I need to keep busy!

Old 10-23-2007, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

I need to keep busy!

Good Morning! ( Well its morning for me) I am not usually on this during the day, I teach full time, but I live in San diego County so I am surrounded by fire and I have been stuck at home. ( so far) which is better than many people i know who have been evacuated or have lost their homes. my problem is i can't go out,( way too smokey, my chest and eyes are hurting even inside with the air conditioner on). All the TV is news coverage which is too depressing and raises my anxiety level. I am reading my literature, I have cleaned and filed everything! I have everything ready if I am asked to leave, so now I am spending too much idle time. ( Day 2 now) In this idle time my mind begins to work overtime. So You know what that means. I call my son and my husband and want to talk,( when I should shut up ) which isn't what they want. (of course) and it leaves me feeling very insecure, anxious, mad and unwanted. Which as i write, sounds pretty pathetic since people around me have it far worse!
So anyways, since I am alternating between reading my Literature and reading posts to get myself out of this feeling sorry for myself mode, ( I was doing much better at this when I was busy!) thought I would check in personally with you guys instead of hanging out on the outskirts!
I know I need to get busy and find a sponsor so I will have somebody else to call who would understand. but that is a hard thing to do. I don't know how to find out who would be willing. It seems like such a big thing to ask of someone. any ideas on how to find one? Or any ideas how to spend another day cooped up at home?
Cathy
Old 10-23-2007, 10:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

Okay,
so I read my own post and think its pretty sad and self-centered. so I am getting up off my behind and going out to see if I can volunteer somewhere. I didn't yesterday because my chest really is bugging me ( I must be allergic to something in this smoke!) but I'll survive! I think I need to get out of myself today! If anyone has any ideas about the sponsor quest I'll take those!:sorry
Cathy
Old 10-23-2007, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

FWIw staying busy is a HUGE help in moving forward and getting out of thought patterns. HUGE HUGE HUGE.

Once I got my new dog and the kitten and the spring hit with all the yard work I was MUCH better. Did MUCH better. Yard work is winding down but the dog work is NOT so I am still busy.

And, BTW, you are ALLOWED to be self Centered sometimes. We codies don't do that enough.

However, inflicting pain on ourselves and thinking of the addict is not good and, BTW it is not self centered.. it is anything but!
((((Cece))))
Old 10-23-2007, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi cece,

I was told to attend different meetings and when I heard a story simular to mine, ask that person if they would be my Sponsor. I got a part time sponsor that way & then found a full time Sponsor that still keeps in touch with me....she moved away..about a three hour drive from where I live.

Good luck to you. I have been watching the news about the fire....terrible. :sorry

kelsh
Old 10-23-2007, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Kelsh is right...I have been watching the news about the fire too it is so terrible. God bless you for wanting to help out. That is a great idea! Keeps you busy. Just do not over do it if you have trouble breathing get out of the smoke. Let us know you are ok. :praying

Concerned,
Broken
Old 10-23-2007, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Cece,

I hope you're still safe from the fires!! On finding a sponsor, I was told to ask someone who had what I wanted. For me that was someone who sounded together, content and loving. I found her and asked, but she told me she no longer sponsors but she'd been around for a while and knew a lot of people and suggested someone. Good luck!!
Old 10-23-2007, 12:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

It is hard for a lot of us to ask for help...It seems especially true if we've been single moms. Asking someone to sponsor feels like asking for help. But as you know part of this program is giving away what we have (recovery) There are many willing to sponsor...they just have to be asked.
I live in the county N. of you. I too am stuck indoor due to poor air quality.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

praying for all of you to be safe -

and let me say that as a sponsor & a sponsee - it is a wonderful thing - there has been many, many times that those relationships have benefited both ways. So not only are you reaching out for help, but you are also lending help to someone too.

The only way we keep it is to give it away - sounds strange - but it is true.

Be Safe,

Wishing you Serenity & Joy,
Rita
Old 10-23-2007, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

thank you all for the help.
I am going to follow advice and listen carefully to others at the meeting and be brave enough to ask someone to sponsor me! Yikes!!
There is one person i am thinking about, I am still not sure (or scared) so give me a couple of more meetings. I will also visit some other meetings. that was a good idea.

I can't believe these fires. I am safe ,thank you for asking, unless it all goes to hell. But there are fires all around us. It's crazy! People who don't live in San Diego County think its all beaches. My relatives from other states are calling and saying where the heck are all those mountains that are on fire?? I thought it was beaches! but seriously there are about 1000 homes as of this morning lost. One of them is a friend of mine.
There doesn't seem to be an end in sight. The fire is in residential areas also and it is 0% contained.
I did go to a shelter and bring some games. they told me to come back tomorrow and volunteer so I will. the schools are closed the whole week and kids are supposed to be kept indoors. So I have the rest of the week to keep busy!
thanks for caring and the prayers we need them.:praying
Cathy
Old 10-23-2007, 04:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Take care wih the fires. I remember evacuating in 98 how scarey, and my best friend is jus North of oyou she was expecting all day yeserdady o leave
Old 10-24-2007, 04:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

do u go to meeting? that is the best places to get a sponsor. take care of yourself.you & all those exposed to the fires are in my prayers.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Be careful Cece... We are all thinking about you and saying lots of prayers.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Cece, Praying for all who all involved in the Ca. fires. I can only imagine how scarey it must be.

Stay safe.........Lo:praying