lost, trapped

Old 10-10-2007, 09:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

lost, trapped

I'm new here. I've never really been exposed to substance abuse until the last few years. My wife became addict to prescription pain meds in 2003. She had a family history of this with her father an alcoholic and mother a life long drug addict. Things got bad and I filed for divorce in March 2005. She swore that she would change, temporarily cleaned up and I believed her. More than anything I wanted the best for my young son and felt that I had the best chance to positively influence his life if I got back together with his mom - I was also scared of what she would bring into his life if I were not there 1/2 the time. We got back together and things were going great. We bought a house, had another baby. Now, about a month ago I find out she's back in the prescription meds, and most of them she is getting illegally through shady "friends".
I am at wits end. I cannot STAND her on the medications. She says I'm making a bigger deal about it than it is. I really have no one to talk about this and have no idea what to do next. Any pointers or advice welcome.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

((alpinex))

Welcome to SR. I'm glad you are here but sorry about the circumstances. Read, Read and then read some more. Educate yourself on addiction and co-dependance. Take one small step at a time. Sending prayers. Others will be along.

B
Old 10-10-2007, 10:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Ditto to what Frankly said - if you read other posts on here, you will find so many others dealing with pretty much the same situation, whether the addict be a spouse, child, or parent.

Hugs and prayers to you!

Amy
Old 10-10-2007, 10:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

You have begun at the right place. We understand your pain, anger, confusion, and fear. Many of us come here because we have addicts whom we love, but have let their addiction control our life. there are other's who are in your shoes and have little ones to worry about. Just know you are among friends. READ all the Stickys you find above the posts. You will learn a lot. You can begin to heal your life even if your wife is not ready to heal hers. You can learn how to begin to feel back in control of your life, with direction, purpose and peace. I am new at this too and am finding that this site and all its advice is on target, so listen. Especially the advice about going to a Nar-Anon or Al-anon meeting.
Prayers to you , your children and your wife.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. My heart goes out to you, for having to join us here. The one thing I can say is to take care of yourself and your son. Easier said than done. Please go to Nar-Anon or Al-Anon meetings, use the phone list they have if you need to speak to someone.
I am sending you hugs and prayers. Keep coming back and read as much as you can. If you need a place to vent or ask questions this is a wonderful place to do it.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sr. My son is a 22 year old pain medication addict. He is now in recovery for the 4th time. I couldn't stand him on the meds either. Grumpy, talking my ear off the next minute. They're just not themselves. My sons been clean for about 4 months, then started the vicious cycle all over again. Now he's rehabbing again. Hang in there for you and your son. Keep reading. Lots of good advice will come your way.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

staystrong,,,,, prayers for u and family..
Old 10-11-2007, 06:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

alpinex,
Hi there, I'm glad you found us.
Sorry about the circumstances surrounding your wife.
What helped me the most, besides coming here, and airing my concerns, was attending meetings.
It gave me strength, and let me live MY life, without obsessing about my 2 addict sons.

There are no easy answers when it comes to addiction, but you do have children you are responsible for, and IMO, would concentrate on what you feel is best for the children, which I'm sure you already are.

Sure wish sometimes we had a magic addiction Genie we could conjure up....

Hugs to you,