Notices

Newbie, a couple questions on recovery programs

Old 10-20-2007, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Newbie, a couple questions on recovery programs

Hi. I'm a 22-year-old woman, I've been fighting alcoholism for three years. I finally got up the courage to investigate what's called an "intensive outpatient program" at my local recovery center, which is touted as one of the best in the area.

I was just wondering what a program like this normally entails. How long will it take? What will I have to do--councelling, group therapy (a concept which scares the **** out of me), drug therapy? I really have no idea what to expect.

With any luck, I want to be back to "normal" functioning in time to re-start my education in the spring semester. Is that even remotely feasible?

EDIT: If it makes any difference, the alcoholism is compounded by severe MDD and GAD.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome .

I did not go to a treatment center or an out patientt program
so have no personal experiences to share.

I am an alcoholic in AA recovery
works great for me.

I surmise by spring ...if you quit now
you will be ready for school.

Keep posting...good to see you here
Old 10-20-2007, 08:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Carol: My big problem with AA is that I really, really hate having religion forced on me. Anything that assumes faith just really irks me. Otherwise, I'd just do AA.

Thanks, though. I'll try to stick around. <3
Old 10-20-2007, 09:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Tellus. Welcome to SR. I never went to out care treatment either. I'm a member with AA. In my experience and opinion AA doesn't push religion. There are also atheists in AA. Everything that is taught in AA is just suggestions. You don't have to do anything that you feel uncomfortable with. There's also other programs you can check out on this forum. I'm not sure of the links.

Good luck and Keep reading and posting on here.

Barb
Old 10-20-2007, 09:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What are MDD and GAD?

And I am in an intensive outpatient rehab at the moment myself.

It's three hours a night, three nights a week, for twelve weeks, focusing mostly oh detox/rehab and the start of recovery.
Worksheets, some videos, lots of talking, diferrent topics, etc, lots of good info and coping/staying sober skills.

After that is a 44 week once a week umm, I forget what it's called. Aftercare, that's it. But I don't know if I -have- to take that, since I started this volentarily, as opposed to court ordered, but I probably will do it anyway.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
What are MDD and GAD?

And I am in an intensive outpatient rehab at the moment myself.

It's three hours a night, three nights a week, for twelve weeks, focusing mostly oh detox/rehab and the start of recovery.
Worksheets, some videos, lots of talking, diferrent topics, etc, lots of good info and coping/staying sober skills.

After that is a 44 week once a week umm, I forget what it's called. Aftercare, that's it. But I don't know if I -have- to take that, since I started this volentarily, as opposed to court ordered, but I probably will do it anyway.
MDD is Major Depressive Disorder, GAD is Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Apparently I'm too new to post links, but if you google "Tellurian Madison" and look at program options, the program is described there. It looks more intensive than what you described.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hmm it has longer hours, for sure.
A lot of that listed on their site is stuff that you do before you get into the class here, intake, screening, etc.

and I see. I have panic disorder/agoraphobia and depression too, but I've been seeing a different person at the same place about those after a few weeks sober..because, they don't go away when you get sober, and you have even less idea how to deal with them because you (you being me, I suppose) haven't dealt with them sober for years.

But, keep up hope, you're doing the right things
Old 10-20-2007, 10:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello Tellus,

Welcome.

I can tell you right now that starting at 22 makes you at least 16 years smarter than I was. <Grin>

If your path takes you toward AA, just remember that none of us got here by doing too many good deeds, and we didn't come here on a winning streak. None of us are entitled to judge you, and we are ESPECIALLY not qualified to save your soul. (Although we may help you save your a**)

In my experience, the AA program not only leaves you free to choose your own form of spiritual growth, that is the ONLY WAY it works. You cannot turn your will and your life over to another person's understanding of a higher power. You have to grow your own...

All I really needed to know about God is that I'm not Him, Her, It or Them. But I can get in touch, and it's a great ride.

Peace Out

FM
Old 10-20-2007, 10:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is a list of secular recovery programs.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...cular-web.html

Good Luck
Old 10-21-2007, 01:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome tellus

FM
I can tell you right now that starting at 22 makes you at least 16 years smarter than I was. <Grin>
ouch, i really dont want to do my math...

tellus, your young, and have such a full life ahead as you seek help now...

that made my day, and its just starting...

wishing you all the best tellus...

xxoo, rz
Old 10-21-2007, 02:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Tellus,

Welcome to SR and it makes my day too to hear you starting your journey with so much time up your sleeve.

