Some thoughts on becoming aware of how negative thoughts harm.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living in the light

Some thoughts on becoming aware of how negative thoughts harm.

In recovery, I make a daily effort of being aware of my thoughts. Thoughts are very powerful. My mind controls my emotions and my mind is filled with whatever I put in it.
For example, when worrying over something, I feel fearful and apprehensive.
When affirming I am worthy of being treated well and deserving of happiness, I feel
hopeful and positive.
Negative thoughts destroy only myself. By making a conscious effort to be aware of
how I think, I can choose to remove negative thoughts and replace them with positive thoughts or affirmations. Becoming aware takes practice. Early in recovery a friend suggested I write down every negative thought I had during a 24 hour period. As I did this, I was amazed to see how deeply the patterns of negative thoughts were ingrained. I set about recognizing how old patterns or habits of negative self talk clouded my days and were destructive to me.
With time and lots of patient, challenging practice, seeking HP's guidance and letting go of thoughts that kept me stuck in old negative patterns or habits of thinking I grew in awareness. I discovered I had the power to change my thoughts. I am in charge of my thoughts and my attitude. I am responsible for my thoughts and my actions.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Frankie,

You read my mind today! I have worked hard to become a positive person... but lately I've been feeling those negative thoughts creeping back in. That Stinking Thinking has begun to invade my pleasant thoughts, and I find that I don't feel so good about things...

Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 4/14

Many of us develop a heightened awareness of our thoughts as we recover in Al-Anon. After a while, we are able to notice the change when our thinking becomes distorted. But if we wish to put a stop to negative thoughts, awareness is just the beginning.

When “stinking thinking” takes holds of me, I must do more than dismiss the negative thoughts. I must replace them with something positive or I am likely to slide right back into my negative thinking.

Our group ordered a collection of Al-Anon Conference Approved Literature (CAL) on audio-cassettes that I have gotten into the habit of listening to in my car when I’m driving around town. Even though I read these CAL pamphlets many times before, hearing them spoken out loud is a different and very powerful experience. If my attitude is not good, adjusting it by listening to Al-Anon wisdom on a tape, at a meeting, or one-to-one can get me back on track.

Today’s Reminder

Today I’m going to pay close attention to what I tell myself. If necessary, I’ll stop in mid-thought, start over, and replace negative illusions with positive truths.

“What we teach ourselves with our thoughts and attitudes is up to us.”…In All Our Affairs
Old 09-25-2007, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in the light

Amen cats. " What we teach ourselves with our thoughts and attitudes is up to us."
Today when I drift into stinking thinking I have choices. I can practice awareness, self discipline and get into the solution. The practice of writing down the negative thoughts, then crossing them out and writing down positive thoughts helps me reinforce my mind with positive thoughts. It's great cognitive therapy.

Last edited by frankie_b; 09-25-2007 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This reminds me of the "Secret"
Old 09-25-2007, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I too have found that negaitve thinking never empowers a solution...it just puts me in a victim role. I'm at a point where I self check routinely. Sometimes the stinkin thinkin gets me when I am unaware, but I have found I catch myself much more quickly than I used to. Sometimes I just am not in the best place, but I need to acknowledge that, give myself time to get through it and then move on. I'm fortunate that my daughter is also working a program and we can catch each other. Often, just by changing the negative to a positive, I can change my outlook.

One thing I have noticed is that the more I surround myself with positive energy, the more I see the positive in others. What we project is reflected.

Thanks Frankie - great post!!
Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm a big believer in the saying "If you can't change your circumstance, change your attitude".

The power of positive thinking has always amazed me even when I lived in the land of worry and fear.

Today I think as positive as I can, I remember to be grateful and let faith, even blind faith, guide me.

Good thread, frankie, and good food for thought.

Hugs
Old 09-25-2007, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living in the light

Today I live as positive I can as well Ann. Progress not perfection works for me.
I can and do focus on how I think and can quickly discern thoughts that are harmful to me. The power to replace negative thoughts, the power of positive thinking is one of many tools at my disposal.

I no longer allow problems to overwhelm me. Problems bother me only to the degree I permit them to. There is a way to live in the solution rather than think about the problems constantly.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

frankie
what a great idea to write doen our negative thoughts for 24 hours. It will really show us that we can control we think. Hopefully our list will get shorter as we learn to work our recovery. I know I don't keep negative thoughts as long as I used to. I agree, progress not perfection. I feel good about being able to let go of those negative thoughts. Thanks, Frankie!
Terri
Old 09-25-2007, 05:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread Frankie.
We need to continuously remind ourselves to focus on positive thoughts and to cultivate an attitude of gratitude.

The worry and fear is always just a heart beat away. Sometimes it creeps up on me and I can get all teary eyed in an instant.

I don't discuss the troubles with my AS to anyone at work and only with a very few close friends. I often think to myself, "If they only knew how worried I am over him."

Anyways, I try my best to live in the solution. And I like to remember H.A.L.T.
When I am Hungry, Angry, Lonely and/or tired.....I need to stop and take care of me.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living in the light

sobercuse, cultivating an attitude of gratitude does wonders. Early in recovery, my double winner (AA and Alanon) reminded me often to write down things I was grateful for.
Working with her was the best!!! She was always available to listen to my worries, fears, rants LOL and gently nudged me into the solution. Subtle and always loving, she had the best way of gently "pulling my covers" LOL

Making a gratitude list is one of the BEST ways I know of elevating my thoughts and spirit.

I have Sarah Breathnach's Simple Abundance : A Daybook of Comfort and and Joy.
I highly recommend it. It's uplifting and written from a woman's point of view. Think I'll take it down from my bookshelf today ! Abundance is all around me each day in all I open my eyes, heart and mind to receive.

As long as I'm alive, I'll have feelings of fear, worry, and sadness. I'm human. And being human I feel joy, peace, happiness as well.
Being human is beautifully imperfect and I'm grateful today for all my humanity.

Thanks sobercuse for your honest sharing and for the reminder about HALT.

Thanks to all who've responded to this thread. I'm glad to be here with you
sharing ESH.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is the post I have been looking for for weeks!! Thanks to all of you. The one thing that pulls me down almost everday is thinking of the things that he did with no regard to his us during his month of secretly using and drinking. Then my anger sets in, and more negative is produced. Then I call my friend, and she sets even more negative in my mind. "Kick him out, take the baby and never let him see her again." I don't feel like it has come to that yet. He found a bottom, admitted everything to me (instead of telling another lie) and got back into his program. I don't feel like I should send him packing the one and only time he relapses. He had almost 2 years in after 12 years of drinking everyday and using drugs on a regular. The only time I feel like kicking him into the street forever is when I have all the negitve thoughts. I can't even function when I'm feeling that way. So I'm going to come to this post everytime I start feeling negative!! Wish me luck - it just may work for me!