OT.. Keeping Humble.....

Old 10-25-2007, 05:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

OT.. Keeping Humble.....

I have decided that taking Atka to Dog School is necessary because she loves it and it keeps me humble. Gosh knows we all need a dose of humility to keep us square with the rest of humanity!

Every week we get homework. I work on this at home, I work with her in town on the street with distractions. I take her with me every where and work for a few minutes at a time here and there on various things..

.. and she is GOLDEN. Nearly PERFECT....

Then we go to Dog School. She knows where we are going. She goes outside and waits by the truck to go. She sits in the front seat and whines "are we THERE yet?" She LOVES dog school....

.. and we get to dog school and she forgets I am there, forgets what her commands mean and she forgets every bit of homework we have mastered during the week.... she dumps her water on the floor and just wants to jump around and watch the other dogs, who, BTW, are actaully DOING WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO!

Oh we make a little progress each week.. but dang she can make me look like the world's dumbest dog trainer at Dog School.

And then she sleeps all the way home and when we GET home she races joyously all over the lawn as if to say, "HAHAHAHAHA! Made you look stupid!! HAHAHAHA!.. I am celebrating....." I have to laugh... darn animal!

I roll my eyes and repeat the process weekly... and I do have to smile because it is so humbling and pretty humorous. Ten month old German Shepherd has me humbled...

She is young and I have no doubt this too will pass, but in the meantime....
Old 10-25-2007, 05:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How cute...what would you do without her!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 06:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ha!!! our animals are like children.when we want to show them off they r at there worst. who cares what she does at school as long as she really is learning. i can tell you really love your baby.my babies are birds but u would not believe how trained they are. i love my babies so much.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Birds are AWESOME Hope! My Dad and I raised Pheasants and Ruffed grouse (illegally in the City Limits I might add!) when I was a kid! I have read that some African Grey Parrots exhibit as much intelligence as a 5 year old child and they actually understand the words they are saying!

I like birds a lot. spend hours watching the wild ones (or used to when I had time).
Old 10-25-2007, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Elana -

Yep, pets can sure keep you humble. We have 4 cats and a chihuahua....all spoiled rotten. I found that THEY are the ones who have trained ME, but that's okay. I can have a conversation with the cats...they answer back but I haven't got a clue as to what they are saying

Right now, I'm "recovering" from having 3 teeth pulled yesterday. My favorite cat, Elvis, is curled up next to me. Our pets love us unconditionally, can make us look like a fool and laugh about it, and are always there when we have a bad day....what more can you ask for?

Amy
Old 10-25-2007, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pets have got to be God's gifts to us. They are always there for us-making us smile-oaugh and licking our tears away. E-you have to be proud of that doggie of yours-should be a champion when you are done. My two "terrible" pups have come a long way-no more eating the floors and furniture (hehe they are lucky they lived through it) but only giant pups. They have manners now-can meet strangers and sit and behave. They are learning to "talk" and ask for things. They met my birds when AH 1st brought the pups home. Only one time did they investigate the cages. Quaker parrots bit them both right on the nose!!!!!! Cockatiels-screeched and scared them. Months later-they have no interest in the birds. I cannot part with any of them now-just too special!!!!!! One neighbor loves my half shepherd/half lab (about the size of a mini pony-haha. Neighbor is too old for another dog but plays with Mr. T. My personal dog pack is expensive but the neighbor brought $15 for dog food. Getting a discount at the farm supply store-heck I could eat a little less-gained some of the 30 stress lbs. I lost since June. E, Atka must just be playing with you-I betcha she knows exactly what to do. Maybe she was just showing off? LOL
Old 10-25-2007, 09:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

giggles. I can just see you and the beautiful, energetic golden at dog school! How cool is it that you are willing to have a little "humble" and have such a fun attitude about it! That's an inspiration.

My little guy is a cocker - didn't intend to end up with a cocker, but he snuggled up to me at the pound, purebred, sweet, and I couldn't resist. I put my 10yr springer spaniel to sleep in August because of cancer. He was certified for therapy and reliably trained off-lead.....the new kid, all 20 pounds of him, practically pulls me down the street....and if we see a squirrel! OMG. I'm pulled halfway up a tree. Next time your golden gives you fits in class, think of me hanging halfway up a tree trunk being pulled by a 20lb black cocker spaniel! LOL.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Oh Lightquest.. she is only GOLDEN at home.. at dog School she is a German shepherd with few manners (we work off lead all the time at home or hiking with NO problem).

When I take her to Sheep trials she makes believe she is a border Collie (she is good with the sheep)... and she is usually the only German Shepherd there. I tell everyone she is my border Collie but she is wearing her German Shepherd Halloween costume....

I hear you on the dog pulling.. when Atka pulls I immediately turn around and walk in the opposite direction.. She has a GREAT "lie down" on her and if she starts to chase something I give her the LIE DOWN command and, like a good stock dog, she lies down looking at whatever she is interested in.

I never had a dog take me up a tree.... but I can picture that. Cockers can be fun little dogs!
Old 10-25-2007, 10:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
rozied

Hi Elana, I really enjoyed your antidote about Atka. I really would love to get a pet but Jim doesn't want one. When Chris was 3 he brought home a stray kitten from the local dairy farm. He put her in a paper bag & doused her with perfume as we were living in an apt over my parents & he knew my mom didn't care for cats & he figured if she smelled good she would let him keep her...................it wked & we had her for 19yrs until she passed away. Then I got a beautiful gray long haired cat named Sun n Moon.................again Chris brought her home (for me. ) It was a male & only 8wks old when I got him. I loved him alot but when I was so sick I couldn't take care of him like I should so I found him a good home..........now that I'm ok I wish I still had him.
I am getting a little ticked off at Jim as its my house too & I know my 2 little grandsons would really love having a kitten & so would I. I miss having a pet alot.
Love,
Diane
Old 10-25-2007, 10:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

LOL. Oh too funny! I hope I didn't offend her German roots.

Thanks Elena!

That's great advice! I'll start working on it right away. I never had a dog that got this hopped up about a good scent.

I would LOVE to see sheep trials. Do they do those in Michigan?
Old 10-25-2007, 05:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

*ahem* My wondercat, Toby, walked with me today all the way down the walking path that runs through the forest by the water, and back again....without needing his leash put on. ***Takes Bow***

Okay, so dogs are cute too and I know how our furry babies can be just like bad children and embarrass us around strangers.

I like your story but I caught myself muttering "You GO Atka!! Atta Girl!!"

Hugs
Old 10-25-2007, 07:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Oh thanks Ann.. of course Oliver plays with Atka and Naughty threatens to rip her ever lovin' doggy head off!

Tonight when it all got done I was in the recliner.. reclining and Oliver was at the foot of it.. Naughty was on one arm, Peanut behind my head.. and Atka came over and washed Oliver all over. He stayed there and allowed it (tho he was trying to decide if he should purr).

Oliver is very good on his leash.. and next week I have threatened to take HIM to dog school. I bet all those dogs who behave at dog school won't behave if I bring Oliver instead of Atka!

BTW Toby is an awesome cat, leash or no leash!