Notices

I am quitting today_please check in.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am quitting today_please check in.

Hi all,

This is going to be MY first day of (I hope) sobriety.

There are many of us struggling with this, and I hope some will join me here. From my reading I count at least 10+ souls who would like companionship with this journey, and are trying very hard to make this a sober day-maybe the first. So I consider it a "support" group, and the place where we can talk about how we are doing on a day to day basis.

A sort of "I didn't drink today" thread. For me, it is difficult to read the posts where people have years of sobriety and are so annoyingly joyously happy, because I know for a fact it is one day at a time. I have had as much as 10+ years (twice) and I STILL went back to the demon alcohol.

I gravitate toward the people who tell me "I drank last night and I want it to be different today". Somehow, I believe this is true for all of us. Boy, do I know that the problem is one drink away, and can start again that easily. I had an ex-husband who had not had a drink in 7+ years, and got a promotion at work. He then went to lunch and had "one" and his job never saw him again. WTF!!! They, of course, were shocked because he had such an exemplary record, but I sure did understand, (being an A myself-sober at the time).

So I am asking people to post on this thread who are doing it "one day at a time", or even more importantly, trying to start. Even if you have a gazillion years, please don't say that, tell us how you got up this morning and chose once again to live your life sober, today.

And most especially, I want to hear from all who are struggling. Who is starting...TODAY?

ALYCE

By the way, I am thinking of a person I know who has 30+ years who still will tell you when asked that she has one day-today. And she means it. I never forget her.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Quitting for today. Yesterday is history, and tomorrow is a mystery.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Alyce, you're so right, we are just one drink away from disaster. I was 3 years sober (after drinking for over 30 yrs.) and went out on a date for the first time in eons & didn't tell the person "I don't drink" - just drank the wine served to me and I was off to the races once again, even after all the hell it had caused me. We just don't get it, do we? Why is it so difficult - even armed with all this knowledge? Do we really believe "this time" we can handle it? We know better! I am at around 6 wks or so, but it is a very fragile sobriety. I am still waiting for the relief of not drinking to overtake the self-pitying stuff. In your case, you know you can do it, you're just wishing you'd feel more excited and happy about it - I completely understand. Hopefully those good, positive feelings will kick in for you soon.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Just for today...right attitude
Old 09-28-2007, 10:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies!

Any newbies want to join here? I am surely in this boat with you.

Alyce
Old 09-28-2007, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Alyce,

I'm working on day 7 today. I wasn't a super heavy drinker but a daily drinker with binging (sp?) also in my past. I started drinking when I was a Sr. in high school (now 44 yrs old) and was mostly binge drinking through college and early professional life on weekends. After I re-married, had a child and became a stay at home mom I became a daily drinker (2-3 glasses of wine in the evenings). My dad is a severe active alcoholic so I'm not taking any chances.

Anyway, I'm glad you decided to quit! I'm glad I did too. I have had some mild and somewhat strong cravings since I quit. If I'm in the car I when the craving hits, I stick a piece of gum in my mouth. My normal drinking time was when I was getting dinner ready for the kids around 5:00. So from 5:00 on is when my cravings seem to hit. I just try to stay busy and keep my mind off of it. It is one day at a time. I will have my first social outing this weekend. We have a family wedding/reception. I'm not sure if there will be alcohol there or not but probably at least champagne. I'm a little worried about it. But that's tomorrow right? Not gonna worry about it...

Thanks for your post....
Old 09-28-2007, 11:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm a newbie....just on my 4th day and here comes the weekend running at me like a freight train. I'm sure I'll be logging in a LOT over the next few days. This is the first time I've ever took "quitting" seriously. I'll be here if you need me.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm not a newbie, but I'm glad you're all here and posting, every day I pray for the newcomers to achieve sobriety!
Old 09-28-2007, 11:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Story of my life. Always a struggle. In a 20 year addictiction I have never had more than 60 days clean and that was just this year.
Well..My morning starts at night seeing how I work 3rd shift. But it is a struggle everyday. And starting to wear at me lately because I have almost a month again and money and getting bored again.
BUT....I have a new weapon!!!
Affirmations.
So simple and they work for me. I have been catching myself falling into the same ole "Remember when" thoughts recently. And I need to cut them off out the gate.
That is where I slip. Remebering back in the day when it was fun.
Well its not fun anymore and never will be.
Sobriety has been lonely and boring for me. I am use to a fast pace lifestyle always on the edge.
I have my family. But no friends. All my friends live out of state and most of them use or deal.
I have had to come to a hard conclusion that even though it hurts a little..I have to separate myself completely from them.
Today there was athread in substance abuse with a link to a HBO documentary of heroine addicts. All I saw in the description was crack use. And I clicked it.
My addiction took over quickly. And when I saw the girl smoking ..I was like mesmerised.
I snapped out of it and closed it.
I saw myself beginning to romance it again.
I cant do that.
I got a little sick for a minute. But I worked myself out of it.
The thread has been deleted Thank goodness.
The last thing I need to see is people using.
It's funny...I tried out of curiosity earlier to watch intervention on demand and it wont play. LOL.
That show has triggered me into relapse so many times.
But I see that today I wasnt on top of my game and I was letting my guard down.
So I had to go home and just sit and think and revaluate my thought pattern these past couple days.
I see old habits and thinking rising.
But I know now to red flag it and do anything I can to stop it before it progresses.
I am at war with my addiction. And this time I dont plan on surrendering.
I am doing better now.
I just Thank God I have more tools and am aware and willign to defuse a situation as before I would let it ride.
Hope all are doing well. Thx for the thread.
I am quitting these thoughts and staying clean for today.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Today when I woke up, I made a choice, today, JUST FOR TODAY, I WILL NOT DRINK.

