it to be an excellent read as I did.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...8126_mz018.htm

- Need4Change
Old 10-29-2007, 12:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Interesting....

In the mean time i'll just use some simple tools of
"don't pick up no matter what" to stay sober.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"Science may one day accomplish this, but it hasn't done so yet...."

Old 10-29-2007, 01:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Promising? Perhaps.
I want solid recovery today.

Ever hear of the AA Promises?
They have been working in my life for years.

Blessings
Old 10-29-2007, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

After nine months on baclofen, he reported that he had not had a drink since Jan. 9, 2004.

The article was written APRIL 11, 2005.

It is now OCT, 2007

I would opine that if it worked, we would have heard about it by now.

JMHO,

Ted
Old 10-29-2007, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sure science will one day cure alcoholism. Just like one day it will cure the effects of radiation. Right now though I'm staying the hell away from Chernobyl.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that Need4 - while I am glad that I have started my recovery without having to wait for a medical breakthrough, it is interesting to know what is out there that may give hope to people that feel hopeless now. You never know what bit of positive information you share might give people hope for a sober future...and they might even choose to start working on it today. So, thanks again for taking the time to share.

How are things going with you?
Old 10-29-2007, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I thought it was interesting also. I am all for learning more about our brain chemistry. Modern medicine has come along way with treating many disorders. Bi-polar and manic depressives used to be lobotomised years ago. I say the more we know the more we grow! Thanks for the post.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Exclamation Baclofen to curb desire to drink alcohol...

Hi,

I have been hearing things here and there about this drug helping people with the terrible cravings in the beginning of sobriety.

It is interesting to note that this drug was used for muscle spasms and to treat anxiety before it was found to help reduce the desire to drink alcohol.

The scientists are saying they hope to find drugs that will target the brain's addictive pathway. This may work for all drugs, as well as alcohol, that are addictive.

In my search for help with my alcoholism and depression I found the one dependable aide for my alcoholism was the AA Program and the members of AA that shared their experiences, strengths & hope to help me find my way down the path of Sobriety.

But in retrospect, I also learned that my treatment for depression depended on what chemicals were lacking in my brain chemistry. I also found that they have finally found that Serotonin is a chemical working in the pleasure center of the brain where the alcohol helps bring pleasure for a short time, but actually is a depressant.

It has taken many years to find what works for me for my depression. The very first antidepressant to work the best ever was Effexor XR which affects the Serotonin as well as the other deficient chemicals. I have taken Effexor ten + years.

I talked with my doc two years ago about quitting Lithium because I didn't think I had a Bipolar Disorder but a problem with some medications causing the manic episodes I had experienced only when put on a new med.

He had me see my PsycDoc who, monitored my meds, & get her recommendations. I did this and was titrated very slowly off Lithium and reduced my Xanax from 1 mg three times a day to 0.5 mg prn..up to two times daily. I also reduced methocarbamol that was for my muscle spasms from Fibromyalgia. I was so much less sedated and my motivation and energy were slowly improving.

I went back to my PsycDoc after one year of these changes and she was very pleased with the progress I had made & the weight I had lost. She then asked me if I would try taking Lexapro 10 mg every morning along with my Effexor XR 300 mg.

She told me that the Lexapro addressed the Serotonin also and would help my anxiety and sleep problems. She was so right. It has been a miracle for me this past year I have been taking Lexapro with my Effexor.

I must say that this article also addressed the number of genes involved in the predisposition for alcohol and depression in families. They haven't yet isolated all of this but it is so true in my family...on both sides there was and is a significant number of family members that are either alcoholic or depressed or both.

I do realize what has worked for me is not a solid way for others to find help. Our chemical make-ups are all different and what works for one person may not work for another or may be worse than the medications that already have been used.

This is way too long but I do have to add one more thing. My son is alcoholic and has depression...tried suicide and failed so is a quadraplegic now. He is on that drug Baclofen for muscle spasms, alcohol cravings, and anxiety. He also takes other anxiety meds because he has severe anxiety attacks at night when he is by himself in his home. He also takes other muscle spasm meds. I don't know if the average population knows about the muscle spasms a paralyized person experiences. They are significant...sometimes a leg will jerk way up high when he is lying down. Other times his whole body quivers some from anxiety that when transfered he might get dropped.

I guess what I want to impart with this "essay" of my experiences is the fact that certain medications can help addictions as well as depressions and anxiety. That alcoholism may be helped with certain antidepressants used for depression.

kelsh