Notices

Determined newbie

Old 10-15-2007, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SauerKandiKiss

Red face Determined newbie

Ok well I found you all yesterday by a miracle

I'm 30 drinking since 17, obviously not as heavily as I have in recent months. I'm tired...

Of not remembering things
Of getting into verbal fights that hurt people I love
Of wasting my money rather than investing it
Of lying
Of sneaking around
I am ready to fully retire from this worthless full time job I've carried on my shoulders for years. It's time to grow up accept I have a problem and do something about it! So any words of support are greatly appreciated and new friends are always nice!
Much luck and love to all, besides it's just for today right?
Old 10-15-2007, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you made a wise decision..
Welcome to SR!
Old 10-15-2007, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We're glad to have you. Lots of stuff here. I have to warn you. I'm not too easy on those who relapse.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SauerKandiKiss

Talking

Good I'll stick near you then!!!! Thanks
Old 10-15-2007, 05:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

I found this place by way of a miracle too and I love it. It's my lifeline.

I'm glad you made the decision to stop drinking and I know what a huge weight will be lifted off your shoulders.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Usually as soon as the pain and memories go away, complacency sets in. I suggest meeting after meeting after meeting. As many as it takes to keep you reminded of the fact that you have a desire and a reason to quit. I make no less than 3 a week and am headed to one in a few minutes.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. Giving up drinking, and the lifestyle that went along with it, was the best thing I could have ever done. My best to you. Stick around!
Old 10-15-2007, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi and welcome!

Karen
Old 10-15-2007, 06:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats. The hardest thing is to admit to yourself that there is a problem. I know it was for me. I have been sober now for almost 50 days again. Keep up your guns. It will be hard but if you are ready to do the work it will work. Stay in touch I feel your pain and behind you. You are doing the right thing. Good Luck
Old 10-15-2007, 06:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SauerKandiKiss View Post
Ok well I found you all yesterday by a miracle

I'm 30 drinking since 17, obviously not as heavily as I have in recent months. I'm tired...

Of not remembering things
Of getting into verbal fights that hurt people I love
Of wasting my money rather than investing it
Of lying
Of sneaking around
I am ready to fully retire from this worthless full time job I've carried on my shoulders for years. It's time to grow up accept I have a problem and do something about it! So any words of support are greatly appreciated and new friends are always nice!
Much luck and love to all, besides it's just for today right?
accepting you have a problem is your first step to freedom get the help you need and keep posting at the forum.

Your friend

Sneakers,
Old 10-15-2007, 06:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Retirement sounds awesome. In every sense of the word

Welcome, btw, and keep posting.

You CAN do anything you REALLY WANT TO DO.

Assuming you really want to stop drinking, mind if I enquire as to HOW you plan to accomplish the feat of both quitting, and living sober? Do you have a plan, a program, some instructions, a guidebook, roadmap, or anything of the kind?

Cause if you don't ... you're gonna need one or more of the aforementioned, I can promise you that.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SauerKandiKiss

plan

well I've obviously tried un sucessfully before so i took a serious plan of attack. I have moved in with my family and also have distanced myself from all my drinking friends i have changed my cell number so only certain people can call me (everyone knows my email or myspace if they want to see how i'm doing) i have weekly meetings i am going with a friend of mine who has been clean for over a year (she'll keep me in check) I've officially cut all my ties to any former restaurant employers who want me back (former flair bartender) and will be focusing my energy on a new job with a steady income and I've also started painting and playing tennis again, oh yeah and of course I have all you to help support me too!!!
Old 10-15-2007, 07:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hey Sauer - sounds like a good plan - hope it works. i know i feel much better when i get to spend time with my family!
Old 10-15-2007, 08:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats, SKK, you are definitely on the right track. I'm assuming by 'meeting' you are referring to some type of recovery/sobriety program that are attending with your clean friend? Your plan sounds like a good START. However, if I may be so bold as to say: "Turn the word weekly into daily" ... and then I will join you in calling it a 'serious plan'. U feel me?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Power of Positive Thinking!

Your on the right track. Keep a positive attitude. Get the Big Book and start reading it. Just remember that it's not an easy thing to do. Temptation is everywhere. Most everyone I know and talk to struggle to some degree everyday. I, personnally, have to think about my soberity everyday. What I need to do, what rewards I have for not drinking or using, and the consequences if I relapse. I'm happy today. And today is all I have.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome SKK,

Was glad to read your list....a good start to admitting you want help. Remember, there is a "Pink Cloud" for some in the beginning and then the real world of staying sober can hit you right in the face. For me, it took a meeting every night for one year until I knew I could trust myself to not pick up the first drink. I avoided slippery places and being home at the time I drank at home. I got a sponser, the big book and started working the program of AA. That was 19 years ago....I am still sober today and very proud of it but yet I still am only that one drink away from a drunk that might end up with me being in jail or dead. I took this program seriously & wanted to be sober more than anything else in my life. I drank for 24 years and still have not been sober that long yet. Keep posting. Everyone wants to help.

Good Luck,

kelsh
Old 10-15-2007, 09:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SauerKandiKiss

Sorry on day 3 withdrawl......

Originally Posted by SauerKandiKiss View Post
i have weekly meetings i am going with a friend of mine who has been clean for over a year (she'll keep me in check):
I ment meetingS she has a few different places that host different ones ( I like the idea that I can meet people all over town)

This is the first time I have secured support team at arms reach so I'm very positive that I can do it.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
simplysober

welcome to SR! there are so many nice people here! you CAN do this!!!!!

hugs
maria
Old 10-15-2007, 11:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

SKK - i'm glad you went to a meeting. im still in the process of finding one that like and will continue to go to. you can do it though!
Old 10-16-2007, 07:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...

So glad you found us...Keep posting...