Books on Addiction

Old 10-21-2007, 02:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Books on Addiction

I recently bought books on addiction that I thought might help me understand the addict in my life, my 30 year old, talented but lost, AS. Am I perseverating on addiction? Is this unhealthy for a codie? Have any SR members read the book Heroin by Nikki Sixx, a very raw and graphic account of a year of drug use insanity? Have you read the recent book Clapton that includes an account of his heroin addiction and recovery? What is your take on either book, or the idea of reading personal accounts of addicts?

Sixx’ book was on a best seller list.

I have only read parts of each book at this point, but I noticed that both of these men declared that they knew friends who "did drugs," but they did not become addicts. Something in their brains made them susceptible to being controlled by drug use. Both Clapton and Sixx are in recovery now.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Graphic books or movies about addiction are triggers for me and make me very upset and sad. I understand addiction and just don't need to see it up close and personal.

Personally, I prefer more uplifting books, like anything written by Melodie Beattie or M. Scott Peck.

That's just me.

Hugs
Old 10-21-2007, 04:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Personally I find myself drawn to stories of addiction...

I have always been a reader and through the stages of my life I often choose literature that reflects my own growth or struggles....

I read A Million Tiny Pieces (I think that's the title) last year and found things I could take from that story...
recently i read Dry by the author of Running With Scissors and again found things I could ponder and observations I could apply to my situation...(RAS)

but that's just me....when my kids were young I devoured novels about contemporary family life focusing on motherhood etc....
Old 10-21-2007, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your responses. I read the Melodie Beattie books daily. They do inspire me to let go. Ann, your recovery is also a model of inspiration for my recovery. I am not familiar with Peck's work, so I am off to Amazon to check him out.

Lil, I read A Million Little Pieces before I knew my son was an addict. I guess I have always been drawn to stories of addiction because of an interest in psychology and sociology. I never realized my family would become a classic case study.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Guinevere,

I read books and watch biographies and documentaries about addiction, alcohol or drugs. I am a recoverying alcoholic and so is one of my sons. My Dad died sober, and my brother is an active alcoholic/drug user. It is all through our family.

I have the book "A Million Little Pieces" but quit reading it when I found out he had lied and exaggerated when he wrote the book.....but what alcoholic doesn't do this?

I will finish it sometime. Addiction doesn't care who we are, where we come from, what we have, or what we don't have!!! Neither does it respect race, creed, or color. I have always read and researched mental health and addict issues.

I did work at Mental Health the last nine years of working before I retired but I was already doing my own research for my alcoholism and depression.

Each of us has what works and what doesn't work. It is up to us to do what works best for us.

kelsh
Old 10-21-2007, 06:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Throughout each stage of my daughter's life I have read books that dealt with what I was going through as a mother. So it was natural for me to read books dealing with addiction. I do believe that they helped but this forum is what really made a difference in my life and so now I don't read the addiction books anymore. I read other types of books. I no longer need to surround myself with addiction. But they served a purpose and I needed them at the time. There is never such a thing as knowing too much when it comes to addiction. I do believe that knowledge is power. Hugs, Marle
Old 10-21-2007, 09:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I read Clapton's new book. I started reading in the middle of the book where he 1st starts talking about recovery. I did the same when I read William Cope Moyer's book
BROKEN. I am interested in the recovery part bec I find it inspirational and hopeful.
GONE Baby GONE the new movie just released Friday directed by Ben Affleck deals w/ addiction and my friend says it is good...I plan to see it next weekend.