Ready to call it quits

Old 10-27-2007, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ready to call it quits

Hi everyone. I'm new here, and I have a huge dilemma on my hands. My fiance is addicted to crack. We've been together for going on 3 years now and when I met him, he had been clean for almost a year. Little by little he started sneaking blasts...I didn't find out about this until about a year ago. I went through a really rough time with him last year. He was constantly lying, disappearing for hours at a time, not picking me up from work, spending all of my money, and even trading my things for a high. Finally he decided to get his life straightened out. He cleaned up, got a union job, and became the breadwinner. I was so proud of him. Things stayed this way for maybe a month or two until he went to a meeting and ran into an old friend of his, a dealer. From there it's just been downhill.

It's been 3 weeks and $2000 later, last night and today being the latest episode...pay day, of course. It was decided that I was to take care of our finances because he can't be trusted with money. It was his idea to not cash his pay check and we'd go together. At lunch time yesterday, he was at the bar(every Friday thing with this company) complaining about the rain, said he had $50 left out of the $75 he had so I was happy. He called me later to say he was on his way home, then a couple hours later he said he was at a mutual friend's house. 10 hours later and he finally shows up at home asking me to give him more money...he had $20 left out of a full paycheck! I had money saved for bills, and hid it...woke up this morning, and he left $40 sitting where the money was, that's it...everything else is gone! Even he was gone again, and hasn't been home since.

Our car insurance is late and about to be canceled. We have a TOTALLY EMPTY fridge and freezer. Our house payment is due on the 5th(this is our new house, we've only been here for 2 months!) and there's only one paycheck until then AND he's had a bunch of rain days. We're in extreme debt to his parents. We had a budget planned out yet he just doesn't care. All the dope money would have paid for every bill!!!

My fiance has left when his son was here(who he only gets on weekends), without saying a word, and left me to answer his son's questions and watch him run to the window every time he hears a car thinking it's his daddy. It's truly heartbreaking. I'm so afraid that when I leave it's just going to get worse and I don't want to know how bad my stepson is suffering because of his father.

I'm at the end of my rope and ready to pack my bags, but it's just so hard to turn my back on my family when they need so much help. I've tried to stop these things from happening, went as far as to pretty much attack him outside of a dealers house while I was 3 months pregnant because baby and me came second to his addiction. That time he even got physical, and I also contribute that night to the loss of that pregnancy.

I guess I'm just here seeking advice or the opportunity to talk to others who can relate. I need help before I lose my mind. I love him so much that I feel like I can't leave, but I care about him enough to know that it could make things better. I'm totally confused. Someone please tell me I'm not alone!

-- S
Old 10-27-2007, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

he is doing what addicts do. welcome to S.R this site save my sanity.my son is a crack addict & it is a long hard road. we can not love them enough to keep them clean.they are going to use when they want to & clean up when they want to,some never do. lock your valuables up,hide the credit cards.they love only the drug.read"what addicts do" at the top of the forum. we have all been where u r.there is lots of info here.i am sorry u are going thru this.keep coming back & take care of your self.prayers, hope
Old 10-27-2007, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, my daughter is my addict. She is 21 and living with her crack addicted boyfriend who is 37. He has 3 daughters who he no longer sees because of his addiction to crack. Crack has taken everything from both him and my daughter. They live in a motel because they have been repeatedly evicted from places when they spent the rent money on crack. In the last three years this man has made in excess of $300,000 but does not have the proverbial "pot to p*ss in". I saw my daughter last weekend for the first time in over 7 months. We were talking about a lawsuit that the abf has because of a broken jaw that he incurred in a bar fight over the summer. I was joking and said maybe they would become millionaires. At that point she told me that it would not matter because they would smoke all the money up in crack. Sad, but true. I practice "hands off" my daughter. I will not give her money, pay her bills or give her a comfortable place to sleep at night. That is only enabling her addiction. Your fiancee will not quit until he is ready. No one and nothing will bring about a change in him until he finds that using is more painful than doing whatever is necessary to stay clean. You, on the other hand, can protect yourself. Do what you need to do to protect yourself emotionally, physically and financially. If that means kicking him out, then it is okay to do it. Will he get worse? Worse than what, worse than he already is. The only thing that is preventing him from truly facing the consequences of his using right now is that you continue to provide for him. We codies have a way of wanting to make things easier for the addicts that we love. Stick around and read others stories. Your life can get better, whether his does or not. Hugs, Marle
Old 10-27-2007, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, fshay. take care of yourself. you cannot change or control him or his addiction. you going to alanon/naranon or considering any counseling? my daughter is an addict/alcoholic - alanon meetings and private counseling really help me.

keep reaching out, nope - you're not alone. hugs, k
Old 10-27-2007, 10:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, but sorry you are having to go through this.

