Notices

Back and scared

Old 09-25-2007, 03:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back and scared

Finally I am coming back to recovery. I have lost myself cause I relapsed. I am scared cause I dont want to go back to drinking and i need help. I have lost alot cause of my drinking and now I am ready to live life on lifes terms. Drinking caused me to go to jail and some other not so good things. i am in AA and go to counseling. Is there any advice I can get so i dont relapse and keep go on the right path.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yep, keep on the right path...

there aint anything that happens in life, that just one drink (ya, right) will make any better...

all good wishes shemp...

xxoo, rz
Old 09-25-2007, 04:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

All we can do is to stay into the now. This isn't a easy deal to do but it is doable. I never thought that I would make it over 5 days and today I have acquired quite a few of those 5 days with the help of many. Knowing that I can not do this deal alone helps. Sending all best thoughts your way.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shemp,

Welcome back!

Make recovery your priority every day. You can do this!
Old 09-25-2007, 04:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
i am in AA and go to counseling. Is there any advice I can get so i dont relapse and keep go on the right path.
Stay in AA and continue counseling.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you again....Welcome back!

When I started my Step work...my recovery
felt more solid and really possible.

Blessings
Old 09-25-2007, 04:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Welcome back..I am back too. I have found that I can not let my guard down. Not for a minute.
I also have to cut off any and all thoughts of using before they even get a chance to make a thought in my head. And really...Take it day by day. Dont get ahead of yourself and just for the NOW if you have to.
I hope it works out for you this round.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome back it's good you're back in recovery, things can only get better when you get clean. Keep us updated please.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep with the AA and counseling and good luck.What you've said reminds me that it only takes a few seconds to slip up so you have to keep your safeguards in place to help you battle on.I try to make short term plans and to keep busy and i think that even though i haven't made a big deal of this with family to stop drinking,privately i don't want to let myself and them down.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

WB Shemp! I've been hearing alot lately about how relapse is part of recovery....my point being most of us have been there and are now enjoying continuous sobriety. So.....keep coming back

"It ain't over till your six feet under" :Jumprope:
Old 09-25-2007, 06:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
let it grow!

glad you're posting agian, shemp. blessings, k
Old 09-25-2007, 07:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back...

Hi Shemp,

Try to think in the positive no matter how tough things may seem...In time you will have the strength to battle any problems that come your way...

Keep posting...
Old 09-25-2007, 11:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Drinking caused me to go to jail and some other not so good things. i am in AA and go to counseling. Is there any advice I can get so i dont relapse and keep go on the right path.
Don't drink, continue your counseling and AA.

Read. This whole board is filled with advice & stories... seek out the wisdom and experience of others and try to implement some of that into your life.

Good Luck.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Glad you're back, Shemp. You and I are two of the fortunate ones...not everybody makes it back!

I've been hearing alot lately about how relapse is part of recovery
Sorry...I don't agree with this philosophy...and, I think it's a cop-out and/or justification. I set myself up for my relapse, after four months of "sobriety"...I was working the program, but only half-a$$ed...and got involved with another alcoholic way too early in my so-called recovery. I was a relapse waiting to happen; and, surprise, surprise!

I prefer to emphasize what I heard after I got back into AA (with a vengeance)...Relapse is not a prerequisite for recovery. You don't have to relapse to prove to yourself that you don't have to relapse.

As for being scared, Shemp...fear is an absence of faith. Have faith in yourself, AA, and your counsellor...do the right thing and the right thing will happen.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good luck to you - I am scared too. I know what that feels like. The vulnerability is awful - it is almost a physical pain, eventhough we know it is emotional. Try something pleasurable - I take bubble baths and listen to soothing music. I close my eyes and just drift away and somehow the urge to drink goes away. Or I go for a walk with my dog and just get fresh air. Exercise helps. Stay away from situations that trigger your need, like parties, bars, etc. Read a good book - it can take you away and make you travel to another place in your mind. Learn to knit. Keep posting here - it will make the time pass, give you something to do, and get that pain out of your soul. Good luck to you....
Old 09-25-2007, 01:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Shemp. Way to go on coming back. We've all been here and we all understand being scared. I live in the Midwest also. Won't say where, but, Go Vikes!!! and I've also lost everything. In fact, I just got back from home because someone here at work gave me a coffe table. I didn't have one. Point is Sometimes Ithink we have to lose to realize that "yeah, this disease is only taking from me, and unless I get it under control and stop losing to it, it will keep taking from me until I have nothing.

I'm 9 days sober and I'm already gaining. It doesn't take long.
All we have to do is not use for today.

Good luck and welcome back