It finally arrived today......

Old 10-12-2007, 02:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It finally arrived today......

Quite some time ago I ordered a copy of Codependent No More through Ebay. I have been anticipating its arrival. I am so looking forward to reading it because it seems to be so highly recommended. Just my luck that it took so long to get here, got lost in the mail.

Can you believe that I want to actually hide that darn book. Can you believe that I am actually worried that my A will get upset if he sees it lying around on the coffee table or the night stand. OMG, what if he catches me reading it and asks me what it is???

What the heck is up with that??
Old 10-12-2007, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpgwoman View Post
What the heck is up with that??
I think you will find the answer to that question in the book.

L
Old 10-12-2007, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ICU

So true! Lol LaTeeDa!!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OMG!!! The elephant in the living room might have a torch shone on it!!!

Nice one, LTD.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

haha..I am re-reading a few books that I had covered with shelf paper,back-in-the-day!

One was "Getting Them Sober",so I figured why cause a ruckus....es[. since exAH was escalating in his anger and seemed to be heading toward violence.

Do what you think is best!
Old 10-12-2007, 02:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No worries, I was just a bit surprised at how ironic it was for those thoughts to cross my mind. If anything, it was good for a chuckle.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not a bad place to be....

Oh well how I remember those days!!!! Blah! I remember when I started journaling and my exAH read my journal and confronted me about it. He's gone now....and I can read whatever the heck I want and don't have to worry about him finding out anymore.....life is good!
Old 10-12-2007, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I started reading the book right after dinner tonight. By the time I reached the bottom of page 4 of the introduction, I was in tears. I couldn't believe that a woman whom I have never met was writing about me. For the first time in years I didn't feel alone anymore. I was no longer a freak.

So the next time my A tells me he thinks I have mental problems, I guess I can say no, I'm just codependant.

What an eye opener, and I've barely touched the surface.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bluebayou,

My EXh found one of my journals and read it. I thought I had it well hidden in the bookcase. He was very angry with some of the things written in it.

Now my husband(married to first husband again) gives me my space and would never read my journal if it was sitting in the livingroom.

I never thought to put different covers on the journals. That would have worked very good!

kelsh
Old 10-12-2007, 04:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

As for me, a recovering codie, I am amazed at the girations I went through to avoid a confrontation with my A.

I had given up me, my freedom of choice, I was living in fear.

Not today, I do what I want, I read what I want....no fear, just peace.

I now live in a wonderful space, mine!
Old 10-12-2007, 08:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Keepingmyjoy

wpg...thanks so much for your post! I bought the book 2 weeks ago, and for some reason I have put off cracking it open. I know I need it and I think maybe part of my fear was exactly what you said...should I read it in front of him? Thanks for posting...I really needed all these comments! Thanks everybody!
Old 10-12-2007, 08:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I feel sneaky when I am on this site and only do it when AH is not home. Silly, huh?

I have the Codependency book here and have not opened it. Not sure what I'm waiting for! Maybe I need to borrow your frying pan!
Old 10-12-2007, 08:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Keepingmyjoy

Hi Aquarian...not silly! Me too! I get on here when he is sleeping or not home too.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I continued reading that book for about an hour last night. There are other people's situations that you read about, all you have to do is change the name and I could be reading about myself.

My A did not say a word about the book at all. Odd. He did not even ask what I was reading. I was prepared for the worst, ready to defend myself at any moment. Fact is, I got so lost in reading it for a while, you would have probably had to check for my pulse from time to time. I could not put it down.

As for this site, he knows I come on here. As he sits downstairs getting breakfast for the children, I am a wee bit nervous. He is very angry about me posting here. He makes nasty comments about getting life changing information from a bunch of crazy people on the internet. The way I look at it, at least I'm doing something to try and improve my situation. You people have saved my sanity.

For those of you that have not opened that book yet, DO IT. You will be simply amazed, saddened and comforted all at the same time. You will not feel alone anymore.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ICU

Originally Posted by wpgwoman View Post
He is very angry about me posting here. He makes nasty comments about getting life changing information from a bunch of crazy people on the internet.
In my particular case, with the nature of the things I have shared here, I found it necessary to keep this place to myself.

If I had still been with my ex, it would have given him far too much ammunition to use against me. He was famous for using anything I had told him against me, to hurt me, to have 'more control'.

It's a personal decision for each of us as to whether or not we let people know that we post here.

I'm glad you're finding the book helpful wpgwoman! You might find yourself reading it over and over again. I'm always amazed the new insights I have found while re-reading it.