I am a recovering crack addict, and the posts above me are right on. He absolutely will not stop until the consequences of his addiction are bad enough - he has to hit bottom.

As long as he is smoking crack, the ONLY thing he can think about is how to get more. The streets are full of people who have given up everything - jobs, homes, children, etc. because of crack.

If you continue to let him come home, do as Hope said - hide money, valuables, etc. I spent 4 days in jail once, came home and my 1800-square foot house was totally empty. My ex-boyfriend had "sold" everything - including the vacuum cleaner, but more importantly my dead mother's wedding ring, my great-grandmother's antique table, and bedroom furniture that I had finished myself when I was 17 years old.

And Marle is right, too. As long as anyone enables him - giving him money, a warm place to sleep, etc., it is only prolonging him hitting bottom. The best thing you can do, is take care of yourself.

Read the stickies and other posts. You will find you are definitely not alone.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-27-2007, 10:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

But, as Hope said.....this is what addicts do. (Read the Sticky file at the top of this forum...it's so true)

You did not cause this, you cannot control it, you can't cure it.

But you do have one choice, and only one choice right now: You can let go, and save your life and your child's, or you can be dragged, until you end up on the streets because of "love", so far in debt that you will need the rest of your life just to get back to normal, with all of your relationships (family, friends) ruined for the sake of your fiancee. You can lay all of your life's goals, dreams, and wishes on the altar of your fiancee's addiction, and let it all burn in the name of "love."

Or you can focus on yourself, and let God focus on him. He's the only one who can help him right now...you are not that powerful, none of us are.

Saving yourself right now does not mean breaking off your relationship with him, or never seeing him again, or anything like that. It means separating yourself from him financially, physically, and emotionally. Nothing is carved in stone...you can take small small steps, and rethink things in a few weeks, months, or years -- but if you don't do this, his problems may change your life in horrible ways. It has happened to many of us.

Please take care of yourself and your child. You are not "turning your back on your family" You are saving your family -- the part that CAN be saved anyway -- from his addiction.

Sending you strength to do what you need to do to survive this.

GiveLove
Old 10-27-2007, 10:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
On a tear

I'm at the end of my rope and ready to pack my bags, but it's just so hard to turn my back on my family when they need so much help. I've tried to stop these things from happening, went as far as to pretty much attack him outside of a dealers house while I was 3 months pregnant because baby and me came second to his addiction. That time he even got physical, and I also contribute that night to the loss of that pregnancy.
You and baby first.... if you keep that in mind, it might help prioritize stuff for you.

He can take care of himself... he has proved that time and again. He can find his drugs AND someone to be responsibile for him.

He cannot take care of his other child. If you do leave, please report his behavior to the guardian ad litem, or the bio-mom... your home does not sound like a safe place for that child when you are gone.

Be aware that you deserve a good life. You earned the right to a joyous, loving life the day you were born. You have done nothing to deserve the painful life you currently have.

Living alone is difficult, but rewarding. There are women's shelters that can help you find housing, let you know what other resources are around and can guide you. They often have free counseling.

Inertia... the force of the universe that keeps us "stuck" is strong.... pain is the force I've found that will get me to move into action. I can take a lot... and did. The problem was, I exposed my children to a lot more pain than THEY should have had to tolerate.

Alanon helped me get my priorities straight in many areas... I urge you to try several Alanon or Naranon meetings, as well.

((hugs))
Old 10-27-2007, 03:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

My viewpoint is simple...young children first and foremost...

Your man is in the throws of active addiction, he is not a responsible adult, and, never will be until he seeks recovery, and, stays off the crap forever...not an easy thing to do,even in recovery, relapses are common.

