Language of Letting Go - October 18

Old 10-18-2007, 03:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - October 18

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Throwing Out the Rule Book

Many of us feel like we need a rulebook, a microscope, and a warranty to get through life. We feel uncertain, frightened. We want the security of knowing what's going to happen, and how we shall act.

We don't trust life or ourselves.

We don't trust the Plan.

We want to be in control.

"I've made terrible mistakes about my choices, mistakes that nearly destroyed me. Life has really shocked me. How can I trust myself? How can I trust life, and my instincts, after where I've been?" asked one woman.

It is understandable that we fear being crushed again, considering the way many of us were when we bottomed out on our codependency. We don't have to be fearful. We can trust our self, our path, and our instincts.

Yes, we want to avoid making the same mistakes again. We are not the same people we were yesterday or last year. We've learned, grown, changed. We did what we needed to do then. If we made a mistake, we cannot let that stop us from living and fully experiencing today.

We have arrived at the understanding that we needed our experiences - even our mistakes - to get to where we are today. Do we know that we needed our life to unfold exactly as it did to find ourselves, our Higher Power, and this new way of life? Or is part of us still calling our past a mistake?

We can let go of our past and trust ourselves now. We do not have to punish ourselves with our past. We don't need a rulebook, a microscope, a warranty. All we really need is a mirror. We can look into the mirror and say, "I trust you. No matter what happens, you can take care of yourself. And what happens will continue to be good, better than you think."

Today, I will stop clinging to the painful lessons of the past. I will open myself to the positive lessons today and tomorrow hold for me. I trust that I can and will take care of myself now. I trust that the Plan is good, even when I don't know what it is.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation
Old 10-18-2007, 03:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I trust that the Plan is good, even when I don't know what it is.
For me, this is a key element of my recovery, just trusting that even with its obstacles and struggles, the plan is good and I am being led. Faith, even blind faith, will see me through.

Hugs
Old 10-18-2007, 03:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i never thought i was good enough or smart enough but i always had to make my own decisions. i always had to be independent. i never had anyone to talk to or ask for advise.i made alot of mistakes in my life but today with my recovery i understand that it was all lesson & it has brought me where i am today. today i can look in the mirror without guilt & i have come to a point in my life that i can live life to its fullest & enjoy everyday. i have learned that no matter how bad things get there is a blessing in every day.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I have learned that no matter how bad things get there is a blessing in every day.
How true that is, Hope. Sometimes the blessings are strangely wrapped, but if we look closely they are always there.

Hugs
Old 10-18-2007, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[QUOTE][Today, I will stop clinging to the painful lessons of the past. I will open myself to the positive lessons today and tomorrow hold for me. I trust that I can and will take care of myself now. I trust that the Plan is good, even when I don't know what it is.
/QUOTE]

I need this tattoo'd on my arm!!!

susan
Old 10-18-2007, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Today, I will stop clinging to the painful lessons of the past. I will open myself to the positive lessons today and tomorrow hold for me. I trust that I can and will take care of myself now. I trust that the Plan is good, even when I don't know what it is.
This is where I am today. I am somewhere in the middle between clinging to the painful lessons and going forward with a new awareness. I am paying attention - perhaps too much so - to the lessons of my past so that when I am in a similar situation I can evaluate it with my new recovery filters. Perhaps, when faced with people-places-things that are unhealthy for me, I will make different choices now.... but today I am struggling with the balance. Am I being too cautious? Will a great person or opportunity slip away because I was afraid? I guess only time will tell.

Hugs
Cats