Notices

Good News Bad News

Old 10-10-2007, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'm a Pickle

Good News Bad News

Good news: I was sober for 8 days. Bad news: I drank last night. Bad News: Nothing *too* bad happened, but I drove drunk. Good News: I was drinking with my main "drinking buddy" and she said she will go to an AA meeting with me. Bad News: I feel really crappy about drinking. Good News: It was a reminder that I still want to be sober and will be going to an AA meeting. Bad News: Im tired and have a headache. Good News: 8 days is the longest I have been sober in the past year. Good news: This site still helps me a lot. Bad News: I still feel crappy about drinking. Good News: I dont have to do it again if I dont want to....
Old 10-10-2007, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is hard to quit, I understand how you feel. Relaspe is not a requirement for recovery. Take the lessons learn and go to meetings. In time it will get easier and good luck.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Ok. Pick yourself up and find an AA meeting TONIGHT.

Thank God you didn't hurt yourself or someone else. I used to drive drunk too. Of course, I never thought that I was in bad enough shape not to, though I was with my best drinking buddy when she got pulled over for DWI. I am thankful every day that I didn't hurt anyone when I did.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm a Pickle

I know, I completely agree. Thank God. I promised myself I would NEVER do that again... ugh.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Power of Positive Thinking!

I no longer hang with my drinking buddies. I may talk to them occasionally, but will not do anything with them. A couple have quit drinking and go to meetings. We sort of hang out once in a while. It's just too much of a temptation to go out drinking or using when I'm around them. I need to change my life - to change the things I can, me.

Perhaps, this is just my opinion, you may need to not be with your friend until you get about a month or more time in. If you want/need to talk to her, meet at a meeting together. The last thing you want is a DUI.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

All you can do is try again...

Big hugs

Karen
Old 10-10-2007, 12:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm a Pickle

Yeah - that might be a good idea. I hope I meet some new good friends at a meeting.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Keep at it Wiscgirl . Go to the meeting.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Forgive yourself!!! Don't let guilt shadow your desire to get sober...

You can do this...

Thinking of you...
Old 10-10-2007, 04:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by wiscgirl30 View Post
Good News: I dont have to do it again if I dont want to....
Right! You never have to feel this way again.

To thine own self be true
Old 10-10-2007, 04:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm a Pickle

Thanks guys and gals... For some reason I dont feel quite as guilty as I usually do. Perhaps it is because I didnt get as out of control as usual? Or maybe it is because it motivates me even more to not drink... I am lucky I didnt get as bad as usual, because it isnt hard. I still blacked out though, and so did my friend. It is NOT good. Im so glad I am here and coming back even after messing up. I know I am on the right road anyway...
Old 10-10-2007, 04:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
let it grow!

keep posting, wiscgirl - the honesty is good.

whether your friend decides he/she is ready for aa or not - try to make that thursday meeting this week? it could make a difference for you. and it sure won't hurt..

here's hoping the good news outweighs the bad.

hugs, k
Old 10-10-2007, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know, I completely agree. Thank God. I promised myself I would NEVER do that again... ugh.
I have been sober for 3 1/2 years. In that time, I met a guy that managed to get a good amount of sober time. He never got rid of his drinking friends. When asked about it, he said, "These are my friends, Im not going to abandon them just because I cant drink anymore". And he didnt. It seemed to be working just fine for him. So fine, in fact, that he used to bring up the fact that he was proof you dont need to get rid of drinking buddies and friends. It lasted for a while, too. Last Saturday, a mutual AA friend told me that he was out with those "friends" and picked up a second drunk driving, got his car impounded and says it isnt worth getting it out because the impound fee is more than the car is worth. I am not invincible. He was not invincible, and YOU are not invincible. This isnt his story. Its OUR story. Everybodies. This wont "maybe" happen to you. IT WILL happen. Most alcoholics drink almost everyday for the most part. Since we must get from place to place everyday, we also drive drunk everyday. The odds are so against someone going the rest of their lives ( or drinking lives ) without getting pulled over or in an accident that it is astronomical. You WILL get pulled over. You WILL get a DUI. You WILL kill someone or yourself. ONE of these things WILL happen to you. Or ALL of them. Thats how serious this is. Relapsing is forgivable, but, blaming drinking and driving on the disease just makes me angry.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm a Pickle

Im not blaming it on the disease. Im blaming it on my own stupidity. I appreciate your comment though. Im sorry that happened to your friend. Yes, I know I will get pulled over if I keep doing that or, worse, get in an accident and hurt someone. I personally think it is a good idea to probably get rid of my "drinking buddies." Well, I actually only have the one real drinking buddy and we both know we are bad news for each other. I want to make some new friends who do other things.

To Parent Recovers... Actually, I would rather go to AA alone at first. I told her I will go first tell her what I think about it. In fact, I dont really care if she ever goes, but I am glad that she sort of realizes she has a problem also. You are always so sweet to me...thank you..
Old 10-10-2007, 05:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
let it grow!

To Parent Recovers... Actually, I would rather go to AA alone at first. I told her I will go first tell her what I think about it. In fact, I dont really care if she ever goes, but I am glad that she sort of realizes she has a problem also. You are always so sweet to me...thank you..
you're welcome.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Power of Positive Thinking!

Breaking away from those I was accustom to and comfortable with was one of the hardest things for me to do. Most were upset with me. Some understood and were supportive. Others still hold resentments, but that's their problem. However, moving on without those friends was/is the best thing for me. I still talk to some of them occationally, but don't go out with them. If I did, I'm quite positive that I'll be where I was back then.

Perhaps after you stop seeing your friend, she'll realize the problem you both share. She may recognize what you are doing and why. Maybe she'll follow your example. And, who knows, after awhile you'll both be best non-drinking buddies. Wouldn't that be great?

After all, if you keep parting, drinking, driving when your drinking, blacking out... you may end up dead. And no one parties with the dead.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Do not give up, keep trying!

I need to change my life - to change the things I can, me.
Excellent, I have heard it said and for me it applies "Change I must. or die I will."

Good News: It was a reminder that I still want to be sober and will be going to an AA meeting.
It saved this old drunks butt, as already suggested, you need to take your self to the meeting and meet your friend there, one newcomer only equals one chance of wanting to get a drink after the meeting driving home alone, 2 newcomers doubles the chances!

In regards to driving drunk and saying you will never do it again........ hon I am sure you are just as sincere in that promise as I was........ if you continue to drink that sincerity will become just like mine and you will eventually start to drin and drive and drive drunk.

I am not proud of this at all, but I have driven so drunk that I had to close one eye to where there were only one set of lines on the road.