Migraine Drug May Treat Alcoholism

Old 10-09-2007, 07:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Migraine Drug May Treat Alcoholism

Topiramate, a drug currently used to treat migraines and seizures, may also help those with alcohol dependence.

But whether it will be used in clinical practice is another question.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Drugs/s...3708419&page=1
Old 10-09-2007, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Interesting.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Way cool.

'course, I remember when Valium was advertised to do exactly the same thing, and when that didn't work as advertised it was Librium, and then it was Antabuse.

I think it would be great if they found some pill that would cure the need for booze. However, what I really would like to see is a pill that would cure the need to be verbally abusive, to cheat on your spouse, to be irresponsible, to beat up your own kids, etc. etc.

The cheapest solution I have seen so far is plain old AA. Takes care of _all_ the stuff associated with drinking too much booze, and you don't have to cough up 20 bucks for the copay

Mike
Old 10-09-2007, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hmmmmm....my x is on an experimental drug for alcoholism....it is a once a month shot administered by his psychiatrist, along with other oral drugs to treat his mental illness's that have blossomed with the years of alcohol abuse.

i don't know the name of the drug, but for the first time ever, his mental illnesses are being treated along with his alcoholism......which means aa, twice a week counseling, once a month vocational rehab counseling, and once a month psych visit.

the drugs have calmed him down tremendously. the psych said that his mental illnesses were present long before his was an alcoholic, and he was using the alcohol to self-medicate when it became so unbearable to be in his own head.

so far, he is doing well. sober for over 90 days, and a totally differnt person....he's like almost "normal"....whatever that is. i have a feeling the calmness bothers him, though. calm is not normal for him. i sure hope and pray that this is the treatment that he has needed for so long.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, I take Topamax for migraines, and let me tell you, it's no picnic. Its nickname is "Dopamax" due to the cognitive side effects, like forgetting people's names, or words of certain things that you should know, etc. It really does help tame the migraines, though, or I wouldn't be taking it. I would hesitate to recommend it for someone using it for alcohol dependence or weight loss.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Speaking of migraines......I used to get migraines where the pain was intractable and I had to sit in a totally black room. They were not an indication of a more serious problem, they were the result of livng with an acoholic coke head. All I'm saying is that if you have any health issues such a migraines or high blood pressure, depression, ulcers, shortness of breath, insomnia, you tend to pick up everyone elses colds, sore throats, diarrhea, fevers or any other ache pain or aliment, do not underestimate the power of stress and being run down, being upset all the time, stressed or anxious. I think it's our bodies way of telling us that something has to change.
I think that for some there will be a magic bullet in the world of medication.
I am extremely interested in stem cell research with regard to alcoholism.
The pharmacuticals will fight tooth and nail against stem cell research because it is completely possible for me to imagine severed limbs being regrown, diabetes being obliterated, and there is really no end to the possiblities.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have a friend who takes Topamax for her epilepsy and her son takes it for bipolar disorder. Both do very well with it. But the side effects are such that its not to be prescribed lightly. None of the psychiatric drugs are.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The drug may not want to make you drink, but the reasons for the addiction would still be there, right? It's not going to cure those, and isn't that the whole problem in the first place? I dont' know, i'm just asking....and of course, from what i've learned, if the alcoholic doesn't want to stop, what's the point in the first place? I know if i told my AXBF about this, he would laugh in my face and ask me what the H i was telling HIM about it for! SIGH. Frustrating.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Certainly the drug would only be an aid. The real work has to come from the desire to change and fight the addiction from within the alcoholic.