Don't know what to do

Old 10-27-2007, 10:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Don't know what to do

I found this web sit while searching the web for help. My 26 year old son is a drug addict and I just don't know what to do. I love him so and hate to see him going down this road. He disappears for days at a time and I think all sorts of things so when he does come home at least I know that he is alright. Today I have cried a lot as I have addmitted he is a addict but I just cannot give up on him. I know his drug use has nothing to do with me but I keep asking myself what did I do wrong. How can I get my son back, because at the moment he is not my son. I feel like I am walking on nails trying not to make any noise as I do not know how he is going to react. I have tried talking to him but all he says is tell me something I don't know. I know this sounds silly, but I am lost and have no one whom to talk to.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((lindasknitting))))))

Welcome dear one! I have seen how my addict brothers and sister have taken my mom down so far. She does everything for them and they do nothing for her it really breaks my heart.

Being a mom myself I know how we want the best for our kids....

Your son is 26 years old and he is old enough to make his own choices about how he wants to live his life. If his choices are not in harmony with how you want to live you do not have to put up with it. In fact putting up with his stuff is not helping him or you. It is not your fault that he does what he does there is nothing you can do to change how he makes choices.

Giving him a soft place to land, food and, all the comforts of home can contribute to his condition cause he sees that you are going to take care of all the things he ought to be taking care of for himself so he can go off for days and do dope. What would you say to your very best friend about your situation or your daughter if she was involved with someone like your son?

It is late I you may not get a lot of responses right now but keep checking back and keep posting. There are lots of moms here who are in your same situation...

Be gentle with yourself you are not at fault. ((((((BIGHUGS)))))) to you...
Old 10-27-2007, 11:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Welcome from another Mother of AS (addicted son) There are lots of Moms here mostly during the week. It sounds like he lives in your home. Think about boundaries to live there if this is the case. At the top of the list should be he can't live there now because he is an addict and only can after he completes treatment. Read all you can about addiction to see that addicts usually only seek treatment when the advers conseeq. mount. He may not get sober but won't be causing chaos in your house and life. It may be a long road for him. I go to AL-Anon for 4 yrs now. It has taught me a new way to think and way to live without pain, regret, disappointment eating me up. I have made some very dear close friend ships thru it with women in my circumstance that I can share honestly with and bounce thoughts back and forth. Things change. It is bad now. Keep hope and faith but turn his life back to him. He is 26 and you can not be respons. to enable this lifestyle. Read about detachment. I have even gone to open AA mtgs. to know what recovery looks like
Old 10-27-2007, 11:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

See my earlier post today in Friends and Family titled WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT CODEPENDENT LIVNG...having walked in your shoes you'dd see my thoughts how to separate myself from my son
Old 10-28-2007, 02:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
rozied

Welcome to SR from another Mom of an AS. My son is 41 & has been using for 20 yrs. As long as he has all of his needs met without having to do it for himself, chances of him stopping are not good. In order for him to want to stop he has to reach bottom. I KNOW the reason my son has not stopped is because my parents have kept enabling him.
No mom wants to " give up on her child " but allowing him to feel the consequences of his own actions is not giving up on him. I ask myself this question anytime I feel myself getting soft............" What will he do if you are gone?"
There are many moms like us in SR. Keep coming back & read the Stickeys on the top of the page.
Love,
Diane
Old 10-28-2007, 05:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome,

I, too, have an alcoholic son. He went in the Navy right out of highschool and was in four years. He learned how to drink everyday he was off base and off ship. He also used Pot because they did random UA's and he got caught and had to stay aboard ship three months.

He carried on his drinking, up & out with friends all night & sleeping all day after he came home from the Navy. The pattern kept getting worse and he had been home six months so my husband told him it was time for him to find a job and get his own place. He did that the same day!

But he continued on drinking when he was married and eventually his wife asked for a divorce because she couldn't handle it anymore.

He remarried again a couple years later and the same thing happened only he got fired from every job he managed to get for drinking on the job. He also has depression that was being medicated but he elected to drink rather than take the medication.

Then he tried suicide and failed so now is a quadraplegic. He lives near us in a house he rents and the VA takes care of his medical needs and personal needs. He has caregivers come in three times a day to get him up and put him back down in bed. He is 38 years old.

He and I had many talks about his alcohol problem and he even went to AA with me. He also went to In-patient alcohol treatment and mental health for treatment for his depression. I believe he had depression as a teen but didn't pick up on it. I have had depression since a teen and now am 67 years old. I figure I have been dealing with depression 50+ years now.

I am lucky I have learned a lot about enabling through the years. My husband, his Dad, has been disabled since 1964 from a logging accident and had a leg amputated. He did very well but I spoiled him for good....we had been married three years and had a one year old daughter and he had two small sons from his first marriage.

He was in the hospital six months and had seventeen surgeries before he got out again but he lived and was so grateful for that. The state paid for four years of college for him and he became a Social Worker and was very good at it. He is retired now but his body is worn out from all he has done trying to prove he really isn't disabled. It has caught up to him at 70 years old now. He still goes fishing with his buddy and does things around the house but then will sleep for two days in the recliner and two nights to catch up his strength again.

