insight? validation vs. intimacy

Old 09-28-2007, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
gns

insight? validation vs. intimacy

I am thinking today about the fact that validation is not the same thing as intimacy.

I have had validation in my relationships with men, but very little intimacy.

What are your personal experiences and thoughts about this?
Old 09-28-2007, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It is what it is

Maybe if you eleaborate a little I could understand better what you are saying. I struggle with intimacy so I'm still working on that. I only let people in so far. I'm hoping the codependency books will help me with intimacy. By the way, I understand that most people have trouble with intimacy (related to me by two pyscotherapists).

I don't need much validation from others as I'm pretty good at finding it for myself. In this new alcoholic relationship, I needed validation from somewhere because abf kept telling me it was me who was messed up and I knew it wasn't but I had no where to go with it except around and around with him. When we went to our couples counsellor, I found out that I was right so in that respect I did need validation because I didn't know enough about the disease. I look here for validation with my abf so I don't get sucked into to his stinkin thinkin. Al-Anon also helps with that.

Jenny
Old 09-28-2007, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I usually do a lot better with examples than concepts. But I'll give it a shot.

I think validation may be an ingredient in intimacy. Intimacy consists of many, many things. And sometimes different things at different times under different circumstances. I also think that no amount of outside validation with ever make a d@mn bit of difference if I cannot validate myself.

Is that the kind of thoughts you were looking for?

L
Old 09-28-2007, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
gns

Yes, it is that kind of thought.

I just realize that I look for man to make me feel better about myself. I want someone who appears to me to be socially successful to think I am worth something.

I am toying with the idea/realization that that kind of "validation" is not the same thing as love. It is not the same thing as intimacy - sharing myself with others, like friends and family. Intimacy like being "present" and seen and appreciated, valued and loved.

It seems less clear as I write it, I just think that what I was looking for with a man was not love, but feeling better about myself, or validation.