I am sorry to hear that AA has a reputation for forcing religion. However, it is a spritiual programme there is no denying that.

In AA I seek a power greater than me. I know there has to be something more powerful than me cos I was licked by alcohol so there you go - my higher power was in the bottle for a while. I needed something more powerful to break the hold it had over me. I needed something to guide me to lead a better life. For a while, it was my dead Grandfather who I knew loved me unconditionally.

Tell us a bit more about yourself Tellus. That can be a good start. Making some connections with people who understand is a real plus in our recovery.

When I started to drink, I found I couldn't stop. I just kept drinking into the wee small hours no matter what. Then when I decided I needed to stop I couldn't. I needed help.

The young people in some of my groups have a great time. They go out together, go camping and enjoy their youth. It's so nice to see.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and bless you.

xx

Steph (alcoholic)
Old 10-21-2007, 05:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Talking

Welcome to SR, Tellus...

So glad you found us...
Old 10-21-2007, 06:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, tellus. outpatient sounds like a great soluiton. my daughter is 23, an alcoholic/addict with depression, and we have found that there are a lot of folks your age in aa, etc. i would not rule it out because of our religious beliefs. it's a "take what you want and leave the rest" type of program. i'm not real religious and i go to alanon (similiar to aa but for friends and family). i pray, but my higher power comes in all sorts of ways.

good luck moving forward in sobriety! and keep posting! hugs, k
Old 10-21-2007, 06:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Lurker

Welcome tellus. For me AA is my way. There are so many people there willing to listen and help. For me the spirtual side was pretty easy, but as said before there are no set rules. Only sudjestions. One sudjestion from me though is to put your sobriety absolutely first in your life. EVRYTHING comes second. With out your sobriety life will (if not already) become unmangable. Goodness if at 22 I only had the wisdom you do I would not have spent the next 20 more years in misery. Get help please. Do not make the same mistakes as I.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Whow! Only 22 and already looking for recovery. You are so far ahead of the game. Good for you!

I began recovery at 48 years old (was drinking 1 pint vodka or upto and a rare entire quart/day for 5 years). Was admitted to an area hospital for detox for 4 days then almost immediatly began intensive outpatient recovery. Also began seeing my personal MD and a psychiatrist. I tried AA for 6 months, learned alot of great tools but was basically "forced out" because I didn't believe in a "higher power" nor the "twelve steps".

That was over 3 years ago and I have been sober since. I still see my psychiatrist every 3 months (on Lexapro for depression) and my MD. My family is very supportive, and fortunatly I was a solitary drinker--no bad friends or places needing to change.

I consider myself a very "can do" person and always been very successful at whatever goal I set. HOWEVER, this was one problem I could not fix by myself. (I tried for years.) You definetly need some sort of help and if you look around and are determined enough, you will eventually find what fits for you. Don't give up!

I find this board extremely helpful, especially when I read the posts from people who feel they have been "cured" and try to moderate (frequently after many years of sobriety). They inevitably fail and are kind enoungh to post these failures. They do the research so that I may be spared the pain.

Good luck!

jane
Old 10-21-2007, 07:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

f911,

Forcing someone out of a group for non-conformity is, IMO, totally against the traditions of AA.

Kudos to you for staying sober, and thank you for the reminder to be respectful to the newcomer.

Peace,
FM
Old 10-21-2007, 10:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Tell us a bit more about yourself Tellus. That can be a good start. Making some connections with people who understand is a real plus in our recovery.
I started drinking my second semester at a really good, really selective school, got bad by my sophomore year. Three suicide attempts. The last month has been the worst in terms of amount/effect on my life. I also have dermatotillomania (similar to trichotillomania), something not yet recognized by the DSM but characterized by skin-picking. Not sure what else you want to know.

I'm sorry I'm not capable of replying to more of the posts right now, but thanks to everyone. It's good to know that my age is in my favor.

Last edited by tellus; 10-21-2007 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling error, additional info
Old 10-24-2007, 05:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think this is a great threa to be looking at for all of us. I too had to quit goig to school for a while until I get a hold of a little bit of sobriety and can handle a little more on my plate. Right now though I am taking baby steps and just going to work and trying to take a shower everyday. Yes believe it or not just staying clean can be a chore.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rloomer View Post
Yes believe it or not just staying clean can be a chore.
Trust me, I've definitely been there.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have been to treatment a couple times and it was only for 15 days where I went. Other places might be different though. it's surely worth looking into though.

Check it out and good luck