Sorry I am rambling so much but I have had two extreme situations and due to my age told the VA that his Dad & I couldn't do our son's caregiving. I have the knowledge & expertise to care for him but not the strength to do it day after day. I still help out in emergent situations so keep my finger in the pie somewhat.

I also found out that in order to stay sane myself, I cannot put blame on myself and my illnesses just because my son has the same illnesses as I do....depression and alcoholism.

kelsh
Old 10-28-2007, 05:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome to S.R. i too am the mother of an addict son.we love them so much & they do break our hearts because there is nothing we can do to stop them from using.my son has been on crack since he was 23 yrs. old. just in the last almost 4 yrs have i been in recovery to gain my life back.when i found this site i had almost lost my sanity.everything was for my son.i lost my home & tons of $$$$ on bails, lawyers, rehabs. it would have been ok if it had saved him. it didn't , he is still using & living that life at 36. what i have learned is i did not Cause it, i can not Control it & i can not Cure it. i thought it was my fault, i had done something wrong.it was not me, he chose & chooses to travel that road.today i will not travel it with him.i say a prayer for him every morning & continue to pray for him but i do not enable him by giving him money,paying his bills,fines or anything else.they will not get clean until they are ready.it only gets worse until they decide to get clean.sadly some never do.i have no faith in my son but i never will give up hope.read the sticky at the top of our forum"what addicts do".read around all the post & keep coming back.there is alot of recovery here for you & we are here to help u walk through it. you are not alone.prayers for you & your son,hope
Old 10-28-2007, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm also the mom of an addict and the only thing that helped me was to go to meetings and begin working a 12 step program that saved my life.

I know your pain and frustration, I know what it is like to see your son as a stranger yet know he is in there somewhere, and I know how hard you have tried to save him, but sadly only he can save himself. If a mother's love could save our addicts, not one of us would be here.

We also learn 3 C's that may remind you this is not your fault...We didn't Cause it, Can't Control it and can't Cure it.

Make yourself comfortable, read the "sticky" posts at the top of this forum, and know that you are among friends here who truly understand because we've been there.

Hugs
(from another Ontario mom)
Old 10-28-2007, 06:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Linda -

Welcome to SR, but sorry you're hurting. Please, keep reading and posting - the people here are WONDERFUL and so supportive.

I just want you to know something. I am a RA (recovering addict) and I can tell you that nothing you did has caused your son's addiction. I was raised by 2 parents who loved me dearly, taught me that I could do anything I set my mind to, and though my mom is dead, my dad is now one of my best friends.

I don't know why I became an addict. I think part of it is genetic (several family members are addicts/alcoholics, though the worst things my parents ever abused was cigarettes). I became and addict IN SPITE of having every reason not to. I am educated (2 college degrees and was an RN for 12 years), thought I was smart enough and loved enough not to become an addict. Yet, 3 years ago I was essentially homeless, living on the streets, doing whatever I had to to buy crack.

The best thing my dad and stepmom did for me was let me face my own consequences. I now know of the pain I put them through and am trying to make my amends by being responsible and being the best me I can. If I had been allowed to come home, sleep off my high, go back out, etc. I would have never sought recovery.

Please, try to get to an al-anon or nar-anon meeting and keep posting here. No one expects you to stop loving your son. You can learn how to detach with love. No parent wants to think of their child being out on the streets, living a horrible life, or in jail. But for the addict, that is often where we need to end up in order to get "sick and tired of being sick and tired".

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-28-2007, 06:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I have an addicted son. It has been a very long and hard road for many many years.
We love our children so much and it is terrible to see them do this to themselves.
But, one thing we must realize is that we did not cause the addiction. They CHOSE it for themselves.
The best thing we can do is learn coping skills by support groups and being around others who experience the same thing. Alanon will help you deal with this.
Right now, mine is in a half way house. I have no idea if he will be triumphant or if he will fail. But that's up to him, not me.
I hope you feel better soon. I know it hurts.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I too am the mom of an addicted son.....today i can say RAS(recovering addicted son) but that is just for today....

it has been a long journey...many rehabs, much $, overdose, psych wards, homeless shelter and the list goes on...he is now living in a sober house for the last 15 months

I never "gave up" on him but I did learn to stop enabling the disease....

one day I finally told my son "I would willingly die FOR you but I won't die WITH you"

that began my recovery...

please read as much as possible to learn about addiction and the impact it has on addict and family...the stickys at the top of our forum are excellent....meetings are so helpful...

please know that you are not alone...each one of us arrived here at SR with a post similar to yours...I believe mine was title "A mom's cry for help"

you and your son are in my prayers
Old 10-28-2007, 07:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
On a tear

Wow... LOTS of good advice above me, here.

Welcome to SR - you are in the EXACT right place.

Both my kids are addicts, and what helped me finally figure out that it wasn't ALL my fault was reading bits of Under the Influence (Milam and Ketchum) and Beyond the Influence (Ketchum).

