Notices

If you were me...

Old 10-09-2007, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If you were me...

What would you do?

I'm sorry to the folks who visit this site often for my multiple posts. I've posted here before and even had 3 months of sobrieity after last Thanksgiving, I've since relapsed since being ****** p is easier than being sober, so I'm sorry for my multiple posts asking for help....
I'm a 23 year old alcoholic and drug addict who would like to get sober but just can't seem to manage. I drink around 12 beers a night and I do any pharmaceutical drug I can get. Mostly hydrocodone/oxycodone and any benzodiazepine I can get. I'm sick of being drunk, and the other drugs are just from bad judgement after intoxication.
Honestly, I'm lost. My GF of 6 years is going to leave since I'm usually too drunk to do anything fun. My parents are sick of my ****, yet my job is pretty good. I want to stop, yet the last time I went for help I was in the MHU for 3 days and spent a week in the hospital. This was last thanksgiving. The booze is my main problem since I usually get the other **** after getting drunk. So here's the question: since many of you folks have most likely been in my shoes, what would you do? You are me, and you know what you know about addiction....

Also- I am only 23, and many people have said not to worry. Can a 23 year old be an alcoholic?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
believer

Welcome back

I think it's really about the disease of addiction..It all depends where it has lead you...

There are more people of our age here at the forum..The sooner we stop the better, right? Addiction is an escalating disease..I post a lot too..I know what you mean..But this forum is about support, i guess that's what matters...to get through one day at a time..
Old 10-09-2007, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Karim View Post
Welcome back

I think it's really about the disease of addiction..It all depends where it has lead you...

There are more people of our age here at the forum..The sooner we stop the better, right? Addiction is an escalating disease..I post a lot too..I know what you mean..But this forum is about support, i guess that's what matters...to get through one day at a time..
It's lead me to panic when I don't have the $ for alcohol and cigs. I honestly just don't know where to go.

I called AA and I had a nice gentleman call me but he disappeared after one conversation. I could go back to the mental hospital but I know it tore my Dad up pretty good to see me there. If you were me, what would you do?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Go to AA and listen.
Many AA members are younger than you.

Welcome Back..
Old 10-09-2007, 05:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, a 23 year old can be an addict. Addiction doesn't discriminate as to age, sex, social standing or anything else. Addiction just is.

My suggestion is to talk to your dr. You need to find out if it's safe for you to stop drinking cold turkey. If the dr says it's okay, then we're here to support you. You will need to make other changes in your life in order to stop drinking. I had to change my routines and certain friends. It's not easy, but it's worth it. There will be some hard choices for you to make if you want to stay sober. But, it sounds like drinking is messing up your life. So, you can make a choice to have the life you want - a sober life.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
believer

Originally Posted by User_Name View Post
It's lead me to panic when I don't have the $ for alcohol and cigs. I honestly just don't know where to go.

I called AA and I had a nice gentleman call me but he disappeared after one conversation. I could go back to the mental hospital but I know it tore my Dad up pretty good to see me there. If you were me, what would you do?
I can't tell you..It's quite scary because i should check in a clinic by the end of the week..I still haven't decided..Because every case is different i think you need to analyze this and look inside and see what you feel is best..Just do the best for you...

We will be here..
Old 10-09-2007, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Is A Girl

Originally Posted by User_Name View Post
What would you do?

I'm sorry to the folks who visit this site often for my multiple posts. I've posted here before and even had 3 months of sobrieity after last Thanksgiving, I've since relapsed since being ****** p is easier than being sober, so I'm sorry for my multiple posts asking for help....
I'm a 23 year old alcoholic and drug addict who would like to get sober but just can't seem to manage. I drink around 12 beers a night and I do any pharmaceutical drug I can get. Mostly hydrocodone/oxycodone and any benzodiazepine I can get. I'm sick of being drunk, and the other drugs are just from bad judgement after intoxication.
Honestly, I'm lost. My GF of 6 years is going to leave since I'm usually too drunk to do anything fun. My parents are sick of my ****, yet my job is pretty good. I want to stop, yet the last time I went for help I was in the MHU for 3 days and spent a week in the hospital. This was last thanksgiving. The booze is my main problem since I usually get the other **** after getting drunk. So here's the question: since many of you folks have most likely been in my shoes, what would you do? You are me, and you know what you know about addiction....

Also- I am only 23, and many people have said not to worry. Can a 23 year old be an alcoholic?
well, i'm 17 and i am, so i think you can be. People who say you are too young to be an alcoholic are downplaying your problem, and thats not only unhelpful but patronising.

and me in your shoes?
just stop sraight out, cold turkey as it were. get anything drinking/drug related out of the house in one go and stay as busy as i can coz its when im alone or bored that i get the nagging need to drink.

Love,
Max x
Old 10-10-2007, 04:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Well,

I am first and foremost an alcoholic.

At some point I was given a benzo for a sleep disorder. I took them for a long time (small dose only at bedtime) before I had trouble.

Then I had major spinal problems, leading to fusion and titanium in spine and stuff.

Large amounts of Vicodin.

So there I was, over 2 years sober, and I ran out of pills. So I got a bottle just to 'tide me over' until my scripts were refilled.

I have found out since that the benzos hit most of the same receptors in the brain as booze and that the combination of benzos and booze can kill.

You may need to visit a detox, I don't know that a mental health unit is appropriate, but it is all that some hospitals have.

I would ask your Dr to find you an appropriate place to go.

Best wisher, Ted

BTW, post all you need to, that's why were here
Old 10-10-2007, 05:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Can a 23 year old be an alcoholic?
Well I was sitting right next to a 15 year old alcoholic last night in my AA meeting, what does that tell you? He is the youngest I know of first hand.

First things first, see your doctor and be totally honest with how much you drink and for how long.

Detoxing from alcohol can and does kill with out medical supervision, detoxing without seeing a doctor is not macho, it is suicidal/stupid.

You mentioned speaking to someone in AA, why not start going to meetings? The meetings are free and if you go to 90 or more meetings in 90 days and do not like it AA will refund your misery in full.

DO not try this alone, there are other support groups out there besides AA, if AA is not for you then check out other groups, always keep in mind though that AA will always be there waiting for you no matter what you do. AA saved my life and millions of others who worked the program.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I would attend a support group like AA.