Methadone question...

Old 10-02-2007, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Methadone question...

What do you all know about Methadone? My step son has been on this for almost 5 years now. Why is the State allowing him to be on this for so long should he not be off of it now? The lawyer is pulling his drug tests. She will be calling us to let us know if he has tested positive for anything over the last 3 years. She said if he has tested positive she will insist he be pulled from the Methadone program and placed in live in rehab. She said it was time to put the pressure on him. When I see him he looks stoned. His teeth because he has been on it so long are black. It is really terrible. Just wondering if anyone knows the norm and what experiences you all have had around this.

-Broken
Old 10-02-2007, 11:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My son was prescribed 140 mgs a day. 14 10 mg. tablets a day. He crushed them and snorted them. My daughter was also addicted to methadone. My grandson was born addicted to methadone. I don't have anything good to say about it.
Maybe some people can use them in a responsible way, but an addict will abuse them. The same doctor prescribed for both son and daughter for chronic pain. Well they definately felt no pain when they were high. The pain came when they were not.
Trish
Old 10-02-2007, 12:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am not sure how much he takes to be honest. I know it is liquid. He gets it from the State Clinic. Of course he can test positive for weed but he can not test positive for opiates or he gets kicked out of the program. They have tried to ween him in the past but he gets sick and they just increase his dose. I asked him a few weeks ago what he will do when he is asked by the court to stop taking it. He said no...I can't. I get sick...deathly ill. I will just use whatever I can then. I asked him about weed and he said sure I do it...everyone does. I said I don't. (Of course I can say anything...I am just his step mom. He would never talk to dad about any of it.)

Thanks for the feed back.

_Broken
Old 10-02-2007, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My AD tried suboxone for 2 days, hated it. She said she wouldn't take either as she had know too many who had to detox off it and supposedly it is worse--according to her!
Old 10-02-2007, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My ah hs been on methadone a few times. I hate it. It is just another drug. It is just as hard for them to stop as the herion or pills are. They say you dont have cravings for drugs when your on methadone but, I couldnt tell...
They say you cant get high off of it. But, I dont know.
Just from what I know it would be better just to kick the habit then start a different one.
HUGS>>>>>
Old 10-02-2007, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The doctor that prescribed to my son and daughter is no longer allowed to practise after several incidents that involved very young patients here.
That meant son and daughter were out of luck and addicted to methadone. No other doctors were willing to take them (and many others) on as patients. They were left to scramble about on the streets to buy what ever they could at great price.
I'm sure all this helped kill my son's will to live.
Daughter is still scrambling with her scummy bf.
Trish
Old 10-02-2007, 12:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((((((((((trish))))))))))))
Old 10-02-2007, 12:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Jerzy007

Methadone helped me kick my heroin habit but i experienced a more painful withrdrawal from it then the i would have with the opiate. I feel like it is worse than it also(bad for your bones and teeth) but for some reason the government thinks otherwise. Anyway, this last time I detoxed with suboxone and found that it was way easier to stop taking with less side effects than methadone. I beleive that subutex may help him with the withdrawal's from the methadone until a doctor oks him to take suboxone. But do not take suboxone while methadone is still in your system or he will get soo sick!! Im speak from experience and surely aint no doctor
Old 10-02-2007, 12:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Clonidine has also been shown to decrease the brain receptors that crave. I know they use it in detox, and some private MD's will prescribe.

susan
Old 10-03-2007, 08:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My father has been on this stuff for years (methadone) and it's changed his life (and my families).

He's now able to function like a responsible, normal, productive person. He's become a father to my brother and I again and he's held down a fantastic job since he's been taking it. He's happy and our family is happy and we're finally able to sit down and have long talks about his addiction and we've really healed a lot.

I do think it would be better for him to not have to rely on this stuff....but it's changed his life so much that I'd rather he was taking this and able to function and be a good father and responsible person than have him actively using heroin like he was before.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

brokenbridges,

My brother in law has been on it for about 5 years also. While he has been on the methadone he hasnt gotten high on heroin and stopped using crack. He works provides for his family and has been doing well.

He hates having to go to the clinic but he feels thats the only way he will survive.
In my own opinion the clinics barely ween these addicts off the medicine because if they did then they would be without money.

They say that the withdrawl from methadone is far worse than the withdrawl from heroin. I watch my abf withdraw my methadone and it wasn't a pretty sight.

The pesoon who takes the methadone shouldnt be high on it... if they are then that means their dose is way to high and they should get it lower. ]

If a person takes benzos with methadone then they could get high.

I guess it all depends on the person if they are using it to be clean or just abusing it like anything else. I have seen positives out of it and negatives as well.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My daughter has been on Methadone for around 4 months. I have to say it has been a lifesaver for her. She is on a very slow detox. She is lowered 1 mg. every other day. This seems to be working well. Since she began, she has attended meetings, stayed sober, and has a job 5 days a week. She wants to be off of Methadone, but is following a prescribed formula of a very slow detox.
jeepgirl
Old 10-04-2007, 07:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My daughter was on methadone and she was still using along with it. It was not a good thing for her. She said the detox was worse than anything she ever detoxed from. She is glad to be off of it. There are success stories as with anything. It is up to the person to use it responsibly and for all of the right reasons. From what I hear it has helped a lot of people put their lives together because they wanted it to.
From what I understand if they do well on it, they can taper down and then eventually go off of it or stay on a very low dose. I'm sure that is the way it is intended to be used, but most often it is abused.