1st meeting

Old 10-07-2007, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st meeting

I attended my 1st Alanon meeting today.
Just to listen to other people who are giong throught the same thing as I am. The caring that was offered to the folks that told their stories was so real.
The fear,anger and self doubt they spoke of was so real for me. What did I do wrong, will she kill her self with her habit anger at her for using us each time we helped.

Today is Sunday, I last saw my daughter on Weds, I told her on Thurs that she must find a rehab or find some place other then my home to live at. We know she is staying at a friends. She hasn't call us. We are changing the locks and working on getting our family back in order.
God how it hurts, but I will be strong this time.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I wish you were here under more positive circumstances. You will find much needed support here. I am sorry that you are experiencing the shared pain of families with the disease of addiction. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and to all of our family members.

(((sheisanaddict)))
Old 10-07-2007, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sorry for you pain. It is a hard hurtful road when an addict is close to us. wish you strength!! Hugs.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm susan, mother of an AD currently in a sober living home.

It is hell! But sounds like you are setting boundries and doing what is healthy. THe hardest part is realizing we can't love them enough or fix them! Then, letting go is hard, but we really have to concentrate on us as we are the only ones we have any control over!

Prayers for your family and your AD,
susan
Old 10-07-2007, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

Welcome to sr. I'm Linda and my son is my addict. He's 25.
He no longer lives with me. He's currently not using illegal drugs.
He's taking seraquil as a sleep aid from his doctor.
He's suppose to be seeing a psychiatrist soon concerning his mental state.
He thinks he's bi-polar and from what I know of the disorder, he's all that
and a bag o' chips. We're still pretty close. Hey! I'm a codie. lol
I'm glad your here to share and get support.
Sending you hugs and prayers,

p.s. keep coming back
Old 10-07-2007, 07:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

Hi "Sheis"

It is VERY hard to let go and trust your decisions. You are doing the right thing. I have an AS. I recently posted how I haven't talked to him in a week because i also didn't give him the answer he wanted. It hurts so much. I think as Mom's its even harder to let go. It goes against every fiber of our being. Its through faith and wanting so much better for them that we keep strong. What helps me, ( and believe me i have to do this many times a day) is I picture God walking beside my son even when he is surrounded by bad stuff. Sometimes in my mind he is even holding him. It helps me to remember that i have given my son over to his care. You are in my prayers tonight.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome - I'm so sorry for the pain you are going through...it's very very hard, but sticking to your boundaries will be good for all of you. I'm very glad you found a meeting. I found coming here and going to Naranon helped me through the worst of my daughter's addiction. I still find this a wonderful place to be with people who understand, and I have found understanding and friendship in my home group. It's really helped me find a better way. Hugs and prayers for you and your family
Old 10-07-2007, 08:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sheis,
I know it hurts like hell. I felt like I was living in a nightmare. I just thought this can't be happening. It has taken me a long time to feel better, and just when I did I had the rug pulled out from under me. I keep my expectations low and I do things for myself that make me feel good. I don't have this codie thing mastered by any means. I am a slow learner when it come to this. I work at it all of the time and sometimes I get tired of working at it. There are days that I just can't handle any of this addiction crap. I want to be set free from all of it. I know that I can't be and that is where the resentment comes in. I have a lot of work to do. Some of the mom's on here really have this thing mastered. All I can say is do not give up.
My daughter is really doing well today and now I can call her my RAD and that feels pretty d**n good.

Hugs..........Lo
Old 10-08-2007, 02:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sheis --

I admire your strength for attending the meetings and for dealing with such a heavy issue with so much clarity.
I couldn't imagine how it feels to allow a son or daughter to "find their own way" especially in these situations. My heart goes out to all parents.

The meetings are a lifesaver for me. It feels safe in those rooms to be able to say whatever I need to say, to have others listen to me without an immediate response that includes a string of "shoulds." For me it doesn't matter WHAT the relating situation is between me and others in the room, it's the fact that they too are seeking relief from emotional pain and that they are also feeling unsure and disconnected from who they are.

Glad you are here.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, my addict is my 20 yr old son. He went to a sober living home after a short stint in jail. He moved out with a guy from his NA meetings about a month ago. Hes currently laid off and looking but I have a gut feeling something's up. He knows we won't support him if he's using so were just praying he's not. However, in the past my gut feelings have usually been right. Well see. Set boundaries you can live with maybe small ones at first, the most important thing is no matter how small or large , stick to them.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome to S.R. there is alot of parents here. my son is my addict.i am glad you are going to meetings. it will save you a lot of hurt going & learning your recovery.keep coming back. we r here.prayers for you & your daughter.