Hope

Old 06-03-2003, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Hope

Hi all. I've been reading some post. And it's disheartening to see how many people are struggling with there DH's.

I just wanted to share some hope.

I'm a recovering drunk and drug addict myself.

My mom went thru hell with me, until I finally went and got help.

I was sober for 8 yrs. one time. Had a fall.

And now I'm sober for 3 more.

So i'm just sharing this, not to boast. And not at all am I patting myself on the back.

What I'm saying is there is hope.

If I can get and stay sober. Anyone can. I was bad, very bad.

So you never know.

Also my sister was a big time "bad" drunk, and she now has been sober for many years. And I thought she would die before me.

My mom is very happy that her only 2 kids are now sober. When there was a time that neither one of us were supposed to be alive, let alone sober.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Learning to love life...

Thank you Beat Up,
It is so great to hear from "the other side of the fence", as we get so wrapped up in our own worlds of chaos.

I am so thankful there are people like you... people who are strong and proud, but who have been as weak and shamed as the A WE know - it DOES give us hope.

I think as the codependant wife of an A, my instincts tell me to sheild myself; to put up the barriers low enuf so I can see over the top... but high enuf to protect me from the hurt. It will take a long time before I trust in my OWN recovery, let alone put some faith back into US. This is normal I think... I hope :p .

And your mother must be a fantastic lady... I imagine there are many "loved ones" who run for the hills, who hide from the shame... even AFTER their A's recover. It's the ones who find the strength within themselves to figure out how to let go... to love without fear. Hats off to her

And of course, to have found a way to make your recovery work for you; to believe in yourself enuf to fight off the "demons", you should be proud...

Take care, and thanks
Meg
Old 06-03-2003, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Dear Beatup (but alive !)
thanks for your post, most of us keep the hope for the
time our loved one gets into the beautiful journey of recovery and to read your post helps me to know that is can and does happen!

I believe in miracles and you are one
God Bless you
liddy
Old 06-03-2003, 08:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Beatup,

Thanks so much for your comments on this board. I sometimes wish I could go to as many AA meetings as I do Al Anon, but the AA meetings around here are closed or the ones I can get to are closed. But sometimes I really would prefer to talk to an A in order to get their slant on something that is bothering me with my addicted daughter. And I do have some friends in AA and I have been able to ask them questions about the alcoholic/addict. It truly does help me to hear from the A as well as my Al Anon friends.

So thanks again. Feel free to enlighten me anytime....

Hugs,

Hangin' In
Old 06-04-2003, 04:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Beatup

Thank you for bringing your story here. So many of us come here or post when we are in the midst of the chaos of active addiction.

It is refreshing and wonderful to be reminded of the many many miracles that happen every day, and God Bless you and your sister for being two of them.

And as the mother of an addict, I am going to ask you to give your mom a huge hug from me.