Thanks and Farewell

Old 10-08-2007, 09:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thanks and Farewell

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone on this site, particularly those who have had very kind words.

It's interesting to me that whether online or at meetings, the attendance is overwhelmingly female, even when we know that addiction is an equal-opportunity affliction. Maybe it's just that fewer men seek help, who knows. But as many of you pointed out to me, men and women do, indeed, approach things differently and in an overwhelmingly female forum, I may just be a bit out of place.

It was never my intention to hurt anyone and I hope those who were affected by my comments can see their way clear to forgive. I think my "giving back" is better suited to face to face interaction which I will continue to pursue here in my local community.

God bless all of you and may you all find continued comfort in recovery!

LH
Old 10-08-2007, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hate to see you go, lh. please feel free to come back anytime.

we're ALL different...

hugs, k
Old 10-08-2007, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

(((LH)))
I hope you will reconsider. While I think you have a point in that the approach may be different, I for one appreciate your input, and appreciate a view from another window.
There is no right or wrong and very few straight lines, but we do our best.

Should you still choose to go, please know that I wish you all the best the world has to give.
(((Hugs)))
Cece
Old 10-08-2007, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope I can be as strong as you are lh, I've learned a lot from your posts.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

LH,

Good luck to you on your journey, and thank you for the kind words and creative ideas you have shared with me in your short time here. I always appreciate hearing the perspectives of the men on these forum boards, outnumbered though they may be!! Stop on by anytime there's something we can be doing to help...you can PM me any time.

Take care,
GL
Old 10-08-2007, 12:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LH,
Please take care of you. Everyone says/posts things that might hurt someone else, and we know you did not mean to hurt anyone. I too wish you will stay since you have given me another point of view. I also read your posts and get a lot out of them.
If you do leave please know that I will keep you in my prayers, good luck on your journey
Old 10-08-2007, 12:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, I have also wondered why this forum is mostly women....??

Anyway, I'm sure almost everyone including myself has offended someone at some point. I think it's a whole lot easier to do on an internet forum than in person.

I would urge you to stay, because in the words of Albert Einstein, "where all think alike no one thinks very much". I like to hear a different perspective. Even though I have at times I have been guilty of over-reacting and posting before thinking-but hey-we're all human.

but if you feel uncomfortable-remember there is a men's forum on SR, too.
Take care, Lisa
Old 10-08-2007, 12:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Drug Addiction Has No Mercy

Originally Posted by LearningHusband View Post
I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone on this site, particularly those who have had very kind words.

It's interesting to me that whether online or at meetings, the attendance is overwhelmingly female, even when we know that addiction is an equal-opportunity affliction. Maybe it's just that fewer men seek help, who knows. But as many of you pointed out to me, men and women do, indeed, approach things differently and in an overwhelmingly female forum, I may just be a bit out of place.

It was never my intention to hurt anyone and I hope those who were affected by my comments can see their way clear to forgive. I think my "giving back" is better suited to face to face interaction which I will continue to pursue here in my local community.

God bless all of you and may you all find continued comfort in recovery!

LH
Please reconsider .. I think you have a lot to offer as well as a lot you could gleen from here .. No need to go away .. remember YOU CAN'T PLEASE All OF THE PEOPLE ALL OF THE TIME ... diversity isn't a bad thing ...

I myself have posted things that offended some people .. I didn't mean for it too, but it did ... I really like this forum ... so I didn't go away .. I just have learned to try to a little more sensitive to others feelings when I post a hard core graphic that mirrors the truth about drug addiction - When I posted it I wasn't thinking about the parents on here that were hurting over their addicted child .. and I brought them face to face with a reality they didn't want or were not ready to see. I had to learn to think about how I would affect others ... It didn't mean I had to change being me ... I just had to learn to be sensitive to others feelings ... It was a good lesson for me ... and I could appreciate it.

******{Hugs}}}}}
Passion
Old 10-08-2007, 12:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wink

While I may not always agree w/ everyone in this forum, I like to hear all the opinions. I enjoy your thoughts and different ways of thinking and opinions help me decide things. I take what I want and leave the rest!
Old 10-08-2007, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

((LH))

I'm sorry to see you go. Everyone's contribution is different. We may not all agree on what the other thinks or says, but it is a cumulation of all opinions and experiences that makes each of our own recoveries so different. What may help one, in the form of perceived tough love, may offend another.