I offer no advice, all I can say is that he will always be an addict, it's just a matter of whether he is active or not.....and the bottom line is, are you ready to continue riding the rollercoaster...forever?

When I turned my ex-abf over to my higher power, I was free, I moved forward with my life....for that I am grateful.

Take care of you, keep posting, it will help.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you are ready to pack your bags, I would strongly encourage you to do so...This will only get worse, not better and you are loosing your life to his addiction. But please let your step son's mom know what is going on so that poor boy does not spend his weekends with a dangerous father.

Naranon meetings really help...If you can't find one near you, try Alanon.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for everyone's replies. I've thought everything over long and hard, and I'm ready to leave him. He's been gone all day again today, just MIA. I haven't even gotten a phone call to say he's okay. I keep checking his cellphone activity, and nothing since 3:45pm. He probably sold it...again. I'm ready to leave, but he has my car so I guess I'm kind of SOL and have to sit here waiting for him to get home.

I wrote down some feelings for him on paper so maybe he'll read it. It basically just says what I've learned since signing up for this group this afternoon...he's got to do it for himself and I've basically just been a cushion for him to fall into every time. I've threatened to leave before, but this time I need to stick with my instincts and just get the heck out of dodge.

Just to make it clear, we only have my step-son. As for telling the bio-mom about my fiance's addiction, I'm not sure that's my place but I've thought about it many times. I wish I could work up the guts to do that...I just don't think I can. I think that's what he needs though, I think he'd want to make a change for himself if it meant seeing his son or not. Her and I get along well, but I'm afraid she'll she me as desperate and trying to sabotage my fiance and stepson's relationship.

I looked up schedules for Naranon but there aren't any close enough to go to. I'm going to check with Alanon.

I just wanted to say thank you again to everyone. I'm so happy to have found this place!

:ghug
Old 10-27-2007, 04:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

You can report your car as stolen, it is yours...don't really know how far you want to go with this. My ex-abf took(stole my keys) my car, I reported it as stolen, good thing I did as he was letting his dealer use it, for drugs...well, I got it back, it was a mess, but, not damaged and their were no accidents, good thing for me...when dealing with an addict there is no prediciting what can and will happen.

Anytime you threaton to leave and don't do it, you give the addict all your power, they know they can get away with their behavior, the history speaks volumes to them...they thrive on this venue.

Sit back, think this all thru, and make the best decision for you...the only person you can control is you.

You hold the key to your future in the palm of your hand, you can choose to grip it tightly, or, you can choose to use it to unlock a new door. He does not hold the key to your future, he never has, never will....only you do.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Welcome. I wish you luck and offer prayers. Others before me have said what needs saying.

You are not alone. You count for something. You have value.

Never forget that and you will have strength.. you already do.. more than you may realize.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good for you! You sound like you've got a lot of strength.

I'm all for the MYOB policy until it comes to the safety of children. Maybe you could mention to the bio-mom that the dad is using again and you just wanted her to know so she could monitor the situation for her son whom you obviously care about as well. There doesn't need to be alot of accusation. It's more common courtesy to the bio-mom. She can decide the best way to handle with her son.

HUGS and prayers for you!
Old 10-27-2007, 07:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dollydo View Post
You can report your car as stolen, it is yours...don't really know how far you want to go with this. My ex-abf took(stole my keys) my car, I reported it as stolen, good thing I did as he was letting his dealer use it, for drugs...well, I got it back, it was a mess, but, not damaged and their were no accidents, good thing for me...when dealing with an addict there is no prediciting what can and will happen.

Anytime you threaton to leave and don't do it, you give the addict all your power, they know they can get away with their behavior, the history speaks volumes to them...they thrive on this venue.
Thanks for your reply. I've thought of reporting the car stolen...many many times. Just not sure I want to take it that far. I would really rather settle this without the help of any authorities. I guess if I don't hear from him by tomorrow afternoon, that might be my only option.

I know threatening to leave and then staying is really bad. I've told him so many times that one time I'm actually going to leave and that he thinks I'm kidding only because I haven't yet. It's time now...it's gone too far. He could at least call and let me know that he and the car are okay. Even if he just stopped by to show his face, but I guess he knows I'd just want the car and he'd be screwed. *sigh* I haven't even seen him for 20 hours...and the time I did see him was him begging for money(it is his money, I don't have a job...but he put the finances in my hands and I'm not being held responsible).

