Need help w/SO w/nitrous addiction

Old 10-25-2007, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help w/SO w/nitrous addiction

He is an alcoholic as well, though lately he is visably altered w/out the presence of the normal smell of alcohol, etc. I knew it was something. He already has a condition (pernicious anemia) due to heavy nitrous use in college, & he has to have B12 injections monthly for the rest of his life because of it. He has a constant hacking cough and headaches (which he never got before) and has been vomiting a lot lately.

I go to AL-ANON already, but now I am terrified that I am going to find him dead soon because he has obviously damaged his body so much to have new symptoms on top of the condition he already has. Anyone have experience w/this? I know he is addicted but I don't think he understands the magnitude of what can happen from doing this?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Should I post this under a different board?

Thanks
Old 10-25-2007, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Long term consequences, like death or health related problems, don't seem to deter addicts. I wouldn't count on the health issues to keep him from using. I don't have any experience with nitrous.

If it were me, and he was living in my home, I would insist on a medical evaluation because I would not want to have a drug-realted health emergency to deal with. That's just me.

Hopefully someone with more experience will come along.
HUGS
Molly