Notices

Help with depression

Old 10-06-2007, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help with depression

I am seeking information about depression: Most of the information I have found is about being happy then sad. What about starting at sad and getting sadder? I recently started seeing a LMHC who specializes in ACOA'S.

I would love to hear from someone who can help me understand this.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2007, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There's all sorts of depression: chronic depression for no reason, depression that's caused by a traumatic event, depression that's simply congenital, etc.

Has something happened recently (death in the family, etc)? Are you unhappy with your job or marriage? Do other members of your family suffer from depression?

Have you had a physical, including a thyroid test? An underactive thyroid can cause depression.

I don't know what a "LMHC" is, but I'll assume it's a therapist of some sort. If you see a therapist for a length of time, and don't feel that it's working out, don't be afraid to find another.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am not sure if you mean you've always been depressed? I began to experience depression as a young child and I do understand what you mean. It took me forever to get it diagnosed and treated properly, but for me meds work very well. They help to level the playing field.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

There is such a thing as double depression. I think that is what I have. This happens when someone suffers from dysthymia, a form of mild but very long term depression. The sufferer can then go on to develop severe clinical depression. When the severe depression goes, the dysthymia is still there.

I think that I've always suffered from dysthymia - even as a small child I've been quite unhappy. I've suffered several bouts of severe depression over the years, and even when I feel much better, I never feel 'happy' or 'normal'.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My depression went untreated for many years despite numerous admissions to treatment centers for my alcoholism. This last time I went through Detox I finally saw a Dr. who recommended me to a Psychiatrist for " Medical Management" . That was 43 days ago and I've been sober ever since and have never felt better in my life!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 09:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear you're battling depression. I know how difficult that can be.

The best advice I can offer is to be as proactive as possible. Depression can be caused by sooooo many different things, and take countless forms. What you did now was great - asking for info, exploring your options. Unfortunately, I don't know off the top of my head any good referral info to answer your question. But I can say that the key to finding help is to be open and honest when evaluating how you feel. I admitted to having depression, but withheld some feelings because I thought it made me sound crazy. Eventually I found a therapist who helped me cut through the garbage, and we determined I was actually bipolar. Not that I'm saying this is the case with you, in fact what you describe sounds quite different. But I'm certainly no therapist, and have NO business offering any kind of diagnosis!)

Only a professional can help you make that final diagnosis, and help you through the perils and pitfalls of finding your answers. The bad news is that it often takes a long time to find effective treatment options. The good news is that you don't have to lose hope. I tried a dozen different therapists and quite a few medications, and had all but given up hope. Then I found the option that worked for ME, and it made a huge difference in my life. (In my case, it was a combo of an SNRI plus an off-label anticonvulsant that prevented my SNRI from launching me into hypomania.) There are many avenues to explore, so don't give up hope if "at first you don't succeed". Keep reading, asking and learning, and I'll be wishing you the best!

PS: Ever notice how they call depression "the blues"? Think of it this way: There's millions of shades of blue out there. You might be navy, while I'm aqua. We're all blue, but not all the same shade. What works for me might not work for you... but something will. Keep searching, and you will find it!
Old 10-06-2007, 09:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i think the above people offered some great advice. i know how it feels to be depressed, how sapped of energy and how hopeless it feels. i thought i was going crazy and decided to burn my bridges. while i was depressed, i thought i would never be able to feel good again.

that was 10 years ago. what helped me was therapy and medication. thats the most effective combination out there, according to studies. the medication takes a few weeks, and the therapy helps you to cope. there is light at the end of the tunnel, but you have to push yourself.

also, dont get attached to your depression. i know i was afraid to 'fix' my illness because i thought that was who i was. i thought my depressed state defined me. that's how damaged i felt. looking back, it's hard for me to admit that i ever got to that point, but that's how debilitating severe depression can be.

keep posting, wishing you the best.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm also acoa, getting clean and sober is a good start in battling depression.
Even if i needed medical or medication. it still wouldn't work if i mix it with
alcohol.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi,

I have heard it, read it, that alcoholics are prone to depression...Our brains are much different than the quote "normal" folks...

Come to think of it, I was also depressed as a young child...

When we become active in alcoholism, the depression is ten-fold...Alcohol is a depressent...
Old 10-08-2007, 09:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
let it grow!

no experience to share really, truman. just wanted to welcome you! blessings, k