Old 10-22-2007, 02:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - October 22

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Holding Your Own

Trust yourself. Trust what you know.

Sometimes, it is hard to stand in our own truth and trust what we know, especially when others would try to convince us otherwise.

In these cases, others may be dealing with issues of guilt and shame. They may have their own agenda. They may be immersed in denial. They would like us to believe that we do not know what we know; they would like us not to trust ourselves; they would prefer to engage us in their nonsense.

We don't have to forfeit our truth or our power to others. That is codependency.

Believing lies is dangerous. When we stop trusting our truth, when we repress our instincts, when we tell ourselves there must be something wrong with us for feeling what we feel or believing what we believe, we deal a deadly blow to our self and our health.

When we discount that important part of ourselves that knows what is the truth, we cut ourselves off from our center. We feel crazy. We get into shame, fear, and confusion. We can't get our bearings when we allow someone to pull the rug from under us.

This does not mean that we are never wrong. But we are not always wrong.

Be open. Stand in our truth. Trust what you know. And refuse to buy into denial, nonsense, bullying, or coercion that would like to take you off course.

Ask to be shown the truth, clearly - not by the person trying to manipulate or convince you, but by yourself, your Higher Power, and the Universe.

Today, I will trust my truth, my instincts, and my ability to ground myself in reality. I will not allow myself to be swayed by bullying, manipulating, games, dishonesty, or people with peculiar agendas.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Be open. Stand in our truth. Trust what you know. And refuse to buy into denial, nonsense, bullying, or coercion that would like to take you off course.
It took recovery for me to learn who I was and what my truth and values were, but the gift is that today I can stand in my truth, even when I stand alone. It's a good feeling to know in my heart that this is enough, I don't have to be different or better because of what others think of me.

To thine own self be true, that's what I have learned and when I am the best person I know how to be, as imperfect as that person may be...it is enough.

Hugs
Old 10-22-2007, 04:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Ann,

It is 3:30 AM here....I can't sleep because I am coughing more when lying down. I guess bronchitis gets worse before it can be better.

I feel it took recovery to find out who I am and how much integrity I really have. I felt that I was an honest person but of course I wasn't when I was an active alcoholic.

I can trust myself and trust most others if I for certain know they are being honest with themselves as well as others.

My trust was compromised when I was drinking & even though I had high moral character for myself, I would break that sometimes when I was drinking. When I lived in a Navy town...when I went out drinking, I would leave my car home and walk to the bar....so I wouldn't be tempted to let someone bring me home and find out where I was living. I was really digging a bigger hole to hide in!

I ,also, use that concept...To Thine Self be True...and work to be the best ME I can be.

I have to love myself before I can love others....how true that is for me.

kelsh
Old 10-22-2007, 06:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Happysoul,

I like what you posted. I did not like all of the greys in my life and the lies I told myself to try to believe that I wasn't an alcoholic.

My meditation times to myself are so important to me. I used to sit outside on the yard swing when I was still smoking to have my special time. I haven't been outside to do it since I stayed quit smoking.

I have many meditation books and affirmations that I have sorta memorized. My very favorite thing is the Serenity Prayer. It helps me more than any one other thing. I also have done several journals but really only finished one from cover to cover when I was in counseling five years ago. It kept me focused on the issues at hand.

Thanks for the quote by Ann.

kelsh