Notices

Know Your enemy

Old 09-25-2007, 01:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Know Your enemy

I was thinking about cravings last night and how they come in different forms. To kill a little time (and have a bit of fun) I wrote this. Maybe you can add some of your own

Meet the Crave family. A depraved wicked bunch who have one objective in life – to stand between you and a peaceful fulfilling life.

The Herman Munster Crave
This character is all brawn and no brain. He is the village idiot. He solely relies on brute force and will pounce on you screaming “drink drink drink!” at any time of night or day. Although brutish and strong he bores easily, so the best defense is to ignore him for a few minutes he will eventually give up. He cant really catch you by surprise because his approach is about as subtle as a Wilderbeast crashing out of the undergrowth but his strength can be somewhat unsettling at times

The Mick Jagger Crave
Seems to have been there for as long as you can remember. Refuses to retire. He’s not as powerful as Herman but he’s persistent. He’s like white noise in the background that never really gives up. A quiet longing to drink that neither fades away or strengthens. Fighting him requires resilience. Like Victoria Beckham he just doesn’t know when he’s not wanted. Continued exposure however eventually creates a resistance and over period of time he will become barely noticeable.

The Madonna Crave
Seemed to be there constantly in the early days but as time progresses just pops up once in a while to perform. Usually found in social situations she follows you round the room nagging quietly in your ear that you don’t fit in, you are a bore, why not have a drink it will feel so much more comfortable? Has the ability to catch you when you are most vulnerable and can be hard to resist. However, she rarely ventures from where she is most comfortable – social arenas – so the best defense is to avoid places where she can be found lurking until you are well into your recovery.

The Master Crave
Craving in its most devious, developed form. Referred to by many as “the momentary madness before the first drink” this is as tough as it gets. It uses stealth to creep up on you unnoticed. It will point out to you in your own voice the craziness of stopping drinking. It will make you think “I’ll have just the one”. The complete opposite of the bumbling Herman Munster crave this onc is barely recognizable as a crave itself for it appears to be your own thoughts. But once you have that first drink it throws off its cloak to reveal its true identity - but its too late. The first drink has taken away your will. Alcoholics appear powerless over the Master Crave but it doesn’t have to be so. Good support can provide the defense tools to fend this one off. Be on your guard though because there is no telling when he might strike next.

This morning I have had a couple of Herman Munsters and of course the Mick Jaggers. May have to tackle a Madonna later in the day during a business lunch
Old 09-25-2007, 02:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love it Octo. So pleased you are here.

I have one.

The "Avalanche" crave. It starts small and is supposedly unrelated to where you are. It's a small noise off in the distance but causes disquiet. A slip up of thought that isn't quite right. It is often related to not accepting the quiet stillness of things in life just as they are rather than how you want them to be. It builds all on its own and suddenly you find yourself rolling downhill out of control.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hilarious!! Love it... I have been battling rock and pop stars and didn't even know it.

R.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

brilliant octo...

how bout the WC Fields crave... Cranky! lol
Old 09-25-2007, 04:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Know Your Enemy! WOW

Look in the Mirror: I have found that my worst enemy is myself and glad that there are people around that point it out to me when it starts to happen also.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is good!
Old 09-25-2007, 10:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Awesome post Octo!

Jeez, I love Mick Jagger lol.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Old 09-25-2007, 10:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

So then there'd be the 'Jeri Hall' crave -
the one that makes you think you're better looking if you have just one or two - so what if your speech is just the littlest bit slurred, and everything goes all fuzzy and everything you say is stupid? I mean, if you just have a couple, you'll be more relaxed and fun, right? Pretty much do anything to fit in, ya know?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

LMAO great work Octo

D
Old 09-26-2007, 01:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey guys,
I can relate to the idea of the avalanche crave Pilgrim, I really can! I had something like that last weekend. I had spent a pleasant day walking in the local countryside with my family. We stopped on the way home at a local country pub to have some food. We all sat outside because I didnt want to enter the bar to order. It was lovely sitting by the duck pond having a chat. I started to think it would be nicer if I could have a drink and how sad it was that I never could again. No big deal, just a little thought. When we had finished and were walking home it was repeating in my mind but growing in intensity. The more I thought about it the more annoyed I became. Its as you say, an avalanche just hit me from nowehere and I felt myself gripped by an overwhelming sadness and a huge desire to drink!

Oh and Barb, I knowthe old Jeri Hall all too well. I start off awkward and thinking I look like quasimodo and end up thinking I am Brad Pitt! Unfotunately to others I just look like a drunk quasimodo lol
Old 09-27-2007, 06:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hey octo... hope today is a bit better for you?

been thinking about this thread... ut-oh! thinking...

for me, i see it as the cravings are only after i have that first drink...

before hand, it was a obsession... that was lifted...

and now, just thoughts of a drink... and the thoughts do go!

good wishes octo
Old 09-27-2007, 09:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Octoman I Love this.

I think I'm a cross between Herman Munster and the crave family.

I tried to put a picture of my addiction monster on here for ya but it wouldn't work.

Barb