meeting in NY

Old 10-07-2007, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

meeting in NY

Hi,

I just moved to New York and I am not having very good luck finding nar anon meetings or anything of the sort for the friends and families of addicts. So far I have gone to 3 different meetings. The first it was only me and 2 other people, but still a decent meeting. The second, took 2 hours commuting and didn't really focus on addiction or recovery, just seemed a platform for unrelated stories, and there werre only 3 people there. My last attempt at a meeting I commuted an hour then when I got there someone in the building informed me no one has been coming to the meeting so the probably closed it down. The meeting was no more.
I am staying in brooklyn but willing to travel to any of the surrounding areas. I want to work on getting some peace and dealing with my reactions to my addicts behavior but I am having a hard time finding the support system here in NY. Any meetings suggestions?

thanks!

Last edited by zoekat; 10-07-2007 at 01:58 PM. Reason: misspelled
Old 10-07-2007, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you looked into Al anon? The basis is the same & there seems to be alot more al anon than na ranon. There is only one naranon that is about 45 min from my house & is not on a day that I can make work for me. On the other hand, there are al anon meeting much closer to me almost every day of the week. By the way, welcome aboard. Hope to see you around here. It is a great place.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

zoe, I found it hard as well to find naranon meetings. But about 5 years ago I did attend alanon meetings in bayridge brooklyn. I would go to one on mondays in a church but it was only like 3 people and another that had a alot. I know alanon has them listed online.. try checking it out. What part of brooklyn are you in?
Old 10-07-2007, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks

I actually (momentarily lost hope in finding a good nar anon meeting in the area and out of desperation attended my first al-anon meeting this evening. I had been hesitant because (no offense) I have been dealing with a crack addict and I didn't think the things loved ones of alcoholics deal with could translate or even compare to the severity of such. The meeting turned out to be my favorite so far in NY and there was a room full of people. I got alot out of it, so I will be going back. Yay!

Thanks everyone for you suggests and links to meetings. I really appreciate it.

xx