Notices

Just want to introduce myself and have loads of questions

Old 10-27-2007, 02:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Just want to introduce myself and have loads of questions

my name is angelswings3dys and I am new here. I have not picked a sobriety date yet because I am supposedly under a doctors care while taking pain meds. Can someone tell me if this is the right place for me when I have an addiction to pain meds given to me by a doctor because of an accident? I shake and get migranes and weepy whenever I try to stop taking them. I have recently started taking two at a time to get the same effect as one used to give me. Is this an addiction and if so is this the right place for me?
I will check back here tomorrow evening and hopefully someone will have responded. Please help. I don't know where to go right now. Just someone pointing me in the right direction would be helpful. Thank you
angelswings3dys:praying
Old 10-27-2007, 02:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey angel - glad you found this place. sorry to hear what you're going through. I would say that if you felt you needed to come here, that means you are worried about what these meds are doing to you. addiction is addiction whether its alcohol, street drugs, or prescription meds. there is a lot of great advice and support here so I hope you will stick around and hear what people have to say. have you talked to your doctor about it?? thats the first step i would suggest so you can go through some sort of detox and if you can get to a NA meeting, that will help too. My prayers are with you, try and stay strong
Old 10-27-2007, 02:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

welcome Angel -

there's tons of support here. ALso you might want to view the forums on drug addiction and recovery, and read the stickys on the tops of the forums. There's lots and lots of information here .. as well as others who know what you're dealing with.
I'm an alcoholic, so the whole drug addiction thing is a tad different than where I'm used to coming from in a recovery way ... but at the end of my drinking days I'd developed a nice little dependency on oxycodone, and oxycontin ...

I hope you'll continue to post and make some friends along the way!

It was my expereince that when i finally came clean with the doc - she didn't raise an eyebrow. No sclding or the usual things the addict expects to have ... after it was all done - it was pretty low key, actually. She didn't ask me how I got them, from whom, or anything. Just how much I was taking.

Hopefully that's an encouraging word about speaking with your own doctor.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad you made it to SR. a BIG welcome. I'm sure people will be along soon with knowledge of your situation. I wish you all the best.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Keep reading and posting. I wish you the best of luck.

Barb
Old 10-27-2007, 12:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Okay first we are not here to tell you wether or not you have an adiction problem only you can honestly answer that within yourself. I will say this I feel that you are still in control why else would you come looking for help for what you say you think could be a problem, if I was to give you any advice I would tell your doctor....he/she should be able to help you.......good luck and please keep posting....:praying
Old 10-27-2007, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

You are definitely in the right place to find support and information.

You said you are getting pain medication from a dr, but does the dr know that you think you are addicted and that the meds aren't working as they used to? If not, you should talk to your dr and he can give you his advice.

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

You may have missed this ..please read

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...640436,00.html

Blessings
Old 10-27-2007, 09:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
outtahere

Hi angleswings,

You are doing the right thing to be concerned about taking too much drugs. It is probably best to get off drugs as soon as you can rather than take more.

Drugs can cause you a lot more pain later on than you have now.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've bit my tongue long enough here. I've about had it with Doctors and their pain killers. They want you to get addicted. They want you to become dependant on pain killers. It makes for a life long customer. Doctors can, but won't fix the cause. If they fix the cause, you are better and you go away. Instead they choose to treat the symptoms. If the cause isn't fixed, the symptoms last forever. They own you!
Knowing that, the human body has a remarkable way of reparing itself. When you trick your body into thinking it's O.K. with pain killers, it will never get better. I have seen so many prescription addicts come into our rooms swearing they were in pain. After getting them off the pain killers for a few months their pain was gone. The pain was real, but mostly in their heads. Get them away from the Doctors and the pain is gone.
We have a woman in our group that has lost her legs in an accident. She can still feel her feet. That is how powerful the brain is. That is the same brain that tells you thet you're in pain.
This is just my personal belief and should not be taken as fact.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd have bitten my tongue more

D
Old 10-28-2007, 08:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm not the only one holding my tongue. Do some research and find out how many people these drug dealers are killing every year. Here's a place to start.
http://www.newstarget.com/009173.html