Notices

Trying to get sober & holding a job

Old 10-29-2007, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to get sober & holding a job

I hope I'm not getting on anyone's nerves. I've been posting in Womens and AA. I'm kinda pathetic drinker, long time, birthday is tomorrow, my getting old birthday. Anyway, I'm lucky enough to still have my job but its a new job, lost the other because of my drinking 9 years at a great job, got drunk and quit. Stupid. Anyway, so here I am. I've been seeing people talking about 90/90 and stuff and well how do you go through recovery and try to act like you are not I guess the same way I try not to act like a drunk at my job. I just wish I could take some time but I can't because Its a new job. I'm so dumb. my other 9 year job would have probably helped me but I can't do anything about that now. I have to have this job. So, the insurance is horrible and well, I'm afraid to detox its just beer but beer for 25 years is probably just as bad. I got to stop
Old 10-29-2007, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy birthday tomorrow, beer is as addictive as anything else, alcohol is alcohol full stop. Have you any support groups nearby? if so that's a good start. Check in with your doctor they're bound to have some good, confidential advice. You have already made a start by coming here and admitting you have a problem. You are not 'pathetic' you have an addiction and they really can be overcome. Please keep posting and reading...we are all behind you 100%. Good luck on your journey to sobriety.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

I am sorry for you legal lady....I am just getting a handle on this, as well, and not a very good handle....but I can say, that I did tell my manager and team leader here at work , I am in AA and have issues with booze.....

Have you thought of going back to your old job and confessing you have a problem and that, thats why you quit? I guess that would depend upon the relationship you have with your management etc....being there for 9 years ..I would hope you could be honest with them and perhaps they would be sympathetic...my 2 cents..
Old 10-29-2007, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think I'd have to kick the habit before asked for their forgiveness but I'm not sure. This just sucks. Like I said in other post depression and alcohol is terrible its just such a drag and embarrassing and lonely on both ends. Who wents to be depressed and who wants to be an alcoholic. No one and who want to tell anybody
Old 10-29-2007, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welllll, the problem is: not wanting this problem in life isn't going to make it go away. You would be very surprised, I thnk, at how your employer might help out here. It is worth a shot. We are pretty common folk...

Alyce
Old 10-29-2007, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with what everyone has said Legal Lady. You would be surprised how many employers are dealing with the alcoholic employee and feel that a valuable employee is worth helping versus hiring someone new. Honesty is what getting help is all about. You need to be honest with yourself first and then with your employer.

When I quit drinking this last time, I was working a part time job cleaning houses & doing errands for the Elderly. I had no income if I didn't work. I was going to go to treatment so my Supervisor had to find someone to do my clients while I was gone. I talked with her about it and to my surprise, she had already suspected that I had a problem with alcohol. She wished me good luck and told me my job would be waiting for me when I got back.

I also had depression that had been diagnosed when I was a teen. I would go on and off my meds but when I discovered alcohol I quit the meds and self-medicated with alcohol. Beer was my choice of alcohol too...mainly because that was all I could afford at the time.

I asked for help when I was 48 and got counseling for both my alcohol and depression from separate counselors. It really worked. I was detoxed in a hospital situation for six days and when released went to AA that night. I continued AA on a daily basis for one solid year to just help me with both my depression and alcoholism.

I was re-diagnosed for depression 9 months after I quit drinking. The docs always want to see if the depression is related to the alcohol use or if the person really does have a major depression going on.

The doc and my counselor almost waited too long to start a theraputic dose of antidepressant because I was having Suicidal Ideation with a plan when I was finally put in a Psyc Unit for diagnosis by a psychiatrist. These days they can do the diagnosis without going into a hospital which is good.

I wish you all the luck I can give you. I am just another depressed person with an alcohol problem that has been in recovery 19 years. So you are not alone anymore. Just keep posting here and search for what you think will work for you.

kelsh