I'll keep you guys posted on the missing fiance fiasco.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lightquest View Post
Good for you! You sound like you've got a lot of strength.
Thank you for that...I'd like to think so, but I'm starting to lose it now.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

foxy,

so sorry you are going thru this. I too have a step son that I love very much, we actually have full custody of him as his mother is also an addict and is currently in prison.

When my husband was in active addiction my step son was my greatest concern.

One thing I thought about your step son is this..............if his dad only has him on weekends chances are dad will not even pick the child up for visits............once your not there to take care of him,
and also
the childs mother may know that dad has drug issues but because your doing such a good job of keeping it covered by picking up the peices shes not aware of his current use...............that wont be the case if your gone and if she finds out she (hopefully) wont put her child at risK)

You deserve better than this................stick around here (SR) your not alone many of us know how difficult this is theres alot of support

((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))
Old 10-29-2007, 03:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The mom needs to know

Please tell the child's mom. I too raised my stepdaughter for 14 years. It is not your decision if that child should be in that environment or not. It is his mothers. The on again off again insanity that goes with addiction is far to powerful and damging for a child to be around. That child should not be in a home with drugs or an active user. I now have children of my own and am still sheltering them from all the affects his addiction is causing. These are innocent impreshonable babies who deserve better:ghug .
Old 10-29-2007, 03:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I agree with telling the child's mother, it just may save that child's life. If it were your own child, would you want it to be in this situation?

I'm sorry for the heartache you are experiencing, but I have to tell you that addiction is a progressive disease and it will get worse before it ever gets better.

You sound like a person who could take very good care of herself on your own, even though you would be sad for a while about leaving him. You have to ask yourself if this is how you want to live, and how long you can stay in a relationship that has cost you everything including an unborn child.

The pain of leaving will be great but it will not last forever, the pain of staying may be never ending and become worse every time he uses. These are not the choices we want to make in life, but they may be the choices that affect our life forever.

My prayers go out for you, that you find the courage and strength to do what is right for you and to be honest with the child's mother.

Hugs
Old 10-29-2007, 09:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

:codiepolice

No matter how hard you try, no matter how much you cry, beg, plead, and threaten, it will only give YOU a headache. You can't fix him, that's his choice!

Take care of you, until he is clean for a while he doesn't care about you or his son, only the next high. It will only get worse! How do I know? I tried to fix it for 5 years! Nothing works until they hit their bottom, and we don't break their fall.
IMO, I'd tell the childs mother too. He has no business being around a child while using. Bad things happen to children all the time for retaliation, neglect etc.
You are in my prayers--and you CAN do it! I did.

susan
Old 10-29-2007, 10:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Just want to say how sorry I am for what you are going through. I am in a similar situation with my husband who has been addicted to crack for 3 years that I know of. I believe there were past years before we met that I didn’t know about. We have 2 children aged 3 & 4. I lived with him for as long as I could endure it. His sister told me that I could lose the kids if I had them staying overnight in OUR house while he was doing drugs. I moved out right away because he wouln't stop doing his drug in our house in the basement. So I’m out of my house because he is there doing drugs under the false pretense of renovating the house. It sounds crazy but the house is very run down and he has the money to fix it. We waited 2 years for a legal settlement (his so I have no claim to it) with his promises of fixing things. Some things have been started so he's making sure there's enough of a carrot. But its killing me to see a lot of this money going to his addiction. I wish we never got the money because its made it far worse. I wanted the house fixed before he spends it on drugs so I’m letting him stay there to “work on it”. But, I’m sure in a couple more weeks, I’ll have had enough with the waiting and head games and tell him to leave and deal with the house myself.

He keeps telling me that he is going to get off drugs when….
And I keep saying I’m going to divorce him when…
It can go on and on forever. I don’t have any great words of wisdom but maybe knowing there is someone out there enduring a very similar hell will be somewhat comforting.

Keep in touch, I’ll be hoping for you and praying we both have the strength to get through this. And even though the child is a stepson, he needs you to look out for him whether that’s talking to the mother or checking in on him.