NO MATTER WHAT!

All I have is today.......sober I have crappy moments, but I USED to have a crappy life.

IT'S WORTH IT!!!

YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!!

Tom
Old 09-28-2007, 12:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Alyce14 !!!
I am on day three! I can't even remember having a day three, since I left rehab two years ago.

I am all for having a support group. I am a member of another forum on the internet about animals, but its not the right place to be looking for help.

I would love to talk to other people who are going through the same thing. I usually get weakest at night, so having people to talk to at night would be great.

Take care!!! Good luck and stay in touch!!!
Old 09-28-2007, 01:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

WOW! thanks all for this thread. Its so encouraging to see others joining the sobriety wagon. I have always looked up to those at the meetings that say 2 years sober - 20 years sober. In my early recovery i wondered "Just how on earth did they do it" But now I am at 152 days, and I know that it CAN be done. One thing that keeps me clean and sober is:

Know thing just how far I have come and how hard I faught to get here and I will not pick up even one drink and waste all of that effort.

One sponsor said "that one sober day is better than no sober days" "Its easy not to drink, just dont pick up the bottle" and all the other lovely sayings.

My prayers are going up for you all today. Just remember that when those cravings come, and those annoying thoughts start racing around in your head. You CAN overcome it all. Many have, and your no different. You have the power to change your future. You are in control.

God bless and keep us all posted on your progress!

misslisa
Old 09-28-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Alyce and eveyone,
Great idea for a thread.
Good luck all! Keep posting and sharing
Old 09-28-2007, 02:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
one of many

I will not pick up a drink or drug today. If things get difficult I will contact someone in my program. I will bring to mind the evil things that my addiction has done to me and the wonderful life I have had that was taken from me. If things get difficult I will take it in 5 minute or 1 minute increments, but I WILL NOT USE TODAY.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Alyce! Welcome aboard. The fact you're already here mean's that you have good intentions. I'm sure you'll find some really great people on here. You're in good company.
I'm on day 5 today. I had quit for a while before but 7 months ago i thought maybe now that i'd been sober for a while i could drink "normally". Obviously i wasn't able to otherwise I wouldn't be here now!
To be honest I'm not finding it as difficult as some people appear to find it. As long as I don't have one I'll be ok. Because if I start I'll only stop when I end up unconcious. But there are moments when I really would like a few wee drinks.
However when I'm feeling like that I come on here, post how I feel, read what problems others are dealing with, and I end up feeling not so bad.
Today, for example, I was down to the last $70 to my name. I was feeling quite miserable about that, also because I have a bit of debits I'd really like to pay. I was feeling quite sad because I havn't been out much during the past few days and I was feeling kinda lonly. I came on here, posted how I felt. Read a bit. Went out for a coffee with a friend. I casually mentioned to him that I was down to my very last $70. I wasn't fishing for anything. But he insisted I let him buy me a meal. That was a very nice gesture I thought.
I believe this time it's going to work for real for me. The people on here are fantastic and such a great support.
Just take it one day at a time, even one moment at a time if that's neccesary. You can do this!
Let us know how you're getting on.
Good luck!
Old 09-28-2007, 03:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Everyone....Glad to see this thread ...
No, I am not newly sober
However...

For those interested in not drinking
I suggest you read these top 2 sticky post

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/

You are also welcome to join us in the
Alcoholism Forum for information and understanding.

You too can find a new healthy sober life.
Forward we go...side by side
Old 09-28-2007, 05:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober But Struggling

Alyce14,
Welcome, I am new too. I wish you luck today and in the future.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Alyce14
Gottaquit
Aldo1980
sobersilly
el ka bong
txar
Hevyn

You are the people I consider (on this thread) in my boat. I am finding it very helpful to know that there are people very new to being sober.

The other boat, the one we would like to get to, is populated so far by:
CarolD
Skunkape
Octoman
Misslisa
1_day@_a_time
Chynita
Astro
Mike_mass
ard_vark

I dunno, but I
Old 09-29-2007, 06:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yay! day 5 I made it through all the Friday evening invites to come "party". Mainly, I think because of this forum.Now let's get through Saturday victorious!
Old 09-29-2007, 07:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Alyce,

Almost three months ago I decided that I wanted to live...My choice was drink and die, or recovery and life...

I am thinking of you and all newcomers...You can do this...