My dilemma of the day

Old 10-06-2007, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My dilemma of the day

Hi All,
Well, it's been one of those days. I got a knock on my front door today, there was a nice looking guy, necktie, etc, at my door looking for ah. I gave him the usual he doesn't live here anymore, no, I don't know where he is, no I have no phone number. Come to find out, he had found ah's wallet on the side of the road. Since I don't want to find ah, but think my fil will see him next week, I told the guy I would give it to fil annd he agreed. Ah has lost his business, it was auctioned off last week, for, in these great economic times, about one quarter, or less, of its real value. Fil is helping ah with all the details. By the way, my son, who was here at the time the guy showed up, thought he was a cop.
So, codie that I am, I check what's in the wallet. His liscense, agf's id card, $22, a couple of receipts, a blank check ( don't even want to go there ) and of course, a small, round metal screen.
So, here I am, glaring at the agf's picture. All I wanted to do was cut that card up into about a zillion pieces, along with ah's liscense, thinking ha, ha!! Now you need to go through the hassle to get a new one, along with shelling out more money. I wanted to rip up the check and then take myself out to a $22 dinner. Ah's picture on the license was what got to me, I looked at that and said what the hell happened to my husband??? He looks so old, and so sick, really seeing that made me so sad.
So tomorrow morning I will drop off the wallet to my father in law, in tact. And I'll be praying that ah will find a better path soon, along with all of our addicts. Don't know if returning the wallet is the " correct " codie thing to do, but it's all I can live with for now.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That must have been hard...so many emotions at once. Seeing her face; seeing what addiction has done to him physically; knowing that nothing has really changed...

I'm sorry you had to go through this, but don't beat yourself up about returning it. I think the "correct" thing is the thing you can live with, no matter what that is. And from my perspective, returning it in tact is a kind thing to do. You have so much compassion and love....and that is all good!

I hope the sadness doesn't visit too long and tomorrow is a brighter day. Praying for your husband and all those addicts who still need to find the light. Hugs
Old 10-07-2007, 10:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think you did the right thing, you would return a strangers wallet right?
Old 10-07-2007, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

Aww shucks ((MJ))! Just when we are sort of ok and getting used to not seeing them around something like this happens and stirs up all those emotions all over again.

I remember getting to a point where I was "good" not seeing the exabf and all of the sudden I'm driving through town and there he is. And of course I got an instant lump in my stomach and felt my heart breaking all over again.

I'm sorry you had to go through this. Personally I would have gone through the wallet too if that makes you feel any better. I don't know that it's so much codie like more than it is just curiosity. I also have to admit .......myself......would have taken the cash, tore up the blank check and destroyed the AGF's ID, or just thrown the whole darn thing in the trash and pretended like I never saw it..........just for spite I suppose.......which is COMPLETELY wrong and so un-recovery like........sigh.........but as I played out the scenario in my head I saw me........ I suppose I still have a little work to do on my recovery lol.

You're a sweetheart MJ.......and you're doing the right thing by returning the wallet to your father-in-law in tact. As many wrongs that have been done to you, you are handling this with such grace.

I pray tomorrow is a better day and this sadness will pass just as quickly as it was brought on. I'll be thinking about you and you're always in my prayers. Hang in there honey!
Old 10-07-2007, 06:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

((((((((mj)))))))))
Old 10-07-2007, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

I would look at the picture in the wallet and say to myself," There but for the Grace of God go I". You're not in the wallet and this is a good thing! I know it still hurts because you remember when. ... You did do good though!
Old 10-08-2007, 11:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

wallet

For what its worth, I would have looked in the wallet, too. Curiousity always gets the best of me!

But now for the bigger question - what happened to the good looking, kind-hearted guy at the door who went out of his way to return the wallet?? Hopefully you got his number!

(I hope you don't find this inappropriate - was just trying to have a light moment among all this darkness!)