Both these books talk about the physical stuff behind addiction. We addicts and alcoholics ARE different... and the tendency to become addicted is inherited...like blonde hair and blue eyes. Now, you wouldn't sit around blaming your son for being blonde, would you?

I feel like I am walking on nails trying not to make any noise as I do not know how he is going to react.
In your own home?

At 26 years of age, most men are out on their own, supporting themselves. He is no longer a little boy - he is a man - taking advantage of his loving mother.

A counselor told me once that most addicts will use until the pain of using grows larger than their fear of becoming clean or the pain becomes large than the perceived "pleasure" of using.

So, if I provide hot food, a roof over their heads, a clean bed, television, phone, and transportation AND they get to use their drugs. Hell, why WOULD anyone quit?

That helped me understand that I needed to set some boundaries... for me. At different times, my husband and I had our son and our daughter leave our home. Son was 18 at the time, and daughter was 17 at the time. Son left on a snowy night, with the back windshield broken out of his old beat up car and all his clothes in sacks on the back seat. Daughter left with a duffle bag and the clothes on her back.

Both found their way. There is a bit of an "underground" out there. They like to tell us how "TERRIBLE!!!" it is... but both my kids managed to sofa surf for a loooong time before they were ready to make some changes.

Son got into rehab, followed by an Oxford House (google the term) followed by 18 months of recovery. He learned a lot. He has since relapsed, but he is 23 years old, living on his own and supporting himself.

Daughter went to four rehabs, a recovery house, an oxford house and still relapsed every time. But she found her way and has been sober and clean for 2 years now. She is 21, has 1 year old and one on the way and is married to a man she met in rehab.

Neither of those stories is what *I* believed would be how my kids turned out. And I had to greive the loss of MY dream for their future. It turns out that I am not in control of their lives... and after 20 years of protecting and controlling every thing in their environment, "their" lives had become "my life".

Alanon helped me to see what my priorities are. They gave me support AND taught me a better way. If you can find some Alanon or Naranon meetings in your area, I urge you to consider attending about 6 meetings.

((hugs))

And keep reading - there is much to learn!
Old 10-28-2007, 08:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR from another mom of an addict. Again, great advice before me. I am very glad you found this site. Reading what others have gone through will help you decide what is best for you.
I was "loving my daughter to death". I was doing everything to protect her out of my love for her, and didn't realise how I was affecting her in a negative way.
The hardest thing for me was for her to leave our home and me change the locks. But now our home is peaceful and no one has to lock things up all of the time.
I learned that this is a disease that I can not cure. My daughter has the tools to help her choose a better life when she is ready, but I can not do it for her.
Hugs to you and keep posting and reading. I know this site was a life saver for me.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Another mom her, heroin and crack addicted daughter 21. You have received very good advice from the members above. Stick around and read and learn. The best thing that I did for myself was to practice "hands off" my daughter. She does not live with me and most likely never will again. Having them out of your house can give you the time that you need to get yourself better. Getting them better is their responsibility. Hugs, Marle
Old 10-28-2007, 11:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

Hi and welcome,
My ex husband is the addict in my life, so I don't have any first hand experience to offer. But there are lots of wonderful parents here who do, and we will all hold your hand and support you.

Take care of YOURSELF; it's hard but it's the only way!

(((((HUGS))))))
Old 10-28-2007, 02:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

lindasknitting,
Another mother of TWO addict sons, here. Welcome to Sober Recovery, I'm glad you found us, but sad for the reasons of what lead you here.
I found Sober Recovery much in the same way you did, looking for help for my youngest son. Little did I know, the experience and strength I would receive by hanging around here!

I also attend Alanon meetings, and it always seems that every meeting I attend focuses on what I need for that particular day!

Neither of my sons lived at home for very long after I was aware of their addictions, I couldn't be that close to the drama. It made me on the verge of crazy.

One thing I did do for quite a long time with BOTH of my sons was enable them. Paying their tickets, coughing up bond money, paying their bills, you name it, I did it, and I believe I prolonged their addictions, by not holding them responsible for what they SHOULD have been responsible for..

We have a saying here, "Hands off the addict" and it's a well known saying for a reason.

Please stick around, we're all here for you,
Hugs from one mom to another,
Old 10-28-2007, 02:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

(heck, I forgot the best part)

For today, both of my sons are sober.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome linda,
Another mom of addicts who came here looking for ways to help them and found help for me. I also attend Naranon meetings and read what I can to understand addiction and codependency. Step by tiny step I started feeling better and now I am in a much better place than I was just a year and a half ago. I hope you will stick around, read and post. Hugs
Old 10-29-2007, 06:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Another mom here. You do have someone to talk to, US! I tried to carried the shame, guilt by myself and it was too heavy. Once I let one person know and then others my load has been lighter and I have learned so much.

Keep reading, posting, and coming back. This is a great group of people who will walk w/ you step by step. We understand your fear, pain, and sadness--we have been/are there!

Welcome to our family,
susan
Old 10-29-2007, 06:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

lindasknitting,
Good morning, Linda.
Let us know how you're feeling today....
We're all here for you.....