Hello (again)

Old 10-12-2007, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Royalty

Hello (again)

I haven't been here for a few months...so I thought I would say HI!

I see nothing changes, but the names...same stories, more people. Nothing has really changed in my life either. I stopped reading every day, because it was consuming me. Not only was my life out of control, I felt for everyone else here too...I can only handle one A at a time

We finally made it through our son's birthday without any alcohol! A holiday first with my AH and his father. I am not the favorite daughter-in-law now <haha>. When my FIL came over, my AH (already been told no beer for a kids party) asked his Dad if he could get him "pop, water, ice tea?" and clear across the yard I could hear "I WANT a BEER!" AH (gutless) says "talk to the wife" and it was left at that. FIL didn't speak to me entire day, nor did he get out of his chair, and then left early. Oh well. That was my first major boundary, and I dared anyone to step over it, or even near it!

AH has been drinking "less" or probably just hiding it better. Don't really care. In general, we have been getting along better, and I just avoid him when he drinks.

I think what really made me come back, was our son, he turned five on the famous no-alcohol birthday. He recently said "It's much more fun when Dad isn't here" and another brilliant 5yr old moment "maybe I could get a new dad" (his older brother and sister have a different father, so not sure if this is related)....but just when I thought things were "OK", I get little wake-up calls like those. I have always believed that kids were smarter, and knew more than we give them credit, and this is just proof.

I have been entirely lazy all summer, and think it's time for me to find a job. Not any job, one that will pay the bills, if needed. Time to start working my plans, instead of just tossing them around in my head.

I'll check in more often
HQ
Old 10-12-2007, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Welcome back, HQ. Children are a blessing for many reasons, one of them being they speak the truth as they see it. They don't speak out of fear of change, fear of the unknown, or of making it on their own. Those things aren't a factor in their lives yet, so they don't cloud their thinking. They just speak the truth, plain and simple, and ask for what they need. Your son says he needs a new father. Do you need a new partner?

Perhaps it's a good reminder for us to quiet our minds, let go of our fears and self-doubts, and just follow our hearts when it comes to life-changing decisions. Life doesn't have to be complicated. We just choose to make it that way.

I've been trying to simplify my life lately and let go of the things that have been clouding my thinking or interfering with my serenity. Sometimes that means I have to let of the things and people that I love.

SoberRecovery can either suck the life out of you or lead you to a better way of thinking, a healthier way of interacting with others, and a better life. It's all in how you look at it.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey there HQ, and glad to have you back Please do come and go as you please, we're here to be of service I'm really glad you guys are doing better, and yes, kids do say it with fearless and rigorous honesty.

Pick a comfy spot on our virtual "couch" and settle in.

Mike
Old 10-12-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice to see you, HQ.