Notices

Havin a tough time

Old 10-22-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Havin a tough time

oh boy. so I guess I'll start by telling you my drinking habits. never had a problem until about two months ago. I have generalized anxiety disorder so I use alcohol to make it go away. I quit my job because of my mental health and so now I would say I drink for a living. I'm relatively drunk right now but with it enough to know I need help. I wake up and drink whatever is leftover from the night before and then go to the store to get the rest of my days fix. having alcoholism is absolutely amazing to me even though, historically, it is the most prevelant disease in my family. both sides. my father drank vodka every day for twenty years I was alive. Just about a year ago he went to a rehab in Maine and hes been sober since. Done AMAZINGLY well. Alcoholism is such a genetic disease and ill tell you why in my honest opinion. Please note I am not full of myself, I am only telling you this to put this into perspective. I am a very pretty blonde with doey brown eyes. i am 5'5" and 122 pounds and guys have always stared at me.Even my parents friends tell them how they think I am the most beautiful girl. I graduated from a very good new england college with a business degree, with honors, and I have everything going for me. What isnt going for me is this brutal disease that runs rampant in my family and tears apart my life. I'll be honest, I do not look beautiful anymore. I could make a movie or go on a talk show on my transformation. I'm asking, what do I do. How do I beat this? If I want to stop drinking, can I do it tomorrow?? I really need some support. I am on a forum for my anxiety and they are wonderful people and have helped me soo much. I am hoping I can find the same support here. GOD WILLING! I NEED HELP!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey BoSox (World Series, here we come!) - have you thought of starting to go to AA?? and depending how much you drink, might want to consult a doctor about detoxing. I glad you found us, there is a lot of love and support here
Old 10-22-2007, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

Yes, you can do it and you can do it right now. It's great that you've come here seeking here. This is a very caring community and we do understand how hard it is to stop drinking. I also started drinking to self-medicate (I was very depressed and couldn't sleep). You'd be surprised how many people begin that way, only to find out that they have an addiction to alcohol.

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before you stop drinking because detoxing can be dangerous. We have lots of information and support here, so keep posting.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I hope you get the support you need in here. I have also been going through a tough time with my mother passing away two weeks ago today. It has been an emotionally draining experience, but I have been staying sober with the help of these cyber walls.

All the best of luck,

Rob
Old 10-22-2007, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hey rob - glad you are staying strong considering what you're going through! stay strong
Old 10-22-2007, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Bosox,

Yes, alcoholism is genetic, and no, it does not discriminate.

It does not matter what you look like, where you went to school, your net worth, your race, gender etc.

It's never been difficult for me to look good on the outside. The real work was allowing that beauty to seep inside.

Getting sober is the best gift you can give yourself. Have you talked to your Dad about your alcoholism since he got sober?

I hope you keep posting.