Notices

Please, I need help...

Old 10-19-2007, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please, I need help...

I am three quarters of a way through a bottle of wine and can't seem to stop. I am a drug addict, not an alcholic so the booze is hitting me hard. I just want to escape reality, I can't seem to deal with anything, I just want to escape. I am letting everyone down and don't know what to do (ok, do know but can't seem to do it) I want to be clean and sober but just can't seem to do it. I need some support or advice or something ( a kick in the butt perhaps!) please, I have nowhere else to turn but have only been here about a week, I don't know what is going on in my mind and I don't know what to do. I'll take any advice. Thanks Musy...
Old 10-19-2007, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well.

You could dump the rest of the bottle out and eat something, to help you sober up.

Then maybe take a nap and approach things with a clearer head after some rest?

Or, if you're really freaking out, you could call a local hospital and say you want to
speak with the on call mental health professional. Or just tell them that you're not feeling well and are all antsy/upset and drank so much wine. I did that once with beer, and the nurse told me to take some Benadryl and go sleep.

After this initial distress passes, I strongly encourage you to find a support group, AA or maybe NA in your case, and consider either intensive outpatient rehab, or inpatient rehab.

Whatever you do though, look to the future, and invision a good one, and work to make that happen
Old 10-19-2007, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Muzy,

As you said, you know what you need to do. Get rid of the wine and any other alcohol in the house and avoid buying anymore. You can do it and get through this. We do understand and I hope you get through this and move forward.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Tomorrow is a new day..
do you have a plan?

Blessings
Old 10-19-2007, 09:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I hope by the time you're reading this you have poured out the rest of the wine. I noticed something you wrote right away, you said that you're an addict, not an alcoholic. That concerns me. It's so easy for addicts to become an alcoholic in a heartbeat or vice versa. Try getting to bed and think fresh in the morning. I know I never did any constructive thinking when I was using any chemicals. Wet or dry. And when you wake up in the morning, don't beat yourself up over this. Move forward. Get to some meetings in the morning and throughout the entire day, lots of them. Don't allow yourself time to think about drinking. While you're there, get phone numbers so when the urge hits again, and it's going to, you can pick up the phone and not a bottle. I know from past experience when you first begin to pick up the phone to call others in the Program, it seems to weight 1,000 lbs. But believe me, it gets lighter the more you use it.

Keep it Simple and remember, if you can't go one day at a time, try an hour, a minute, whatever. Just hang in there and get some sleep tonight. It will look better in the am.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

First off welcome to SR. Do you want to stop alcohol and the drugs? Do as the others have said through out the booze and try to find the right program for yourself, there are many good methods out there if one doen't work, work another.

hugs
Old 10-20-2007, 04:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody, I needed the kick in the butt. I don't know what happened yesterday, but I did toss the booze and went to bed. I am going to meetings today and starting at square one again. I can do this, I know I can. Hugs to all.:praying
Old 10-20-2007, 05:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know you can do it too...:ghug2
Old 10-20-2007, 05:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can do it and goodluck. Welcome to SR, if the urge comes back that you want to use again go to a meeting, or if you cant make a meeting do something constuctive to get the urge to go away. Go for a walk, read, eat something, and also try to get a hobbie. Good luck you can do it.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome back! hugs, k
Old 10-20-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

My main DRUG was alcohol, yes it is a drug. Somehow people seem to put it in another catagory.

While going through severe back pain, eventually leading to sugury, I was given opiate based painkillers and they led me back to the booze.

I know many "drug addicts" who thought they could drink, and it led them right back to their drug of choice.

FWIW,

Ted
Old 10-20-2007, 10:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's not easy, is it......we want our cake and eat it too....

In my opinion, the "high" we get from artificial substances is not something the brain is used to...much more powerful and seductive than "natural" highs...which explains the rapid addiction.

You will not find anything that closely resembles/feels like that high "naturally" ( i.e., without the enhancement oif drugs").......can you live with that?

If so, you are ready for AA
Old 10-20-2007, 05:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi!
Welcome aboard! There are no A.A. meetings within a resonable distance from where I live so I use this forum in place of going to meetings. You'll find the people on here are really great and often have allot of good advice to share.
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck!