OT sort of but so neat

Old 10-06-2007, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Smile OT sort of but so neat

Well, off topic of addiction, but not of the presence of a higher power in our lives and how "as we give to the world, so the world will give to us."

The story in a nutshell, since I do the gym a lot and run, I was given a really nice MP3 player (won't mention brands here) as a gift about 5 months ago. I really love it and it is so slim and light that I put it through the wash recently It only worked after drying out a few days if I had it plugged into an outlet, so I found a replacement on an auction and bought it. It just came yesterday, but it seemed like it may have been a knock off and it wasn't recognized by my PC. The accessories worked fine but not the player. I emailed the seller, who had been very responsive earlier and sent the item in less than 12 hours and asked if he had any suggestions. I told him I was appreciative of his professionalism and responsiveness and was not certain if it was a defect in the product or my technical skills. Long story short, he presented options, I opted to return it for a refund. Instead he told me he had already credited my account in full (I looked; he had) and I should throw the unit away or if I was able to get it going, "consider it a gift from a friend." Wow...you don't find people like that in business too often.

And....while trying to get this unit to start, I messed with some resettings and other things on my soggy unit and 5 minutes ago...it worked!

I used to consider things like that good luck...Now I consider it my HP's way of reminding me of all the goodness in the world. When I treat others as I would want to be treated, they often return it in kind. I'm so grateful for the big and small wonders in my life!
Old 10-06-2007, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the inspirational post!
I had a little moment yesterday that I, too, considered a gift from my HP. I was discussing a student with a coworker, and we ended up having a nice conversation about books we'd read, etc. This is a guy I've known very casually for a few years, and who I've really never had a personal conversation with. We've certainly never discussed my problems with XAH.
I left his classroom and started on my way back to my resource room, and I heard him calling me. I turned to see him running up behind me, and I figured he had just forgotten to give me some info on the student.
He gave me the nicest smaile and said "I wanted to make sure to wish you a great long weekend. You deserve it."
That was it. He turned and walked back to his room, and I was amazed/thrilled/overjoyed that someone took the time to make sure they wished me a great weekend.
For some, no big deal. But for me, in the midst of dealing with more chaos born of addiction, a little message from my HP, via a coworker, that words can work miracles!
Old 10-06-2007, 10:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

Yesterday I too had a HP moment,
I hadn't really shared my probs. with my co-workers for all the typical reasons, even my grade level partner, but yesterday we had a after work first payday party ( you have to be a teacher to understand that many of us go a few summer months w/o a check) and she asked as many before her had how was my son and husband? Well I told her, but instead I focused my my recovery and how I was doing. she said she was amazed not because all this was happening to me, not that I didn't tell her before this, but that she had noticed something different about me, and she would have never guessed it was something negative. She described it as I seemed to glow shiny like, she had been wanting to know what I was using on my face or what I was doing different. I told her i doubt it was the many sleepless nights, and the worry I still felt, but it was the program I have been working. Its bringing me some peace. I think its because for the first time in all of this I am beginning to believe I am not alone. My HP is walking by me and in me.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
rozied

Thanks so much for sharing all the uplifting stories.
I had to post as I lived life without a HP from the age of 5 until I was 27, then I found my faith & I now don't know how I lived without it. No matter how bad life gets & sometimes it gets real bad I never feel alone or without hope anymore.
Just wanted to share that.
Diane
Old 10-06-2007, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
On a tear

Anne Marie - what a wonderful post! You really made my day.

Enjoy yours.

((((BigHugs))))!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

That IS a Great story, and no you don't usually hear stories like that esp. on auction sites, lol. I'm really happy for you. It's nice how if we take a bad situation and go with it, it can turn into a good situation eh. I recently experienced something like that, that led me to spending the night at Frank Sinatra's mansion the other night, lol, long story, but it was an amazing night, that all stemmed from a really a bad incident originally. LOL.
Thanks for sharing!!!
So what color is your IPOD? LOL.. I have the blue and the silver one, but I wanted the Pink one! lol
Old 10-06-2007, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes it is definitly a warm & fuzzy feeling when something nice like that happens unexpectidley. That happened to my RAD & her fiance over the summer. I did a post on it, but the gift keeps givieng. Mikaela & Josh were at the Buffalo Bills store on Josh's b day exchanging a sweatshirt. A couple came over to Josh & started asking him Bills questions. He answered all of them & it ended up being on of the players parents. They invited Josh & Mikaela to the Buffalo Bills camp & to hang out in the VIP tent & hang with the players. It was a dream come true for Josh. He was even in a little blurb on our local news with such a grin on his face..like he was in heaven. Well Mikaela & Josh just adore the parents (I'm not going to name the player..but he's awesome). So they were at the Bills/Jets game & met up with the parents again & Josh got to bring his little brother around to meet the players. Then just a couple days ago they got a call that there were a few extra tickets available & would they like to come hang out again on this monday Bills/Dallas ? They are all really enjoing each other. These people didn't klnow the kids from a hole in the ground & have given them memories of a lifetime.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your stories of feeling those HP moments...I just get so excited about them...Had you told me that a few years ago, I would have laughed.

He gave me the nicest smaile and said "I wanted to make sure to wish you a great long weekend. You deserve it."
Jude, Moments like that make me cry...happy tears! What a beautiful act.

she had noticed something different about me, and she would have never guessed it was something negative.
Cece...I think we sometimes don't realize how much the pain shows in our face...I remember someone commenting early in my daughter's addiction...as if she knew, (and I think she did) when she saw me in an ER with my daughter. Finding program does give us peace...Even in the worst hours, when I spoke at my daughter's funeral, a close friend told me that there was almost an aura of serenity surrounding me. I know it was my HP.

I never feel alone or without hope anymore.
Diane, I know you have been through so much with your sons and your first marriage...I'm so glad you have HP to walk with you and that you are with us too!

You really made my day.
Big Sis, I'm glad...You've helped me more than you will ever know.

So what color is your IPOD? LOL.. I have the blue and the silver one, but I wanted the Pink one! lol
Blue to match my eyes I can't believe you don't have a pink one!!! I have to hear your Frank Sinatra's mansion story sometime, sweetie - sounds pretty cool.

These people didn't klnow the kids from a hole in the ground & have given them memories of a lifetime.
Helpus, I must have been traveling and missed it when you posted about this earlier...wow! What an awesome gift...and as you said, one that keeps on giving. Hugs to Josh and your RAD...and you too of course!
Old 10-06-2007, 06:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

It really takes us back when someone does something like this. I had a similer experience with an auction, only it was a jewelry box. When it arrived somewhat beaten up, he refunded me, and I kept the box.
I felt really good about that person.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The best part of all this is that we have the power to do the same sorts of things to make someone else's day! I work with kids, some who are troubled, and try to keep in mind that what I say and how I act toward them can impact their lives enormously. Reading these posts reminds me that the same holds true when dealing with adults. You never know what someone else is going through, and maybe a kind word or action from us could mean all the difference in the world to them. I'm going to try to pass the gift from my HP on this week!
Old 10-07-2007, 04:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

FWIW and for anyone with electronic stuff:

We run into the "Digital Camera got soaked" issue a LOT in the photo business. the recommended thing to do if your electronic device gets soaked is to turn it off, remove the batteries and dry it by hand as best as possible. Next, put it on a shelf in a dry place for a week and then put it in a plastic bag for two weeks with sone of those silica packs that soak up moisture (the kind it got shipped with if it was new).

Take it out of the pack after two weeks and put it back on the shelf for another week.

Now, after one month, put the batteries in it and turn it on and try it.

About 98% of the time if is fine and life goes on. These electronic things are tougher than you might think.

This has worked for many digital cameras including the one our secretary's 3YO Grand Daughter tossed in the toilet and then said to Daddy, "Uh Oh...."
Old 10-07-2007, 05:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

h yeah.. and having a strong HP (in addition to the silica packs) never hurts!!!