I was one of the ones that got angry about your post, I perseived it as hurtful and insensative. I know that was not your intent. I believe that your apology was heart felt and much appreciated. I myself have said things that I later regretted saying, we are human, we all make mistakes.

Your contribution here is valued. I hope you stay.

As far as the forum being mostly women, well, that just means that few men have not come to the realization that maybe they need help, pat yourself on the back for being one of the few that has found their self recovery. It says alot about you since you seem to in a minority status of the sexes here. If more men would follow your example, it would be a good thing.

Your input is valued, your contribution is of great help, if you decide not to stay, I wish you the best and send my prayers for you and yours.

B
Old 10-08-2007, 01:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

LH -- I really don't know you well but I hope you reconsider. I know you never meant to hurt anyone's feelings and you only meant well. We're all here for a reason.......we need each other.........none of is perfect, thank goodness! Stick around, some of us chicks are really funny!
Old 10-08-2007, 01:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hope you recondiser as well!! I like to hear a mans perspective...we are all free to take what we like and leave the rest.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Living in the light

LH, I too hope you will reconsider or perhaps come back at some time in the future.
Thank you for your perspective as a single Dad and for sharing your experience, strength and hope with us. You've helped many here.

We are all here for one reason. Our unity is our strength. Occasional differences, misunderstandings, conflicts, hurt feelings, do arise from time to time.
Nevertheless, there is no right or wrong and I believe the practice of tolerance and forgiveness is part of making progress in recovery. Progress not perfection is the goal.

Alanon's tradition One states: Our common welfare should come first, personal progress for the greatest number depends upon unity.

I wish you and yours all the best.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i love the guys here. it gives me their point of view to consider. stay if you will but do what you must.prayers,hope
Old 10-08-2007, 04:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I for one have not been here long. But I have always be thankful to you for your words of wisdom.. I am sorry that you feel you have to leave. Please take care of yourself and again thankyou for all of your input. It was greatly appreciated and much needed.

Jackie
Old 10-08-2007, 04:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

Ah
I thought this might be coming.
so sorry you feel you need to make this decision. But its yours to make. Like i said in my IM, We have to learn how to take what we need and leave the rest. Although we respond to posts with nothing but the best intentions, we are not responsible for the receivers reaction to it. Thats theirs. Easier said than done or we all wouldn't be in our own recovery.
Like everyone else said, I have appreciated your points of view and will miss them, so if you decide to slip back in great, but if not, prayers for your continued journey.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Perfection is not a requirement here, if it was I would have been booted long ago.

I have made mistakes, said things I wished I hadn't. I have been hurt by something someone else said. Sometimes a post touches my heart and sometimes it touches my last nerve.

But I stay. Why? Because recovery is teaching me to live life on life's terms and that includes imperfection and lots of it.

I hope you will reconsider, you have valuable input to share. If you step on toes, we will holler "ouch" just like when we step on toes ourselves.

We all have our differences, but instead of letting that divide us, let's embrace our diversity and walk together learning from each other.

The choice is yours to stay or go, just know that you are welcome here anytime.

Hugs
Old 10-08-2007, 05:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
krhea75

Hey LH,
Dont leave us! We learn from the diversity in this forum. Sometimes people **** me off, but usually they are right, and I just don't want to hear it. You said what you thought and that is valuable in itself.
krhea
Old 10-08-2007, 05:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Boy! Once you hit that Post Quick Reply button there is no taking it back. I've done that already and said "Yikes I hope I didn't come across the wrong way". I would never intentionally try to hurt anyone here. Afterall we all have enough hurt in our lives already. I understand that your intention was not to hurt anyone. Under your circumstances I think that thread hit a nerve with you because of your wife. I think most of us understand that. That poor girl is really not feeling well. The end result was a bad set of circumstances.

Think it over and maybe reconsider staying with us. It is good to have a guys input once in a while. We all enjoy Laketime.......he has helped a lot of us girls.

I personally don't get mad at the replys. I take what I want out of it and leave the rest. I don't sweat the small stuff, I have too many major things in my life to deal with. I won't create a problem that I don't need.

I wish you the best no matter what you decide to do.

Hugs............Lo
Old 10-09-2007, 04:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hope you reconsider an stay.